Home

Republic Commando's Ending *spoilers*

Usurpo

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!1!!!1!1111!!one!!111!

Anyone else think the ending sucked? Not only is it anti-climatic, blowing a defensless ship out of the freaking sky, but then getting yanked out before you can search for Sev? I mean, would a Republic Commando give a flying freak if some green midget told him to leave his brother and squad mate behind? :confused:

Even though the ending was somewhat of a letdown, I still like the game itself.

I think the game should have implied more options and challenges.

Spoilers...

For example, when you need to place the bomb on the middle of the bridge connector, it would be nice if there were around 5 areas it could be placed with only one being correct. That way you have to take a chance based off the information you saw earlier in the briefing. To make it even harder - just knock out the communications with the advisor. :p

I wouldn't have minded a choice to go back and save Sev and it ending then - at least giving the player choices would have made the game better than a console-port.

Here's looking to an expansion that ties up all the loose ends. It would be nice to see some more other RC squads and possibly saving/joining a Jedi General in battle - if the engine can take it (no need for the lightsaber action, that can be cut away with disappearing acts and cinematics).

But as a favour from the developers, the expansion should cost half the price of the original game. :)

I don't know, I kinda thought

that Sev was saved, since the squad was sent right back down and Yoda wanted to meet up with the squad, implying entire squad, not just 3/4 of it.

That could just be me though. :p

An expansion would be great. I mean, this was a reaaaaaaaaally short game. One more planet would have been ideal...

Originally posted by Usurpo

I mean, would a Republic Commando give a flying freak if some green midget told him to leave his brother and squad mate behind? :confused:

Yes it would. Clones were designed to lack independence, and although Commandos have more independence then most clones, they are still likely made to be unquestioningly loyal.

As far as the ending being anticlimactic, I agree. The ship blowing up didn't bother me too much, but when I left Scorch behind, I got myself all ready for a really tough fight, all on my own. Then when I just fought a room with some Geonosians, and not even elites, I was like, "thats it?"

Yea, the most climatic battle towards the end had to be when you and Fixer went up against that Spider droid...of course, I hadn't used any ammo from my Wookie Homing Rocket Launcher...so the droid was promptly 'pwned'.

Also, I gota contest your comment about the loyalty. ARC troopers, one slot higher on the food chain of clones, do NOT have the loyalty-chips implanted in them, unlike their much more plentiful bretheran. As Commandos come between the common Soldier and the ARC, it would only make sense that Commandos have a lessened loyalty aspect. Besides, if Boss truly thought that finding Sev would be the most beneficial thing to do for his commanders, (the Jedi) its only logical he would do it. The Republic Commando book has a section where they talk about how Commandos were trained to intrepret their orders as need be, because a misuse of wording could send them to their death. Thus, with the 'get the hell out of there' order, they could do that, AND happen to swing by Sev's turret.

Yes, the Spider droid is kind of the thing i expected to find on my own (even though it wasnt much challenge because I was able to have Scorch slice the door and we just went right past him). I was just waiting for another spider, a droid dispenser, a magnagaurd, even some geonosian elites. I was very shocked to find basically nothing.

Republic Commandos are not ARC Troopers. The fact that they have more independence then regular troopers is obvious from the fact that Boss even considers disobeying his orders shows that. But still, the fact that they are not ARC Troopers means they do care (even if they are capable of breaking their orders, they still do care about them). I'm perfectly willing to say that they are not fully loyal, but they do "give a flying freak if some green midget told him to leave his brother and squad mate behind?" As far as being able to interpret orders, they were explicitly told not to go after him, there is no way to interpret that differently. Of course, as KaBuTaR said, it is possible they interpreted Yoda's orders to go after Sev.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

Yes, the Spider droid is kind of the thing i expected to find on my own (even though it wasnt much challenge because I was able to have Scorch slice the door and we just went right past him). I was just waiting for another spider, a droid dispenser, a magnagaurd, even some geonosian elites. I was very shocked to find basically nothing.

