Home

EP3 Space Battles Map *spoilers*

hatrus

Hey My names Hatrus, and I have an idea for a map based on an EP3 space battle . Im a vehicle Modeller and I have most of the vehicles complete. There will be vehicles from EP3 made by me as well.

Im not a mapper, and Orbitius, DZ, and James Culley are all too busy to help. My idea is based off of the siege_destoryer map and/or deathstar_trench. But its not seige, its ffa and tffa. The Idea is simple. The Blue team is based in a hangar of a Droid Control Ship, CIS fighters deploy from there where the Republic deploys from a modified Republic Assault Ship hangar. I had a RAS model made already that could be combined with map brushes to form the outter hull and hangar of the ship. I was hoping one of your mappers here would partnership with me on this.

This is what I have so far:

Geonosian Fighter

Droid Fighter

RAS Static Model

EP3 jedi starfighter

This is what i am making still:

Droid Bomber

Republic Clone Fighter

EP3 jedi starfighter 2

I expect this to be a very popular map since it will contain vehicles from EP2 and EP3 that havent been made for JKA yet, plus its a space battle with dogfighting.

PM me if your intrested.

well i think its pretty simple to make a map like this only thing you need is to make 2 big hangar ships in 3d max (or whatever you use)

and place them in a BIG! HUGE!!!! empty map

whit a nice sky texture that shows the planet

and make some team points and ffa points and stuf give it a nice name and your done

maby some music and a nice startupscreen and thats all there is to it ;)

(don't forget lights)

if you make big hangar ships i coud make it for you if i vind a litle bit of free time :o

Yeah, even if it's just two huge modddles in a huge room. Those HUGE moddles alone will kill FPS and then you've got to add the smaller ones plus the people. THe best thing to do would be like what Raven did in their Destroyer map, make 2 rooms and have them connected together by a small corridor with a hyperspace effect. The only prob with that in this map is that everyone is on the offensive/deffensive meaning that it'll take at least five people per team and they'll have a hard time finding the corridor.

Not if the corridor is mark with Hyperspace Nav Boueys. The way I want to do it is like on destroyer. The CIS team will be the ones that hyper in from their hangar, as soon as they leave the hangar, so the actual control ship wouldnt have to be modeled, just the hangar. the acual battle would take place at the republic assault ship.

That makes more sense. Since my other map that I started has lost my interest for the time being. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot (if you'd like) it won't be awesome quality but I'll give it my best shot. The only prob is that I'll be away for a weak (vacation at the beach :D ). I might be able to check e-mail though it's: danielkennedy902-at-hotmail.com.

What might be interesting would be connecting SEVERAL space-battle arenas with hyperspace corridors, easily marked somehow (you could easily write a shader that looks like a HUD image and make it a flare). I'd love to see a map that successfully combines space and ground combat, where you could take off, blast some TIEs, land in a Star Destroyer and run around sabotaging the thing or something.

But it's all realistically impossible in the JA engine, so hey.

PS - Request forum?

Good Idea Wedge. I was told that you cant get much bigger then siege_destroyer in map size. But would it actually be possible to make a map that automatically goes to another map, like in SP? When you finish a level it auto-loads to the next. Its that possible with a MP map? That way we could combine "battles" in a saga sort of thing. Like start with the battle of geonosis, that moves onto another map, then another. Is that possible? OR would it have to be coded by a programmer? If we could only have maps as big as SWBF maps, then it would all be possible.

Could be done, but you need to know some more programming than my brain has right now.

But yes I made many big maps for JKA and most ended up with bugs and stuff. :(

Maybe you can make it for battlefront? ;)

*edit* fixing up your post because the bad spelling made my head hurt.

-Sith

*reply on edit* sorry for not being a spelling wonder

-Nokill

• 2 weeks later...

the biggest FPS problem you'll have is the animating turbolaser turrets - they were the biggest FPS eaters in my deathstar_trench. (well i did put 15 of them in, but hey. it needed it.)

if you keep the brushwork very simple, and use textures to give you the detail level you want, this should be totally do-able.

the hardest part of making this map idea would be the custom coruscant planet skybox. everything else is pretty simple, and would play well too if built properly.

the siege_destroyer map uses about 66% of the available radiant grid. so, you can go bigger. you have to watch your VIS data size (use a big chopsize or blocksize like 8192), and your lightgrid is ridiculously lo-res on maps that big (a lightmapscale of 8.0 would be typical), but its do-able. my deathstar_trench map uses the entire X-Y space available (128,000 x 128,000) and a large Z distance as well (32,000).

Archived