Home

What disappointed you in SP? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

adillon

i do not want this topic to talk about anything technical, such as bugs and/or glitches in the game that can be fixed. instead, i want to discuss various aspects of the storyline that didn't quite 'feel right', elements you had hoped would be in the game, that sort of thing.

it's a great game, and i don't think anyone here who has played it will be bashing the SP campaign in any major way, but there's always room for improvement in anything.

for me, it was ...

when you were clearing out the 3 hangars in the ghost ship. upon arriving to the 3rd, and final, hangar, the droids are already occupying the space in overwhelming numbers. eventually, the advisor supplies you with some HEAVY weaponry, the All Terrain Tactical Enforcer (AT-TE), which shows up via the lift. granted, it made things a ton easier to destroy the shield generator, and to destroy the last of the droids, but i SOOOO wanted that thing to move. let me drive the thing, pulease?! not that there was, uhh, much room to maneuver. hehehe

what, if anything, disappointed you?

I disliked a few things:

The game never explains how the Trandoshans took over the RAS Prosecutor or when the ship was attacked. All they said was that the Prosecutor was "lost" 2 weeks ago. "Lost" could mean that she went out of comms range.

Also:

The squad leaving behind Sev flabbergasted me. Why couldn't they take a short "detour" on the way to the gunship to see if they could at least try and save him?

I also didn't understand why the regular clone troopers were made so weak.

Originally posted by Cheech Marin

The squad leaving behind Sev flabbergasted me. Why couldn't they take a short "detour" on the way to the gunship to see if they could at least try and save him?

I tried to save him anyway, but each time I tried my game crashed. I guess they really dont want you to save him...

I didn't like the part of the game after you leave the last commando at the turret, and go off on you own. I was all amped up, ready to have a tough fight on my own, but all there was to fight were some Geonosians (not even elites). It was like the game might as well have ended before that. It was kind of anti-climactic I though.

About Trandos on the RAS:

They were probably aided by the Separatists. That's where they got all the droid hardware that they usually couldn't afford, like all those Super Battle Droid Dispensers.

About Clone Troopers:

Yeah they're way to weak. They really shouldn't have dumbed them down and they even made that first one you meet on the RAS a traitor. It would have been nice if you could have commanded those Clone Troopers on the RAS to follow you, move out, heal themselves with bacta, etc. There's really no point in even helping them other than you feel like a good citizen.

Considering that the Clone Troopers in RotS are going to kick even more ass than in AotC, with the Jedi extermination and all, it's going to make Republic Commando's interpretation of the troopers look even more off.

Content wise I liked it. What did get me was the idea that every 10 feet there seemed to be another bacta terminal.

Sure I used them alot, because you seemed to take quite alot of hits that break your shields. I know they couldn't flat out copy Halo, but a higher shields capacity, less frequent placement of bacta and limited bacta supplies might have made the game feel a little more tense. Kinda like how the weapon/shield terminals in Jedi Knight games had limited charges.

Perhaps its just my preference, but I kinda wished the default rifle hit harder and fired slower. And had a red energy trail. Guess I'll have to wait until mod tools come out.

The whole mechanics of standing in front of a bacta vending machine and letting it glow on ya to heal you, struck an odd chord with me, but not game breaking. Same with revival by pulling out a battery pack defribirilator and zapping your buddy (or getting zapped yerself) in the noggin.

Otherwise a nice game. Nice music, good atmosphere, humor, action, and only a little frustration.

Originally posted by Voran

Content wise I liked it. What did get me was the idea that every 10 feet there seemed to be another bacta terminal.

Same goes for ammo and grenades. You just used it all and behind the next corner you find yourself some fresh one. Perhaps it would have been better if you really had to go easy on ammo or had to take up enemy weapons to survive. I did pick up enemy weapons but found myself using melee attack every opportunity I had. Seemed to help very well against trandos, droids and even droidekas.

And what about droid dispensers being in closed rooms? How the heck did they get in there? Same goes for those tanklike creatures on Kashyyyk.

As far as that, I liked the game. Only, it was soo lineair. You couldnt even take another route or tactic. The only choice you had was between hacking the door or blowing it up.