Republic Commandos are not ARC Troopers. The fact that they have more independence then regular troopers is obvious from the fact that Boss even considers disobeying his orders shows that. But still, the fact that they are not ARC Troopers means they do care (even if they are capable of breaking their orders, they still do care about them). I'm perfectly willing to say that they are not fully loyal, but they do "give a flying freak if some green midget told him to leave his brother and squad mate behind?" As far as being able to interpret orders, they were explicitly told not to go after him, there is no way to interpret that differently. Of course, as KaBuTaR said, it is possible they interpreted Yoda's orders to go after Sev.

So we both win. :p

Yea I completely agree with all of you guys, the ending was quite a bit of a letdown, it just felt like they kinda ran out of gas or something at the end.

On another note on the ending I'm really confused on what is happening. I even played the epiloge twice and I'm still confused.

So the Republic is invading the Wookie homeworld? How does Detla squad tie into this? I understand the basic things going around in the SW universe (Republic turns into the Empire by creating an "imaginary" crisis). But these details are kinda confusing, could someone clear them up or point me in the direction where it can be explained to me?

Originally posted by mic03

So the Republic is invading the Wookie homeworld? How does Detla squad tie into this? I understand the basic things going around in the SW universe (Republic turns into the Empire by creating an "imaginary" crisis). But these details are kinda confusing, could someone clear them up or point me in the direction where it can be explained to me?

I could be mistaken, but I got the impression that what was meant by invading Kashyyyk is that they were going to bring in overwhelming force to root out the Seperatist/slaver strongholds.

*possible ep. 3 spoiler ahead*

I'm thinking that in ep.3 we will get a better understanding of what is going on. My guess is that the ending was a large part of the episode 3 spoilers that were supposed to be in the game. Of course, being unspoiled myself, I have no way knowing for sure.

*end of ep.3 spoilers*

As far as how Delta squad fits into this, they were sent in before the main invasion force to strike an enemy stronghold, and prepare for the coming invasion. It sounds like Delta squad will also be involved in the actual battle, most likely doing special operations like those during the battle of Geonosis.

My take on it anyway.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

I could be mistaken, but I got the impression that what was meant by invading Kashyyyk is that they were going to bring in overwhelming force to root out the Seperatist/slaver strongholds.

*possible ep. 3 spoiler ahead*

I'm thinking that in ep.3 we will get a better understanding of what is going on. My guess is that the ending was a large part of the episode 3 spoilers that were supposed to be in the game. Of course, being unspoiled myself, I have no way knowing for sure.

*end of ep.3 spoilers*

As far as how Delta squad fits into this, they were sent in before the main invasion force to strike an enemy stronghold, and prepare for the coming invasion. It sounds like Delta squad will also be involved in the actual battle, most likely doing special operations like those during the battle of Geonosis.

My take on it anyway.

*Possbie EP3 Spoilers*

Personally, I think leaving Sev behind all but guarentees him being in the moovie...its just to convenient, ya know?

*****NEARLY GUARENTEED EP3 SPOILER*****

I think Yoda and his force were called away to Kashyyk to do whatever the hell it is they thought they were doing (probably the slaver routing, as Tinoktin said...Yoda did talk about Wookie freedom not being sacraficed...) as a lure. While Yoda is gone, the Jedi Purge and Anakin's fall begin. This is information drawn through seeing some EP3 pictures and through analysis.

Originally posted by Usurpo

*Possbie EP3 Spoilers*

Personally, I think leaving Sev behind all but guarentees him being in the moovie...its just to convenient, ya know?

No, it's convenient for a sequel. Not a part in RotS.

Well if you were into star wars in the 70/80s then you would have been able to read the books... and you find out that the wookies do infact become slaves to the empire as do alot of other races and are in that way for a long time.....Persoanlly i think this has something to do with why the clone wars turned really bad... the wookies were just a diversion for the jedi. If you can find the stuff (it is over 20 years old now) you will be amaized at the background to the stories. Its totally different from the new mumbo jumbo they are spitting out now!

I think the end is left open for an expansion or the Extra content we've been promised, personally i think the game is as long as some others but as its such a fast moving game then you dont notice the time going by or the longevity of it.

To me the only thing that lets it down is the multiplayer.

