Home

Ender's Game

toms

My sister sent me a book to cheer me up after i broke up with my girlfriend and my computer died (not related). I'd always heard Ender's Game was a classic Sci-Fi book, but never got around to reading it.

I have to say i thought it was really good. Not the best book i had ever read, but one of the best ones at describing strategy, tactics and battles (even if they are all in a game).

Made me wish our RTS games were more like the games he could play, with enemies that reacted dynamically and adopted your tactics, etc..

I also think it would make an excellent (if hard to film) movie.

Must go and find the sequel now...

(thats the only problem with SF/Fantasy books, they never write just one.. it is always trilogies... or more...)

Originally posted by toms

(thats the only problem with SF/Fantasy books, they never write just one.. it is always trilogies... or more...)

And this is a problem how? :D

That sounds like something my brother would like, he likes stuff like that. He likes war strategy stuff. Theres RTS games all over the place. :p

Well you may be glad to learn that they ARE in fact working on an Ender's Game movie. THe rest of the Ender's game series, and then you need to read the Ender's Shadow series, which is ALSO extremely good.

Then if you decide you really like Orson Scott Card you can read the homecoming series, because I thought those were pretty fantastic.

I really have like the Ender's series. I have the final one to read in it and then I have the first two of the Ender's Shadow series to read. I am really excited to read them, if only I didn't have stupid school work and junk like that.

Originally posted by toms

My sister sent me a book to cheer me up after i broke up with my girlfriend.....

Sorry to hear about that....

and my computer died (not related)

....but that made me crack up :p

I think I read one of those books, i love to read and sci-fi is kinda my thing.

Originally posted by General Agamemnon

if you want some more good sci fi novels, and im sure ET will agree with me on this one, just look at our avatars, but if you want to read some good sci fi books, try the Dune Chronicles.

Whatever, I totally hate Dune..

Only...the opposite of that...I <3 dune, and I totally recommend it.

Ender's Game is absolutely incredible! I'm reading Ender's Shadow right now, and these are the only two books that have ever pulled me in so much that I actually shed a tear (or ten), and at one point in Ender's Shadow something surprised me so much that I dropped the book. Ahhh good times. :D

Must. Read. More.

yes, Dravis, you were right. :xp:

Sounds like a cool book. I'll pick it up if I ever see it.

I also want an rts game that allows your characters to actually duke it out, and not repeat one move over and over :D

Especially in medieval rts, where the swordsman repeatedly stabs the pikeman while the pikeman pokes him until he himself runs out of hp and falls down. Have some kind of fight or duel between the two or something... :p

*wishful thinking*

BEAN!!!

Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite writers. Up there with Zahn and others.

Like ET said, you should read the rest of the Ender Books (but keep in mind they arn't the same as Ender's Game), then pick up the Bean books, and if you want something else to read, the Homecoming series is good as well.

I got to meet OSC at my High School and got Ender's Game signed by him. He's a pretty cool guy.

Can't wait for the movie to finally come out. The Zero G matches would be awesome to see in action.

Yeah, a game where enemy leaders actually had personalities with flaws you could exploit, but which they would then learn from and fix... and with sub commanders you could give objectives to and then leave them up to their own devices as to how they did it. A game where enemy forces pulled back and rallied and then counter attacked... rather than just tank rushing you. :D

----------------

I had always pegged OSC as a generic sci-fi writer for some reason, did he do a few movie novels or something?

I'm also often disappointed when i finally read "classics", so it was nice to have one that was genuinely unique and interesting.

The problems i have with all sci-fi/fantasy being part of a big series is:

(a) You can nver just have a "quick read" as you then end up having to track down another 8 books or so.

(b) Promising starts are almost never carried through all the books, so you often end up going off the whole series by the end.

© Since sci-fi/fantasy is so much about filling in gaps with your imagination, often the extra details added in the sequels ends up ruining your own concieved ideas of what is going on. (I call this "the episode 1 effect" :D )

---------------------

A movie could rock!! At least they have a serious director (troy aside). The screenplay credits look promising too. OSC is credited, and the other two are the guys who worked on X-men 2 (cool) and are working on Logans Run and Superman Returns.

