Home

Dont know much about specs

Jamps

I'm looking for an affordable laptop that could run Kotor1 and 2 on a reasonable graphics setting (medium-high) without freezing up.

I found this -

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/95420/originURLEncoded/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.circuitcity.com%252Fccd%252Fcategorylist.do%253FN%253D20012961%252B20012963%2526catOid%253D-12963%2526c%253D1/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs

but like the topic states I don't know if it would work, and if it wouldnt what would?

Thanks a lot. (im pretty sure i posted this is the right place.)

hmm, its a tough call, but instinct tells me that the game will have some problems (at the least) for two reasons:

1. the shared video memory means that you'll only have 384 MB of RAM. kotor II will run with that much available RAM, but it won't run well. this isn't really a big reason but it ties directly into...

2. ...the integrated graphics. kotor II does support the desktop version of the chip include with that laptop, but i'm not to sure about the Go! version of the chip. that, and its been my experience that neither of the kotor games run very well, if at all, on integrated graphics.

to be completely honest though, my expertise only stretches so far, so the only way you could know for sure would be to try it out for yourself. unfortunately, you can't exactly do that. :(

IMHO, if you need the laptop for something (school or work related), go ahead and get it, because that's a good choice for a laptop. just don't worry too much about trying to get the game working on it. besides, it can be quite a distraction.....;)

hope that helps. :)

and you should have posted this in the Workbench forum ;)

thanks for the responses guys, your a real help.

I was hoping to find a laptop at a good price because me and my friends have been talking about setting up lan games for games we have, but its obvious im not going to find a laptop under $1000 that can run kotor on great detail without freezing. (I dont need a computer for school just yet )

Can anyone show me some good desktops? :jawa

well, if you're lookin for a good machine for under $1000 (USD, i'm assuming), then i'd recommend checking out eMachines computers in Best Buy or Circuit City.

they use a mix of off-brand parts and name brand parts, but they've proven to be quite reliable with good tech support, and they're cheap.

things to look for:

Processor- AMD Athlon 2800+ or better

Memory- 512MB DDR-333 or better

Graphics- an AGP upgrade slot

if neccessary, ask the salesman to bring up technical specs and ask them to tell you what kind of upgrade slots are open on the particular model you're looking at. trust me, the AGP slot is vital to you having a good machine. and the reason is simple: eMachines does not include video cards with their computers. you'll have to buy one seperately.

for the video card, i recommend either an nVidia GeforceFX 5200 or an ATI Radeon 9200. if you can fit better cards than those in your budget, then go ahead and get them. those are just the cheapest cards available that will run most games without many problems.

now, things like a big hard drive, a dvd-burner, and other little things should be considered if you're going to use them. otherwise, its just wasted cash.

now, i know this is a lot information, but you have to consider a lot of information before you buy a machine. just keep these things in mind, and you can easily get a good machine for under $1000. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an emachine sunday for around 600 bucks, it runs all of my games on max settings. I'm going to buy kotor this week and see if it runs. If not ill just buy a graphics card and put it in the agp slot.

Thanks man.

Archived