Home

Maybe America isn't as bad as we think...

Lady Jedi

Originally posted by GothiX

Gay. Marriage.

There, 'nuff said.

Oooo, one thing, and its becoming legal. :rolleyes:

It just isn't recognized, I don't think people get arrested for somehow getting married to the same sex in a state that doesn't allow it.

"Watcha in for?"

"For getting married." :-\

TiE

Originally posted by TiE 23

Oooo, one thing, and its becoming legal.

Wonderful, not ONLY did you ignore my request to discuss the topic at hand, you apparently don't pay enough attention to the politics to be able to make an informed statement about that topic, since there were 11 states this last election who passed strict bans on gay marriage, nor did you recognize the implications that the ONLY reason they passed those bans is because of Christian ideals and beliefs, which means that our government IS, in fact influenced by religion.

If you want to continue that discussion, you may do so via PM with either me or Gothix. There will be no more such posts in this thread, any such posts will be summarily removed.

Well, fine. :rolleyes:

I did hear on my local talk station about the news of the average life expectancey rising. And they pointed out how other countries are higher than us. It made me think of reasons why this could be, but I couldn't come up with a conclusion for it.

TiE

The average American diet would be my guess.

Fast food is becoming a more common "meal" for the American family. This is leading to increased obesity rates and thus, low life expectancy.

But while we're getting fatter and more likely to have heart problems, we're also getting more advancements in the medical field, which allows for some gain. But that doesn't mean we should stay on this path of making fast food our common meal.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Or a box of Krispy Kreme donuts... >_>

no honey? hey, talk about donuts, there's a world record for eating only 4 powdered donuts without licking your lips. Think you can do it?

Originally posted by TiE 23

Oooo, one thing, and its becoming legal. :rolleyes:

It just isn't recognized, I don't think people get arrested for somehow getting married to the same sex in a state that doesn't allow it.

"Watcha in for?"

"For getting married." :-\

TiE

Where did I say people would get arrested for it? All I'm saying, is that couples of the same sex are not allowed the same law benefits as couples of different sexes.

(Thereby, I'm referring to various tax benefits married coup[les have according to American law.)

Originally posted by GothiX

Where did I say people would get arrested for it? All I'm saying, is that couples of the same sex are not allowed the same law benefits as couples of different sexes.

Isn't there any anti-sodomy law left? Does that apply to both heterosexuals and homsexuals? I'm not sure.

Originally posted by InsaneSith But while we're getting fatter and more likely to have heart problems, we're also getting more advancements in the medical field, which allows for some gain. But that doesn't mean we should stay on this path of making fast food our common meal.

Supersize me? :D

There is a pretty large amount of anecdotal evidence that DIET is one of the major causes of anti-social behavior. So while governments and older people have been blaming everything from comics, to sex and violence on tv to video games for the decline of society, it may turn out to be the fast food industry that has had the biggest effect.

A study in the UK found that by giving parolees daily vitamins the reoffending rate was reduced by about 85%, far better results than any other method such as reeducation, stiffer sentances or electronic tagging.

Unfortunately the government cut its funding before it could do a bigger trial.

I saw a documentary a while back when they removed E numbers fromt he diets of half a class of primary school kids (including one halfof twins). Within a few days their attention span had doubled, their disruptive and anti-social behaviour had reduced significantly and their grades started going up.

Even last week on that Jamie's School Dinners programme they got one kid to eat healthily for a week and his tantrums and innatention almost stopped. Then they gave him sweets as a reward and an hour later he was screaming and bouncing off the walls.

Unfortunately the average school dinner in the UK has to cost under 37p per student, so the odds of them getting healthier "brain food" are pretty small. So i guess we will keep having to blame GTA or something. :D

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Yes.

Anyway, shouldn't we get back on topic (per ET's request)?

Yes. Gothix, I wasn't talking ONLY to TiE. That discussion should have ended or been finished via PM. This isn't the thread to do it in. I'd kindly ask that you respect my wishes.

Archived