Hmmmm...let me see...I think SP was near perfect, I guess I was disappointed with MP mostly...for example, in JA all the models used in SP are brought over to MP, from Jaden to Boba Fett. So why is it that RC, having used models such as the Geonosian Elite, Super Battle Droid, Battle Droid, and Geonosian Drone not bring those over to MP?! It would add so much diversity! MP gets old, fast, when it's only Trandos vs. Clones. I mean, come on, in SP we only fought trandos 1/3 of the time!

The first thing that struck me as disappointing were some of the attitudes of the regular Clone Troopers. At first, seeing the two cheer you on in Geonosis and say something about Delta being able to win the war themselves. The clones were created to be remorseless and go into battle fearlessly.. they wouldnt cheer the arrival of 'the cavalry'.

Also on the RAS Prosecutor, you get a CT who mouths off at how perfect you're made. This kind of jealousy is impossible for a regular clone to convey. The Clone Troopers themselves may be human, but their independance is majorly reduced. They are nearly autonomous and wouldnt have feelings like the ones shown here.

They were also made to be very weak which may have been the plan to make the Deltas look superior, but this could have been done in another way. The major battles with other CTs are minor, but I would have enjoyed to see atleast one instance of ranked Clone Troopers giving orders to others etc..

Seeing as they had Temuera Morrison lending his brilliant vocal work to this project, Id have loved to hear more speech from the regular clones too..

In general, when you are involved in open conflict, it should be more widescale than a couple of clones here and there. The termoil should be all around you..

My second gripe is the length of the game. Seeing that planet on the left of the Campaign screen really irrits me!

Not to mention the ending being a real kick in the face!

Only an expansion can make up for the shortness of this excellent title.

The Extras were a welcome afterthought, but that's all they truly were.. a minor addition. I was hoping for an 'actual' Temuera Morrison interview over a promo..

I havent played Multi yet, but the addition of more player models and even having faction teamplay (CIS vs Republic, etc..) would make things interesting. I dislike Gamespy and hope that future LucasArts titles make use of their own inbuilt server browser. RC used the UT engine, so why not use its equally brilliant server browser?

I do hope that the team rolls out a follow up to this or even releases extra missions etc.. support makes a game shine even more.

Originally posted by MaximumMayhem

The first thing that struck me as disappointing were some of the attitudes of the regular Clone Troopers. At first, seeing the two cheer you on in Geonosis and say something about Delta being able to win the war themselves. The clones were created to be remorseless and go into battle fearlessly.. they wouldnt cheer the arrival of 'the cavalry'.

Also on the RAS Prosecutor, you get a CT who mouths off at how perfect you're made. This kind of jealousy is impossible for a regular clone to convey. The Clone Troopers themselves may be human, but their independance is majorly reduced. They are nearly autonomous and wouldnt have feelings like the ones shown here.

They were also made to be very weak which may have been the plan to make the Deltas look superior, but this could have been done in another way. The major battles with other CTs are minor, but I would have enjoyed to see atleast one instance of ranked Clone Troopers giving orders to others etc..

Don't forget the Clone Trooper who hid in the torpedo bay.

When I first loaded up the game and landed on Geonosis, I was disappointed to see Clone Troopers whining and getting blown up all over the place, and that they've screwed up the image of the Clone Troopers from AotC. It's not genetically possible to have the whiny/cowardly Clone Troopers that we saw. That kind of selfishness was taken out of their genetic code.

But the two Clone Troopers who cheered you on in the beginning were fine, because of how the jealous trooper on the RAS talks, it sounds like the regular Clone Troopers were taught that "commandos are superior to you." It'd be cool to see some of the deluxe models running along with you in battle.

When I start modding RC, one of the things I plan to do are put some usefulness back into the Clone Troopers. Modify their lines so they don't sound whiny or cowardly, take their embarassing screams out, and make them not so weak.

In general, when you are involved in open conflict, it should be more widescale than a couple of clones here and there. The termoil should be all around you..

