Home

jedi knight 4?

lilJedi

TK, I don't think anyone here, or at lucasarts care more about what this game is called than you... don't start this debate again, lol. You know what he means. :D

I don't know, the JK games are still active. If anything LA is working more on its big ticket items right now: Empire at War and its latest seriers: KOTOR. They will expand upon KOTOR just like the JK series. KOTOR may have even replaced the JK series in Lucasarts' eyes. I hope not, but as of yet there is no word, nor even a rumor of a new JK game.

Right now Lucasarts is pooling its efforts working on the KOTOR series and the Episode III game instead of a JK game. This isn't the first time the series has had a long hiatus: it took them five years to make a true sequel to Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Even if you count the Mysteries of the Sith add-on, it was still four long years before JO was made.

Even if they did make a new JK game, I don't know where they would go with it. They've pretty much exhausted the post-Endor storyline with Kyle Katarn. Go too much farther ahead and you run smack into the New Jedi Order and the Yuzzhan Vong. I'm sure they'll never make a NJO themed game for two major reasons:

1. Many people haven't read the books and don't have the foggiest idea what the heck the NJO is.

2. There are Star Wars fans (myself included) who don't like the NJO series and consequently would not buy any sort of merchandise connected to it.

Personally, I think the series has to go in a new direction. Perhaps they could create a JK game set in the prequel timeline or the Great Sith War/KOTOR time period. Maybe the series could return to its shooter roots in a game that's a cross between Dark Forces and Republic Commando. For now though, we're just going to have to wait.

These threads seem to pop up every other week!

It's not that they aren't going to make another game. They do sell well. It's just that no one knows if another sequel is coming up.

I don't know what they could with the jedi theme anymore.

I actually would like to see them do a prequel to JK:DF2 where you get to play the stories of the 7 dark jedi. That could be awesome, but I doubt that it would ever happen.

I'd rather play an rpg like story ala kotor with FPS/3rd person mechanics... instead of kotor's combat.

Like how deus ex did it. deus ex was an RPG, but played from first person, and it had alot of content/dialogue and a good story, but the action was directly controlled by you.

I wish i could jump in kotor heh...its annoying running everywhere so slowly.

They made kotor 2 but what says they are focusing on the kotor series? is there a 3rd one in the making that you are saying this?

Originally posted by TK-8252

JK4? First they need to make JK3...

I knew you were going to post this as soon as I saw the title.

I agree. They also need to get working on Dark Forces III and Mysteries of the Sith II... ;)

As to a new JK game, that all depends on what LA decides.

Time between games in the series:

DF to DF2:JK = 2 years (lots of delays)

DF2:JK to JK:MotS (expansion pack) = 4 months

DF2:JK/JK:MotS to JK2:JO = 4 years

JK2:JO to JK:JA = 1 1/2 years

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

Or a straight up JK game for multiplayer only. :p

That wouldn't be a bad idea, like a Jedi/Sith version of UT2k4 with loads of options. My opinion is that would be a great scenario, OR a Dark Side focused game, which could be done as a "what if" scenario, for say the original JK if Kyle turned to the Dark Side, or even JA, if Jaden had turned to the Dark Side.

It could thus overlap events with those previous games and expand into new territory with a focus not seen in the series thus far.

The new game thus need not take place in the NJO era or the KOTOR era necessarily.

Personally, I think the series has to go in a new direction. Perhaps they could create a JK game set in the prequel timeline or the Great Sith War/KOTOR time period. Maybe the series could return to its shooter roots in a game that's a cross between Dark Forces and Republic Commando. For now though, we're just going to have to wait.

I don't really see the advtange of putting the JK series during the same time line as KOTOR. Sounds like taking the easy way out. Besides KOTOR 1 & 2 already told the same story we'd get in a JK-themed shooter.

Now a more Dark Forces style game... that's interesting. I desperately want whatever we get to have good weapon balance, unlike JA.

They also need to get working on Dark Forces III and Mysteries of the Sith II...

I thought Jedi Outcast was Dark Forces III. ;)

I agree about a Mysteries of the Sith II, though. That'd be a great way to continue the series without running into serious timeline issues like the NJO while still making the game adaptable and different from what we've had in the past. Besides, Mara Jade is kind of like the female equivalent of Kyle. :D

There probably won't be another Jedi Knight game for quite sometime i supposed. I think the reason why JA came out so quickly after JK2 was because Raven only modified the old JK2 engine (Which is a heavily modified Quake 3 Engine) by adding some new graphical improvements.

The next JK game would most likely use a different game engine, so they may have to spend sometime on making the new engine. This could take up to 5 years.

