Home

Please, laugh at EA now

lukeiamyourdad

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ubisoft has a similar thing over here. It's called the Ubisoft Campus.

It's like going to the regular University, but instead of coming out without real experience, they give you the opportunity to work on similar instruments that Ubi uses.

You might even come out with a diploma and a game in your CV.

Originally posted by MTV2

whoever laughs at EA is a discrace to video games.

Whoever demands obscene overtime without compensation is a discrace to companies.

ESPN 2k5 was 30 bucks cheaper? 30$? well if u take an extra 5-10 minutes(depending on where u live) u can go to the EA place and get there games there for $19.99cnd brand spanking new.

The fact remains that upon release ESPN games were often less than half the price of EA games with comparable if not superior quality.

i hate it when people criticise companies when they dont even know how it works, or how much effort they put in to try and making great games.:mad:

But that is the whole problem. EA management asks for such extreme effort from its developers that they for the most part have to sacrifice their lives outside of work. And they have also not been compensated for time invested outside of what their contracts and laws dictate.

That is why EA is a poor company. They require such a drastic work scedule to meet their deadlines. A good company develops a schedule and supplies the resources required so that the goals are reasonable. EA's schedule are just poor management.

But it sounds like you are the kind of employee EA is looking for. I assume from what you have said that you are still young and/or in school. Likely you are not married and don't have children. Thus you are more willing to work the 70+ hours a week. Once you have a family you will be much less willing to spend all your time away from them, and so a less attractive employee to EA.

EA is not the only comapny that does this, but it does make them, as far as many employees are concerned, a bad company.

they use the real things(nascar,nhl,nba,etc.) for there games, i dont see microsoft doing that, or rockstar or any other company.

You make it sound like EA is the only company that uses motion capture for games, which is flat out wrong.

And even if that was the case, ESPN NBA games, for example, are often considered to be better visually...

Oh. and BTW, i know the game industry well, very well on EA.

From what you have stated, it doesn't sound like you really do.

Yes, if the bag is left 70% full, they get fired.

50% - 50 Lashes

30% - Pay Deduction

20% - No free bathroom breaks for the rest of the day.

"If left full, the 'criminal' shall be exectuted by a P-08 Luger in the back parking lot, his corpse shall be burned, ashes dumped into the Dennys dumpster across the street, and his records erased."

Moto:

"If you **** up, your existance will be denied."

TiE

If any gaming company has been the victim of my ire for the past few years, it has been EA. Ever since pushing their hand into games such as Earth and Beyond, buying up dev houses with positive outlooks only to reduce them to rubble, and have a very sad QoL record, I have no love for the company that once had the cajones to call themselves one of the best companies to work for.

One of the articles Prime referenced (it was the livejournal one by ea_spouse... EA: The Human Story) was the actual whistleblower that started this whole controversy. It got into clueless business practices not just used by EA, but by many others in the gaming industry. The reason why EA is plastered all over the wall for being the billboard of treating employees like **** is relatively simple:

They output ****ty games just to make their quartly business quota to appease investors.

Also, if you look at the news, more often than nought you see EA pull a move that continues to attempt to create a sole monopoly. For example, their recent acquisition of the NFL license. Lets face it, EA is known for one thing on a major front: sports games. If you can appeal to the jocks, you have great market potential right there. Sega/Take Two was a valid threat to EA, and when Sega and Take Two finally capitalized, EA pulled a heavy-handed manuever instead of attempting to prove that it's game was better overall.

Instead of proving that it is a successful innovator and competitor, EA has taken the easy way out time and time again. This time, Karma's back to make EA her bitch.

(And no, I don't count WoW as a valid scapegoat. -3 for EA)

Oh. and BTW, i know the game industry well, very well on EA.

Others have already said it, I'll reiterate it again:

You wish you did.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

Yes Astro. Just like your discussion about ABC-Canon in the Star Wars forum ;)

werdage. hey, I wasnt excluding myself from the geekiness :p Plus the canon thread is a basically a quote from a Lucasfilm representatitive, so watch yaself punk !

mtfbwya

they use the real things(nascar,nhl,nba,etc.) for there games, i dont see microsoft doing that, or rockstar or any other company.

