Home

There and back again - a land of the dead adventure game

MJ

Okay guys, been working on this today, lets see how it goes. A text based adventure game to play in the forums based in the Land of the Dead.

There and Back Again - A Skeleton's Tale

Copyright © 2005, Nightlight Productions, All rights reserved.

Dark Alley Entrance

To the north lies a dark alley. To the south there is too much traffic to even contemplate crossing the road. The alley is dark, forboding, and stinks of urine.

The alley stinks almost as bad as a movie starring Kevin Bacon. Tatty clotheslines hang from overhead windows, and a dumpster is overflowing with garbage. At your feet is a copy of a newspaper from 2003. A smelly bum appears to have passed out next to the dumpster.

Unfortunately, someone has already done the crossword. While flicking through looking for the comics, you come across a story about a police operative being killed in an alley. The picture shows a man in red, lying in a pool of blood. The man is lying in an alley. The alley looks disturbingly familiar.

The smelly bum mumbles something, takes the newspaper, and stuffs it into his shirt as insulation. He completely neglects to give you anything useful, and all that you are left with is the heartwarming knowledge that you made a derelict drifter somewhat cosier.

Because it caught your eye, you first remove the story dealing with the dead man in the alley.

You proceed into the dark alley. It is dark. The dim lights from the street shed little illumination as you press on through the darkness. The sheer lack of light leaves little save for shadows. The darkness is all-encompassing. Not even a torch could brighten the dim dark.

Yes, it's dark. Very very dark. Woo-boy it's dark.

Yessiree bob, it's dark.

So dark that you can hardly see the toothless street guy standing infront of you with a large knife.

The toothless street guy is clearly a little off his head. Chances are he's been taking a few too many happy pils and is in no state to discuss the finer points of championship tennis with you, let alone give you the time of day.

You know, if you just panicked I might have let you off with that one, but the babbling incoherantly... that's a complete horse of a different colour.

The toothless guy lets you get up close and personal with his knife. And that's not in a nice way.

YOU ARE DEAD

Nice going, numbnuts.

It soon becomes apparent though that the game doesn't end here.

SCARY DARK ALLEY

You are in a scary dark alley. You have just been killed, and a toothless guy has just strolled away wearing your jacket. What is left of your body is lying in a pool of blood.

There is a skeleton in a black gown holding a scythe, standing right in front of you. He is looking at an hourglass.

The reaper looks up briefly from his hourglass.

''Hey.' He said. 'My name's Felipe Pánfilo. Are you ready to go?'

He clicked his fingers and a blue swirly portal opened up. 'Look... you're dead. Step through there and your journey will start. Unless there's anything you wanna know.'

The question stunned Filepe enough to make him look up from his hourglass. 'The meaning of life? I'm an entry level reaper, what makes you think I know something like that? Do I look like I have that kind of knowledge? I'll tell you what... you go through this here portal, get all the way to the afterlife, and ask the Creator yourself. Then come back and told me what she said, okay?!'

the blue swirley portal thing feels like you've been pulled apart at the atomic level and reassembled somewhere else.

PRIMARY LANDING BAY

The portal dumps you in a large room full of skeletons running in every direction. The majority of them are dressed as reapers, although some, clearly newcomers like yourself, seem a little disorientated.

Filepe steps through the portal behind you, which closes with a snap.

Near the door stands a skeleton in a yellow suit, surveying the busy activity.

On the table in front of you is a bunch of files. One of them has your name on it.

• 2 weeks later...

The skeleton in the yellow suit is all the way across the other side of the room. And at any rate, he's just some guy in a yellow suit. He could be anyone. Not all that interesting, really.

The file right in front of you with your name on it... that's another story. Hint hint. :D

Archived