The only thing i worry about is (a) a lot of the book is Ender's internal thoughts, ideas and feelings, and (b) there is a lot of kid-on-kid violence, i cant see the film studios being happy to leave that in.

-------------

PS/ OSC's other credits include:

- The Dig (1995) (VG)

- The Secret of Monkey Island (1990) (VG) (insults writer)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think they are PROBABLY going to be using adolescents / young adults for the movie, as opposed to little children.

While that is a strong deviation, it seems like it is a necessary one, because talented young actors are VERY hard to come by, and they're going to need a LOT of them.

That's ironic...

About three weeks ago I arbitrarily picked up Ender's Game while in a random bookstore.

Consumed that novel in two days, moved onto Speaker for the Dead (I thought the concept of a 'Speaker for the Dead', speaking the unaltered truth, kicked ass), and i'll start Xenocide once i'm through with A Brave New World ;)

I'd rank it up there with Dune, but then again, nothing beats classic novels about worm poo (as Chairwalker calls it)

Ender's Game was the first actual sci-fi novel I read. I still love it. ^^

The movie really scares me, though. Because I REALLY want it to be GREAT, if it's made. And that's just such a hit and miss thing...

At least they have a decent director (little iffy on him, though, since he did Troy...) two seemingly good screenplay writers (they both did X2, which was a great movie), and Orson Scott Card is apparently also writing the screenplay.

I won't be very happy if they go teenager for the characters, though. Not very happy at all.

Originally posted by Redwing

The movie really scares me, though. Because I REALLY want it to be GREAT, if it's made. And that's just such a hit and miss thing...

x2

...two seemingly good screenplay writers (they both did X2, which was a great movie), and Orson Scott Card is apparently also writing the screenplay.

The way I've heard it, Card wrote the first screenplay and now he's passed in on to the other guys to write the second draft. The great part about that is that the writers know basically how Card wants it to be, so that's a plus. Here is a link to the site.

I won't be very happy if they go teenager for the characters, though. Not very happy at all.

I really hope that they keep the ages on track; that's one of the things that make the books so intriguing. :)

when i was thinking of a movie adaption I though that they might have to bump them up to teenagers as well... which actually wouldn't bother me to much as i thought a lot of them read more like teenagers in some ways anyway.

Still, if they are trying to make it a "fun sci-fi film) i'm still not sure they'll want even teenagers kicking each other in the head, etc...

--------

I wouldn't read TOO much into OSC being credited as a screenwriter... scripts often go through loads of re-writes and get half a dozen or so credited screenwriters... but often there is almost nothing of the original contributions left. And his name might even be removed fromt he credits by the time it gets finished. WHo knows. Still, fingers crossed.... i'm off to find Speaker for the Dead...

They could do CG like that Final Fantasy movie, and not have to worry about "destroying" little children's minds with all the "violence."

[book Spoiler]

Ender does kill someone at school... and it'd be a tad bloody...

In the end, I'd rather they did CG and keep the children in the movie, instead of doing real actors and having to bump ages to teenagers. I think part of the shock (for me anyways) is how the military is taking genius children away from their families and into space to train for the Space Forces.

Besides, what are they going to do about Bean? He's a giant when he's a teenager. :/

That last part is a spoiler to Ender's Shadow Phreak ;)

I actually think this movie might be better were it a fully CG-movie. Alot of the really cool things would be easier to implement methinks, ESPECIALLY the battle room.

Ender also killed Stilson before he even left earth, and I think taking out both of his murders really leaves a hole in the persona of Ender Wiggin. The entire reason he's the savior of earth is because he doesn't just beat his enemies, he CRUSHES them.

The movie was just slashdotted:

"According to the Fresco Pictures website, David Benioff (writer of the screenplay for Troy) has been signed on by Warner Brothers to write the script for the movie adaptation of Ender's Game. Rumors of the Ender's Game movie have been circulating for a long time now, but this is the first time in a while we've gotten some definite information. The movie will be a combination of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card." Well, gosh, with Troy under his belt, all my concerns about the movie sucking are straight out! *cough*

The new info is also up at the Fresco site.

Archived