Home

Is Battlefront dying?

Darth Sinical

and i quote

GC is a Star Wars Extraveganza, with many new maps, more vehicles (most of which are Neatly animated), film Accurate Sound effects and more fun than some official Star Wars games...

if thats not comparing it to an actual game, i dont know what is.

Originally posted by Darth Sinical

It seems to me the best play value would be to buy the game that was designed to play what you want instead of slapping a MOD on another game to convert (when there is a game available for the subject).

Oh, give me a break. A mod can perfectly well be thousand times better than a retail game. A low-budget project is not necessarily worse than a high-budget one.

so why torture yourself for a Retail game, when you can have a mod for free, that is rated better.

You have to have BF 1942, so it's not really free:p .

Originally posted by The_Preacher

if thats not comparing it to an actual game, i dont know what is.

I have never played "Some". Is some a good game? On which points exactly is it better?

That's not comparing, too vague. Unlike comparing the score for 1942 and SWBF

If you reread my post one should notice I generalised the point system of various sites for mods and games.

As Alegis stated "Note; it's an essential if you own a copy of 1942. ", I have no interest in purchasing/playing 1942. I think it would be crazy for me to buy a game, never play it for it's intended purpose, and slap some skins on it to pretend it is something else. I'm sorry, but in my opinion it would be a more enjoyable experience to play a game as designed then one that is being forced to be what it is not. (Before you all go nuts on this statement - I'm speaking in general terms, there are always exceptions. So, your mileage may vary).

Have a good day! :)

I have never played "Some". Is some a good game? On which points exactly is it better?

this is a moot point. it doesnt matter wether "some" refers to Battlefront or not.

what it DOES mean and what it stands for is that the Galactic Conquest mod IS INFACt better than one of the other Star wars games.

wether that be star wars battlefront, or return of the jedi on teh SNES.

the Mod Beat a Retail Game.

and thats ownage imho.

"I think it would be crazy for me to buy a game, never play it for it's intended purpose, and slap some skins on it to pretend it is something else.

Have a good day!:)"

My solution: Play BF1942 for its original purpose and play GC:D!

Just for the reason you put down above, though (and it's a good point), I'll say I hope BF 1942 becomes free some time in the near future. It's also likely it'll be included in a package with BF 1942, its mods, and BF 2, or something like that...:rolleyes:. Meh.

It'll have to be noted, for fairness's sake, (Preacher, over here?)however, that GC had a severe downtime only about a few months ago. Only about... four people were on-line playing it on average. So if downtimes are indicators of a game's quality...:pJoking, Preacher.

BF isn't a bad game as such, despite shortcomings (which GC certainly has had plenty of earlier and still has a couple of) but it caters to the arcade audience, which I'm not a part of. I prefer more complex games like GC.

A few days. Maybe a week. Battlfield was huge right from the get go. I mean look at how many mods there are for it.

Right now, as of 5:50 a.m. EST Friday, March 18th, there were 875 players on 784 servers (with a ping lower than 9999) playing an un-modded copy of the newest version of Battlefield:1942. I didn't even count people playing the Road to Rome or Secret Weapons expansions, to make it somewhat comparable. Getting rid of servers with 9999 ping you get 875 players on 784 servers.

Using those same criteria, there are 60 players on 73 servers in Battlefront version 1.2.

I don't think Battlefield:1942 in it's first three hours after release had less than 60 players.

It's just a shame, that's all. I think Battlefront should have a wider audience, but I'm afraid that regular Joes don't play it, Star Wars fans do, while regular Joes might find Battlefield appealing even without being a WWII or Vietnam buff.

Yeah, but BF 1942 was the "first" game with both FPS and vehicle action (I know it was far from the first - it followed titles like Code Name Eagle - , but it got recognition as the first). Battlefront isn't really new the same way.

If Battlefront was among the first games that let you run around on foot and then hop into vehicles, I'm sure it'd earn long-lasting fame. However, it isn't, and I don't feel it uses Star Wars's potential well enough. It could have new things not found in this kind of game too often before (space battles, for example), but it didn't.

Unfortuantely, issues present upon release (FPS cap, connection and browser issues, and so on) can cause a game to fail out of the gate. Most players just give up and move onto other games. That appears to be what happened with Battlefront.

Originally posted by TK-8252

It'll die quickly because most of the devs have cleaned out their locker and gone home, despite how blantantly unpolished this game is. There's just a few left desperately trying to clean up the horrible mess they call the full game, by coming back and rewriting the MP code months after the game's been released.

If only they had actually released an SDK for modding and coding, not half-assed mapping tools, maybe the modding community could have helped keep the game alive since the devs aren't putting fourth much effort. We got very few mappers in the SWBF community, who are making mediocre (no offense if any mappers are reading this, just my opinion) maps that lack the depth and sophistication of the maps the devs made. A lack of dev and community advancement will surely lead SWBF to an early grave.

Me, I'm playing Republic Commando. With the UT engine it will surely make for some good modding material in MP.

...just because you quit it and don't like it that much anymore dose'nt mean everone has...its alive and will be for sometime...but I really could care less! muhhaha *goes of to play halo2*

Well, I personally think it's having a slow death but it's getting there. It just didn't have enough support from the get go. Not too many great reviews, and some problems that deterred people from buying it or continuing to play it. I always beleived that modding was what could save it, but modder support just never seemed to come. Again, this is just my humble opinion. I'm off to play RC.

Archived