Home

New version of nwnnsscomp!

Originally posted by Arlen Treesong

I tried to do it through project manager, I followed everything you say, but it gives me a [continue] [exit] error stating it cannot find C:/Program Files/LucasArts....... k_inc_force.ncs

why is it looking for ncs file???

What are you trying to compile?

Arlen Treesong tried to compile

k_inc_force.nss

k_inc_force in an include file and is not compiled as a stand-alone script. You need to place k_sp1_generic.nss in that folder and compile it instead. (It has the #include "k_inc_force" directive in it.)

Originally posted by envida

Sweet, not having wildcard prevented me from using this version

Thank you :)

You're welcome!

It was just a matter of getting the time to figure out what was causing the error and fixing it. (Like always!)

In this case, the problem was the TCLAP code that processes the command line. Since it is intended to work in environments where the shell expands wildcarded names before the commandline is processed, it was using the '*' character for another purpose (which we don't care about). I substituted a '$' for that purpose, allowing the '*' in file names to work right. (obviously, this is the short explanation, heh heh).

I just reformatted my computer, so I'm guessing there's some file that I've forgotten to download, or I haven't done something I needed to do, because I'm getting this when I try to compile a script:

'nwnnsscomp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

I just reformatted my computer, so I'm guessing there's some file that I've forgotten to download, or I haven't done something I needed to do, because I'm getting this when I try to compile a script:

'nwnnsscomp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

You'll see this message when the command interpreter could not find what you wanted to execute in neither the local directory nor in andy of the directories in your PATH environment variable. If you type PATH in a command window, you'll see all of the directories that will be searched.

For me, I usually just place the compiler and the scripts in the same place, CD there, and execute the command line.

Nwnnsscomp 1.03 can reside in a different directory from both the source and output files, as you can specify paths for both of those separately. Just CD to the directory where nwnnsscomp is, then exeute a command line like one of the examples in the readme.txt file.

Email me if you have further questions.

(P.S. You can always is the Project Mananger in Kotor Tool, too, if you like GUI's better)

When I extract nwscript.nss to a directory that contains also the script I want to compile, the compiler tries to compile nwscript.nss when I use:

nwnnsscomp -c *.nss

I know I can specify the game version but I was wondering for the international users who have that syntax error in nwscript.nss.

edit: forget that. I found out :D

It was just another RTFM problem:rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

Hello, everyone.

Can you please help me to get this working? I can't seem to get it to do anything, it won't even find the files(they're sat next to it in the same folder of course), let alone compile them into an .ncs.

Needless to say, the first and most obvious question is how do I know if the nwscript.nss file is the right one? You say in the opening post that it has a syntax error, yet what that error might be, and how to correct it...

...can anyone elaborate?

Secondly, how can I test if mine is the bugged one? I didn't extract it from KotoR II myself, as I haven't a clue how to do that, but I found it in my Override folder, evidently left in the Source Scripts by a scripter who'd uploaded work and left it in. Needless to say, if he/she has created scripts that I've DL'd, that would suggest at least that this nwnscript file is ok. Afterall, if his/her file had the syntax error, he'd never have been able to compile his/her scripts and finish his/her mod... n'est pas?

So... if for the moment we can assume that this nwscript file IS ok, can you help me to understand how to get this tool to work?

At present, I have the compiler, my .nss UNcompiled script, and the nwscript.nss file all in exactly the same folder... so it shouldn't have difficulty finding the script.

Now, I go to Start, and choose "Run", and I type in: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\nwnnsscomp.exe -c ss-peragus-items.nss", but I get a Windows error "thump", saying, "Windows cannot find file "Program". Please make sure you typed in the name correctly" etc.

Ok, so it can't handle spaces in a filepath, I guess. Seems a bit odd to me, since I was led to believe that "Program Files" is the default folder into which software such as games get installed, so I'd have figured more people would've had this error.

Regardless, I moved the relevant files UPwards, and put them in "C:\Compiler". No spaces there, and a short filepath that should be easy to find. This time I type, "C:\Compiler\nwnnsscomp.exe". Still it tells me it cannot find it.

Please can you help? I've tried so many different things. Double-clicking the .exe is of course right out(tried that). And the maddening thing really is that I'm only trying to compile ONE simple script. All the batch functions, wildcard facilities and so on, and all the fiendishly clever features that I genuinely appreciate you must've worked really hard on, are far beyond my own modest requirements. I simply want it to look in one folder(where the compiler is), and and find one .nss script, and create a compiled version in the same folder.

But I can't even get Windows to execute the compiler. :(

Any chance you can help? I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

I know if the nwscript.nss file is the right one? You say in the opening post that it has a syntax error, yet what that error might be, and how to correct it...

There should be a link in this thread to a corrected version of nwscript.nss. I don't remember exactly what the problem was.

At present, I have the compiler, my .nss UNcompiled script, and the nwscript.nss file all in exactly the same folder... so it shouldn't have difficulty finding the script.

Since I don't use KotorTool's version of nwnnsscomp I don't remember for sure, but I think you need to stick the nwscript.nss file and any include files used in the game's override folder for it to find them.

(Personally I prefer tk102's version of nwnnsscomp which keeps the nwscript.nss file in the same folder as the compiler and any include files in the same folder as the script being compiled. Makes it easier to organize projects in folders and such, and to integrate the compiler with a text editor. Personally I like using UltraEdit to write scripts since it allows you to run the compiler with the press of a button, and presents any error messages allowing you to click on one to go to that line in the script. Makes it much nicer to work with than having to fiddle with the command line all the time Like:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
ultraeditnsszn3.jpg
)

Now, I go to Start, and choose "Run", and I type in: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\nwnnsscomp.exe -c ss-peragus-items.nss", but I get a Windows error "thump", saying, "Windows cannot find file "Program". Please make sure you typed in the name correctly" etc.

You should probably run it via a batch file with a pause (like more) following it, or from the commandline (type cmd in the Run box], otherwise you won't see any feedback or error messages the compiler outputs before the window closes.

As for your problems to run the compiler it's hard to tell what might cause it without knowing what you are doing and how exactly.

Hi, Stoffe.

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. It turns out that what you posted has proven FAR more useful, and indeed simple, than you might have imagined. I followed your link to the thread where I can DL the newer file, and it also gave instructions for using KotoR Tool to compile scripts. It's incredibly simple, and it works! Even a techno-iliterate such as myself can follow it, and KotoR Tool compiles scripts quite handsomely in no time at all.

Given how easy it is to use KotoR Tool to do this, and given that - unless I am mistaken - it's written by the same author(ie. Fred Tatra), it does leave me wondering why anyone would still use the NW Compiler. Seems a little obsolete to me, not to mention very complicated and difficult to use... but I guess some folk do have their reasons for sticking to this method. As I say, I'm not the most techno-literate of folk, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

Regardless, KotoR tool does it perfectly satisfactorily, and I am very grateful to you for providing that link. Many thanks. :)

Archived