Unless you mean the very beginning of the game, you weren't involved in open conflict. They were special operations that had you behind enemy lines, where you wouldn't have too many others around. Besides, I would rather have the game run nicely, then have a hundred guys running around and getting in my way.

Seeing that planet on the left of the Campaign screen really irrits me!

I assumed that was Kamino, and was taken from the training you see at the very beginning.

TK - I agree with you completely. I am all for the modding for more 'realistic' CTs.

In regards to the other Clones commenting on what you and your team are; I suppose it wouldnt be out of the question seeing as; by the time Episode II I rolls on, we can see all sorts of custom armour work which signifies personality, however limited.

Do you refer to witnessing other Commandos in battle? Yeah, it could be expanded on to include a mission of perhaps aiding another elite unit. Either a lone (possibly injured) ARC (* drools! *), or another Commando pod. It would be impressive to see two teams working simultaneously to take out an overwhelming objective. Now that would be conflict!

Im sorry Shinok, but yes, I failed to convey that what I class as 'open conflict' mainly concerned Geonosis. It just didnt feel widescale enough.

Ofcourse! The mystery planet is Kamino! That's a perfectly obvious explanation. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Deth Metal

My only qualms with the SP were the times where you were alone. After learning to use the squad and get used to it, not having "the guys" around really didn't jive well for me.

Yeah, and the SBD battles were impossible on those alone missions. :mad:

The DC-17 should've had more stopping power in both regular and sniper. You should also be able to pick up Battle Droid blasters. Then, you could justify not having health and ammo all over the place. In the movies, the DC-15s seemed to be making real short work of the standard droids, you'd figure the '17 being a better weapon would do better.

I actually fear the SBDs more than the Destroyers, and the Destroyers were able to make the Jedi run.

The Campaign was also too short. Its supposed to be a galaxy wide war. I know they don't want to step on stories unfolding in other media, but there's got to be something that only a pod of Commandos can do.

I also felt a bit cheated when it jumped a year from one mission to the next. What happened during that time? I know they want to get us to RoTS but come on, tell the story!

It would've been nice to be able to get CTs to assist a bit like NPCs in Half Life, but its not absolutely necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
This might be a n00b question, but I need to know - How did they explain the clones having completely different voices?

I believe Voices aren't genetic, so clones would still develop their own voices. Can someone verify that?

What bothers me the most is how people tell me of certain things in the game that i've never been able to find. But that's not the game, it's me.

Another problem of course, was how short it was. We need more missions, We've got a few years of Clone Wars that could be made into missions, and we also went back to Kashyyyk at the end, so I don't see why it had to end there.

Well Boba ends up sounding like Jango YEARS AND YEARS later, and the Clones in AotC sound like Jango. But it could be due to what they specelize in, what enviroment they wee hatched in, etc.. And there can always be defective parts of the cloneing process: That being voice.

Originally posted by LukeKatarn

Well Boba ends up sounding like Jango YEARS AND YEARS later

This is because, after Jango's death, Boba listened to many recordings that Jango made, and was inspired to take the place of his gene-father. This means he would adopt Jango's kick-ass accent. :)

Originally posted by LukeKatarn

and the Clones in AotC sound like Jango. But it could be due to what they specelize in, what enviroment they wee hatched in, etc.. And there can always be defective parts of the cloneing process: That being voice.

The training of the clones was all supervised by Jango, so I'd assume that the clones got exposed to his accent quite a bit. I guess they just thought "well I guess this is the guy we're supposed to be like" and, like Boba, adopted his accent.

But the commandos could very well have wanted to individualize themselves, hence their own personal design on their armor, and all but Boss would adopt their own accent. The Clone Troopers in the game don't sound like Jango because the devs probably wouldn't want the wimpy guys sounding like Boss.

Originally posted by TK-8252

When I start modding RC, one of the things I plan to do are put some usefulness back into the Clone Troopers. Modify their lines so they don't sound whiny or cowardly, take their embarassing screams out, and make them not so weak.

Like you'll ever realese it.

I have to agree with everyone. The clones are just too damn whiny and weak. The Movies made them look like 1 Clone to every 5 SBD. But the game is just going too far when SBD's blow the hell outta us with a few shots.

Archived