I've always considered JA an expansion pack, so I'm thinking of the next JK game as JK3. Anyway, I agree with what Kurgan said. My idea would be to have a continuation of the dark side storyline from JK, and give you a choice to make at the beginning of the game that determines which plot unfolds (dark or light). For instance, it could be some sort of mercenary mission where you (playing as kyle katarn) have a choice to kill someone or bring them back alive, and the level is played in first person view even though you have a lightsaber. At the end of the level depending on what choice you made, it will show a cutscene of your character leaving the place wearing black robes or brown robes (black=dark, brown=light). And it would also be cool if they could implement a KotOR like system sort of how lilJedi said. Also I'd like to see a return to classic JK gameplay things like force jump that's not floaty etc. Making a system like UT2004's dodging system (double click) could prove cool too. Also I hope it uses the UE3 engine (please please) which means it wouldn't be coming out for a couple of years. Anyway, that's my list of what I would like JK3 to be. If JK3 sucessfully pulled off all of those things, it would easily be a 10 in my book, and I'm sure it would get outstanding reviews.

I'd very much like an expansion for J.Knight series. But, honestly, what can they possibly add? There already are various LS and DS powers in JA. Animations, etc.

I suppose one thing they should improve are the animations. Compare the wall-run in Warrior Within to that of Jedi Academy. Warrior within's animations are MUCH more convincing than a Jedi's.

(If i had a PS2, I'd go for the Episode 3 game)

i think thay can better make the ultimate JK game

Travel to all kind of planets fight like a JK2 jedi shoot like a Republic Commando

balance it all in a good way *looking at some mods*

and add ships and erm EVRYTHING!!! and make it Star Wars the GAME!!! or something catchy :D

I agree with Nokill. I would love to see a game that has spaceflight (either sophisticated like X-wing vs. TIE, or simple like Descent), have some FPS like the JK games (also Republic commando), and perhaps even have some RTS like Starcraft & SW Galactic Battleground. It would of course require a DVD rom for installation.

Also there are profitability risks, in that nobody would probably want to buy it. I'd pay for it though.

I don't think it's a good idea to include space fighters like the X-Wing and TIE Fighter in a Jedi Knight game but there should be some vehicles, like in JA.

Now, I've been giving the possibilities of a new Jedi Knight game (either as JK3/4 or JA2) some thought and I think I've figured out, personally, where it might fit in while still allowing us to play as Kyle. :D

WARNING: The rest of this post contains a few JA spoilers. For anyone who hasn't finished the game on both settings, read at your own risk!

Okay, the game could take place a year after the conclusion of Jedi Academy's dark side ending. Jaden has stolen the cepter of Ragnos to us for his/her own twisted desires and Kyle, as he told Luke at the end of JA, will track Jaden down since he/she is his responsibility. Basically, the game could deal with Kyle's search for Jaden and attempt to redeem his former student before it's too late. And how would the game deal with the whole Jaden customization feature, I'm sure you're all asking? Simple. The same method used in KOTORII, where they ask you about your character from the first game could be applied here. As Kyle looks for clues as to where Jaden's hiding out, he has to answer questions about Jaden's appearance, gender, species, etc., thus allowing the player to ultimately determine what Jaden looks like.

That's why I say do a Dark Forces Prequel. Morgan and Rahn discover the Valley of the Jedi circa the establishment of the New Order of the Empire. It could even take place during the great Jedi Purge. Player could be Rahn. Whoa man....so many awesome possibilities.

Hey Lucasarts! Feel free to use my idea. I'll even be happy to pay full price for a copy. Just make it!!!

I think there should be an expansion packfor Jedi Academy. There should be more adventures of Jaden Korr. I liked the mission choosing and planet hopping in JKJA, but now they should introduce something serious in the game, based on the ending of the original game, so the expansion can be played both ways, depending on the path you chose in the original.:lsduel:

Originally posted by jedispy

That's why I say do a Dark Forces Prequel. Morgan and Rahn discover the Valley of the Jedi circa the establishment of the New Order of the Empire. It could even take place during the great Jedi Purge. Player could be Rahn. Whoa man....so many awesome possibilities.

Hey Lucasarts! Feel free to use my idea. I'll even be happy to pay full price for a copy. Just make it!!!

Yeah, I was thinking about a prequel to Jedi Knight that allows the player to jump into the stories of the 7 dark jedi: Jerec, Boc, Sariss, Yun, etc. It would rock too.

OR they should make a full blown game that expands on Mysteries of the Sith, the great expansion to JK. I liked the fact that the stories were all about the New Republic and stuff not related to past games or the movies. It was different.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Even if they did make a new JK game, I don't know where they would go with it. They've pretty much exhausted the post-Endor storyline with Kyle Katarn.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean,

at the end of JA's Dark Side storyline, there's a potential sequel, as Kyle decides to [temporarily] quit the Academy in order to pursue Jaden, while Jaden now, as a Sith, has some position with the Empire, and God knows what he'll do with that staff.

Of course, Kyle is now maxed out on Force powers, and it would seem a bit redundant/repetitious/cheesy for Kyle to loose/severe his connection with his Force powers again. On the other hand, said potential plotline could make for a good SP campaign...

God bless,

X-Wing Pilot 5

Archived