That's because EA has the licsencing rights to all of them for the next 18 billion years. And coincidentally, I'm sure that's one reason for their dip in profits ;)

Originally posted by BongoBob

That's because EA has the licsencing rights to all of them for the next 18 billion years. And coincidentally, I'm sure that's one reason for their dip in profits ;)

Ohhh... I like what I hear :D

TiE

What's the next thing EA will problably blame too? Empire at War. :D

Apparently, much ex-Westwood staff are leaving EA for other companies and some to Petroglpyh with their fellow comrades. I look forward to seeing what the competition has to offer from them. :)

Dude it's hilarious how all of you argue over this. I just had an arguement with some of my freinds in school that was similar except we were argueing about game consoles.

When did EA abusing its employees go public? I have never heard about it.

Originally posted by VikingLarz

Dude it's hilarious how all of you argue over this. I just had an arguement with some of my freinds in school that was similar except we were argueing about game consoles.

When did EA abusing its employees go public? I have never heard about it.

I think it's hilarious how you didn't even read the entire thread in the first place. I mean after all, we did answer your questions already.

Its a long thread, Rad :)

But I think it went public around November/December 2004. Someone got a job, and was asked if they didn't mind working late. They figured it was just average overtime (you know, an few hours extra here and there)

It wasn't.

The kept adding hours to meet deadlines that they were way ahead of. They started adding days without benifits. Eventually, the whole team was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. If they were "good" they got out on Saturday at 6:30. (Good? These are not children...) It totals 84 hours I think, per week.

Some people made a shirt saying: "I worked 90 hours a week for EA, and didn't even get this shirt."

It sucked that bad.

Guys, I wouldn't bash the games. Im sure these programmers/artists are some of the most talented in the gaming-world. When you are litterally pushed so hard that you can't even drive home from work... I wouldn't expect top-notch performance. Twelve hours is a lot... and 7 days a week, being underpaid? You can't expect 10/10 games from them, its unreal.

• 1 month later...
Higher licenses costs, lower demand during the anticipation of the next-generation and increased competition have been blamed by EA as the main causes for the disappointing results.

AHAHAHAHAHA

I wonder who they'll assimilate next?

"We are EA. Empty your pockets and surrender yourselves. Resistance is futile."

Certain people here have things in similar with the neo-conservative fanatics.

"Stop bashing EA!!!1111" in this thread sounds exactly like the obligatory

"OMG stop bashing bush!!1111" in every single thread bashing Bush:D.

At least do what MTV2 does: Give us a reason why we shouldn't like them.

As for me, I don't even know if I should buy BF 2 or just download it and donate some anonymous cash money to DICE Sweden. DICE earns money, EA doesn't. Sounds good to me.

What about ET's insult on EA? Hows that different from my insult? same thing isn't? same insult.

Maybe it's because last time I checked, ET wasn't forcing people to work 12 hours a day, 7 hours a week, nor was he trying to get his claws on all the money in the gaming industry without any remorse for the people hit by him.

Just a hunch...;)

They have the world's worst logo, too.

Originally posted by Prime

The sad thing is that it isn't the executives that will suffer from that, but the developers...

Sadly, that's the way it always goes. The execs get the big payoffs, while the employees who gave body and soul get the layoffs.

I wouldn't be sorry to see 'EA' as a monopolistic tyrant bite the dust, but I certainly feel for all those who would be put out of work. I have no doubt at all that they'll simply lay off lots of people who were 'assimilated' in the past. Axing staff is the quickest way to cut losses, particularly if you can point the finger at them and say they 'under-performed' regardless of the working conditions.

I guess I wish publishers would just go back to publishing, rather than buying up every developer with an idea that originally sells well before they get their grubby mitts on the franchise.

IN that respect, although I hated the jumping through hoops involved, Valve's Steam might be the right direction for the entire industry, so devs can distribute direct and cut out the money-grabbing middleman. The only problem with that model is the funding requirements for game projects - the money has to come from somewhere.

Archived