Heh. Oddly enough the teasers they show on ep 3 with the Wookiees all standing and cheering their great victory made me smile, cause in the back of my head I'm thinking, "Heh, just wait a couple months, and you're all slaves, even worse than you thought the Trandies did to ya."

Guess that's a darkside impulse.

I kinda wonder if Delta squad will have a cameo of sorts in Ep3. I kinda doubt they'll look the same as in RC, as their armor designs are just way too cool, but with comp graphics being the way they are nowdays, who knows, we might see a scene where in the foreground are like Yoda and such, and off in the corner background you the 3 remaining commandos hoofing it across the way. They won't get pointed out, but it'll be easter egg kinda stuff for those who played the gam.e

I doubt they'll be in it. There might be some mention of there deeds but nothing more than 'Recon reports Sepratist activity on Kashyyyk' or something like that. Kachiro (Is that how you spell it? Haven't seen the actual spelling in a while, you know the wookie city) might be in it, if the Republic is setting up their forward command there.

Again, I doubt this will show up, but it would be nice to have a scene where the movie main characters enter a Kashyyyk room, only to find the carnage left behind by Delta.

"jeez, who blew up all these destroyers, super droids and...spiderbots?!"

Originally posted by TK-8252

No, it's convenient for a sequel. Not a part in RotS.

Yeah. Delta Squad is not going to be in Episode 3, Usurpo. At least not with a noticeable part.

Originally posted by Voran

I kinda wonder if Delta squad will have a cameo of sorts in Ep3. I kinda doubt they'll look the same as in RC, as their armor designs are just way too cool, but with comp graphics being the way they are nowdays, who knows, we might see a scene where in the foreground are like Yoda and such, and off in the corner background you the 3 remaining commandos hoofing it across the way. They won't get pointed out, but it'll be easter egg kinda stuff for those who played the game.

I dunno, I think Ep3's creation was started way too long before Republic Commando's to include that. Still, it could be, since starwars.com does have an official Databank entry for a Clone Commando, with a screenshot from RC.

I recall reading that Aayla Secura (a blue Twi'Lek jedi from the EU, for those who don't know) was added in post-production, so you never know if G.L. could decide to have Delta Squad have kind of an easter egg appearance in the background. (All of Aayla's shots in AotC had her in the background, and she had no lines. This could be done with Delta Squad.)

I personally liked the ending. Delta is going back into the action, and Scorch is probably gonna convince 38 to search for Sev. It's enough material for an add-on, a sequel, or a mod.

I'd like to see them in Episode three, but although GL had some influence on the game, i don't think the game will have influence on GL.

EDIT: GL did mention he wanted to have the commando's color-coded in the game (The were totally white before) because of something he was going to do with Episode three. So who knows? Perhaps Kashyyyk isn't the only movie tie-in...

If they do make a nod towards Delta Squad in some way in Episode III, it will tie everything together perfectly. There's no arguing that Republic Commando is pure quality, and being the perfectionist I am, i would more than support an inclusion of some kind in Episode III.

Only time will tell.

Originally posted by Doomie

I personally liked the ending. Delta is going back into the action, and Scorch is probably gonna convince 38 to search for Sev. It's enough material for an add-on, a sequel, or a mod.

I'd like to see them in Episode three, but although GL had some influence on the game, i don't think the game will have influence on GL.

EDIT: GL did mention he wanted to have the commando's color-coded in the game (The were totally white before) because of something he was going to do with Episode three. So who knows? Perhaps Kashyyyk isn't the only movie tie-in...

Indeed, they definately should make an expansion for this game, the ending sucked big time :mad:

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

Yeah. Delta Squad is not going to be in Episode 3, Usurpo. At least not with a noticeable part.

I dunno, I think Ep3's creation was started way too long before Republic Commando's to include that. Still, it could be, since starwars.com does have an official Databank entry for a Clone Commando, with a screenshot from RC.

Actually on film2005 here in the uk there was a trailer for EP3 and from the look of it Delta or some republic command squard are involved in the film not taking a central part but being in the storyline somewhere. I know i just watched it lol

Archived