Home

DLG/UTI/UTC/MOD Language Converter v1.0

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to make the converter add, rather than replace, ExoLocSubstrings for another locale?

And is there a way to make the converter make ExoLocSubstrings for all valid locales from English to Polish, not just a specific one?

If not those would be a rather useful features to make sure your mod is playable on all versions of the game, if you would be willing to add it.

• 2 weeks later...
@stoffe: v0.4 now supports multiple languages via the -t switch. You can use

-t 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

if you want to support all languages.

Thanks a lot, that will be very useful. I'll put that to use for the next version of my arena mod. :)

I hate to be a bother, but is the converter capable of working on UTC (creature template) files too? The FirstName field more specifically...

If not, it would be another handy feature if it's not too much work.

(Or I could stop putting off finishing my own GFF class and make it capable of adding new fields and substrings I suppose...)

I have a question about NTSC vs PAL: Someone downloaded one of my mods and they told me that the all my .DLG files showed up blank (no words) yet the selection was there. Not to mention that all the custom UTCs I created had blank names. He didn't say that he had a version of KotOR II in another language, so I assumed that it was in english, but he did say that he's in the UK using a PAL version of the game.

So i'm wondering if PAL is using a different language ID and if so, I have no Idea what type of "English" it is, but if it is using "Language ID=0" than why would it show up blank unless it's a masculine or feminine issue, yes? Another strange thing is: I wonder why all the character graphics actually showed up on his PAL machine with no problems, since I'm NTSC, That's odd.

So my big question is - Can we actually make our .dlg and .utc files compatible for PAL along with NTSC?

I have a question about NTSC vs PAL: Someone downloaded one of my mods and they told me that the all my .DLG files showed up blank (no words) yet the selection was there. Not to mention that all the custom UTCs I created had blank names. He didn't say that he had a version of KotOR II in another language, so I assumed that it was in english, but he did say that he's in the UK using a PAL version of the game.

I'd say it's a lot more likely that he has a non-english version on the game or a custom dialog.tlk with non-english settings. There is no reason and it makes no sense to have different localization for different video standards.

What localization strings are used is determined by the language id set in the dialog.tlk file.

At least for the PC version the UK/English version uses the same localization strings as the US/North America version.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bother you, but I am not exactly familiar with using a command prompt ... also I would not really like to spend hours editing the 200+ item descritions provided by the USM one at a time :) Could you roughly explain how to run the program in Bulk mode? Where do I need to type the commands??

EDIT: I think I learned how to open the command prompt, however I can't change the fodler it shows by default (my personal files or how it's called in English :) ) and the command doesn't seem to work ... any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT2: Nvm, it works after I copy the .exe into the folder shown ... it'd still be nice to know how to change that folder though :)

Sorry to bother you, but I am not exactly familiar with using a command prompt ... also I would not really like to spend hours editing the 200+ item descritions provided by the USM one at a time :) Could you roughly explain how to run the program in Bulk mode? Where do I need to type the commands??

EDIT: I think I learned how to open the command prompt, however I can't change the fodler it shows by default (my personal files or how it's called in English :) ) and the command doesn't seem to work ... any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT2: Nvm, it works after I copy the .exe into the folder shown ... it'd still be nice to know how to change that folder though :)

You might like to read this article on the command prompt:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1723

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bother you guys with the same question again but despite trying for over an hour and reading Fred's link (I know DOS, you see I'm not exactly a teen anymore ;) ), I still didn't manage the the "bulk" mode.

I copied the dlgconv.exe into the folder with the .uti files I want to convert, but when I enter the expected syntax from the read me (the way it applies to my own folders of course), I just get the same "DLG language converter 0.5 etc. etc." with the list of languages.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Plz. tell me.. i just got the game but its german language.. plz someone help me to get the game to english, i just dont undestand how i tryed the program but no luck... can someone just zip the english thing and post it to me? coz im like a n00b on this kind of things.. PLZ HELP ME!!! POST ME THE IT PLLZZZZZZZZZ

I just got the game, but it's in German. Please, someone help me to get the game in English, I just don't understand how. I tried this [language converter] program, but no luck. Can someone just zip the English thing and post it for me?

Which game is "the game", KotOR1 or TSL?

The game only contains text and VO for the language it was shipped in. The language converter just flips the locale of text strings in localized string data to make them display in games with language settings other than English. This will not translate anything. Besides, localized strings are essentially only used in mods. Rarely, if ever, in the standard game.

Even if someone wouldn't mind to zip and upload more than half a gigbyte worth of english voiceover sound files it would probably be pretty illegal to do.

If you only want the standard game text to be in English and don't mind everyone still speaking German audibly, you could download a mod from PCGM that contains an English language dialog.tlk file.

I think one of the Force Power mods (not the High Level Force Powers one though) contains a dialog.tlk file you could use. Replace the one located in your game folder to get the game text in English.

so can i put that file to the KotOR 2?

There is only one way to find out... :)

(But this is starting to get off topic in this thread since it doesn't have anything to do with the Language Converter any more. You should probably start a new thread if you have further questions about this.)

Yes. You can either install the mod itself, or just extract the dialog.tlk file and place it in your SWKOTOR2 directory.

(snip)

You'll still hear German speaking, but the captioning will be in English*.

*=most of it, some lines may still appear in German due to the German dialogf.tlk that still exists

Installing that mod wouldn't do any good since the dialog.tlk file is in the backup folder (which apparently was included by mistake), thus it isn't used by the Mod installer (which just appends the new entries to the existing dialog.tlk file). You'd have to copy the file from the backup folder into the game folder.

As for the dialog.tlk + dialogf.tlk thing, I assume it should work to make a copy of the English dialog.tlk and rename that copy to dialogf.tlk and use it? They should both be the same format anyway.

Yes. You can either install the mod itself, or just extract the dialog.tlk file and place it in your SWKOTOR2 directory. I recommend making a backup of your original dialog.tlk file.

You will also need to use stoffe -mkb-'s TalkEd utility to set this new dialog.tlk file to "German" so that your German dialogs will cooperate with it. You'll still hear German speaking, but the captioning will be in English*.

*=most of it, some lines may still appear in German due to the German dialogf.tlk that still exists

Edit: (reply to above post's reply...) Ah, good idea -- just duplicate the dialog.tlk so you have a dialog.tlk and dialogf.tlk. :)

• 3 months later...
Is there a way to make the converter add, rather than replace, ExoLocSubstrings for another locale?

And is there a way to make the converter make ExoLocSubstrings for all valid locales from English to Polish, not just a specific one?

If not those would be a rather useful features to make sure your mod is playable on all versions of the game, if you would be willing to add it.

Hi,

I don't know if happen only for italian conversion, but did you know that adding a local ExoLocSubstrings, Kotor tools isn't anymore able to open the .uti file until you remove these strings with KGFF??

Ciao

• 8 months later...

I have a question to the Language Converter. Is there a posibility to convert the languages of all files in a folder without choosing each file via hand?

Yes it is possible to convert all files in a folder if you use it in bulk mode. Do do this you will either have to run the language converter from a command prompt, or make a shortcut to it and set the parameters in the properties window of that shortcut, since you'll need to configure it via commandline parameters.

There is an example in the first post in this thread of a commandline used to convert all files with a DLG extension to the german locale:

dlgconv -i "c:\my files\*.dlg" -o "c:\my files\german" -t 4

This would convert all DLG files found in the my files folder on the C drive to the german locale, and store the converted files in the german subfolder within that folder.

Archived