Home

"KotOR2:TSL has encountered an error and needs to close."

Toa Tahu

Bah.I know that a 256Mb RAM rig is not a good one to play KotOR2 with,but I am stuck with no upgrade options at the near future.So this is the deal.

Two of my friends have computers with 256Mb of RAM and have installed TSL.But whenever they fire up TSL,they generally cannot run the game.One has gotten as far as character selection,and another has got the error message almost immediately.What's wrong with their computers?

As for myself,I get the same message,but mine comes only when I'm playing.I was infiltrating the Serroco territory when the darned message appeared.I was like,what the heck,I've hosted bigger battles than this before,like the escape from Onderon(during the first visit.).Finally,I chose not to infiltrate the base and attack the Jungle Tomb instead.Started the battle with the boma beasts,and the same errors came.What I can't understand is,I've ran the game perfectly before,why do these errors come now,and why do they *always* come during a battle,and sometimes even before battles are done.Please help!!

Thanks.

*edit*:Whoops,I didn't know this didn't belong to the Padawan Lounge.To the mod who moved this/user who spotted this,thanks a lot.

well, i think you've already answered your question: you just don't have enough RAM. 256MB is the absolute minimum the game attempt to run on. you have to remember: every character on the map has to have a physical spot on your memory. whenever they're just standing around, you're RAM is just simply holding them. in combat, however, your RAM is constantly being updated, and some of the old data may not be removed quickly enough from the memory (dependant on your processor speed), and since the game won't run in virtual memory (using hard disk space as RAM), the game simply crashes once it no longer has anymore RAM to work with.

now, i'm not sure what kind of video card you have, but if you run the game in medium textures, you might encounter this problem much less.

hope all that technical babble can help you out a bit. :)

Lol that ain't technical babble to me...yet.

Well,what you said may be relevant but I cannot figure out where the bottle neck is.I have RDRAM which is supposed to be quite fast,and I have a 1.7Ghz P4 computer.Finally,I think I'm running on medium textures I think.I have a GeForce FX 5500,256Mb.With all these I simply can't figure out why this should happen.

Moreover,the game wouldn't even start on my friend's laptop who has better components than mine.Anybody?

Thanks.

my guess is that the bottleneck is on the processor, although 1.7 Ghz should be enough to run the game quite well. i'm just about as clueless as you are on that issue. and if there's one thing i hate about RDRAM, its the price, well, and that almost nobody produces it anymore.

as for laptops, the only people that i know of that have gotten the game to work for them is people with Radeon Go! chipsets using the Omega third-party drivers. they may still have a chance with the GeForce mobility chips since the nVidia Omega drivers also have the same ability to work for laptops. otherwise, kotor2 is not supported on laptops, thus it is quite difficult to get it running on a laptop.

hope that helps. :)

Archived