Home

Avoid?

idle

Which book or comic from the EU first comes into your head when I ask what I should avoid?

I'm fairly new to the EU, I know that my favourite characters are Aayla Secura & Quinlan Vos and that I just have to get my hands on the Thrawn/X-Wing books but I'm scared of picking up utter guff and don't really trust Amazon reviews.

i would have to agree that the new jedi order is a series to avoid, even though i love it and own the entire series. the series definitly takes the star wars universe and decides to make it something entirely new. so the njo series is more for a reader who has read a good amount of EU books and want to see the Star Wars universe in a different way, not someone who is new to EU.

the thrawn series is great, has that original trilogy feel. a great single novel is shadows of the empire. also i will always love my first trilogy of star wars books i read, the Jedi Academy trilogy.

I would stay away from anything Children of the Jedi or later untill you are less new to the EU. If you like Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos, then comics are probably the way to go more then books. If you read and enjoy X-Wing and Thrawn Trilogy, that means you have good tastes, so I would recommend I, Jedi and Hand of Thrawn (dont read HoT untill you've read a bit of other stuff, it connects to just about every book written before it). If you want a good prequel book, then I suggest Shatterpoint. I haven't read to many prequel books yet, but so far this one is head and shoulders above the rest (Matthew Stover is a great author). Uhhh... thats all I got for now.

*stabs sithy* :p

well, I wouldnt suggest the NJO if you are *new* to the EU. By all means, check out the rest of the EU, and see how a saddeningly high amount of it are re-hashes of movie style characters and plots. There were also a high amount of superweapons in the early days of EU !

Let me put it this way

Astro's guide to reading EU

Nb. I have *not* read any of the clone wars era novels so cant comment on those :(

Best Place to Start :

Thrawn Trilogy

Followed by

X-Wing series

Jedi Academy Trilogy

I Jedi

Hand of Thrawn Duology

Survivors Quest

Other Notables :

*Han Solo Trilogy

*"Tales from" series -

-Mos Eisley

-Jabba's Palace

-The Empire

-The New Republic

Shadows of the Empire

Excellent Comics:

Tales of the Jedi

Dark Lords of the Sith

The Beast Wars of Onderon

The Freedon Nadd Uprising

Crimson Empire I and II

Entire X Wing series = awesome

Thrawn Trilogy(comic adaptation)

Dark Empire I and II

Empire's End

*then, when you've read all that*

then try the NJO !

mtfbwya

well i agree that NJO isnt a great stwar wars feel for EU :)

.... childeren of the jedi wasnt a god book. agreed on that. but Darksaber i really liked. because if you read the jedi academy books, it really explains how what happened to some people that isnt explained in any other books.

my personal Favorites:

X-wing book nr. 5 till 7.

Thrawn trilogy

Corellian Trilogy

but i you want to start after return of the jedi: peace at Bakura. i think thats the title. or something like that. that book is right after ROTJ.

my 2 cents

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Skinkie; you beat me to it.

My personal "avoid" list:

The Crystal Star

Children of the Jedi

Planet of Twilight

Jedi Trial: A Clone Wars Novel<--worst SW novel ever. Worse that Crystal Star, even. Okay, well, maybe not that bad. At least the action was good. Still to be avoided.

Iffy are the Bounty Hunter trilogy - not bad, but not great and not particularly significant, either - and the older Han and Lando trilogies. Everything else is free game.

As far as the NJO goes, people shouldn't knock it if they haven't read the whole thing. Don't start there. In fact, until you've read the rest of Astro's list (which is, in general, pretty good), don't even think about it. And read any Clone Wars novels first so you won't be disappointed by how poorly they represent a galactic-scale war in comparison to the NJO.

Archived