urluckyday

What is the best MMOG?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best MMOG?

• Star Wars: Galaxies
    • World of Warcraft
    • Everquest
    • What the heck is an MMOG?

I love Star Wars and everything about it. I was recently feeling an emptiness in my video gaming. Online gaming. I wasn't talkin bout gamespy or anything like that. I was talking about MMOG's. I had to consider which game would suit me best. I narrowed it down to 2 contenders. Star Wars Galaxies, and The World of Warcraft. So, I checked nearly every review site and looked at several trailers, etc. Unfortunately, I had to choose World of Warcraft because I could only choose 1 game. I know that I love Star Wars, but I also love my gaming.

When I read the review, many were criticizing how the game just didn't do anything extremely new. When I saw WoW reviews, they looked amazing. So the whole problem with me getting galaxies, was that the content in the game didn't seem to differ from any other MMOG. From what I saw from WoW, it seemed to really raise the bar. So, I'm sorry Galaxies, but if you can't show me anything totally new, I have to go with WoW.

i must disagree with you on that. most MMORPG's have level up stuff. and galaxy has a wide area of species, professions and a way to change professions. if you want to change something ingame you dont have to restart your entire character.

and leveling up gets boring much more faster. then having 3 professions at once.

i dont see any other game ike SWG out there. and people tend to got more bored with WOW then SWG. i mean WOW is out a couple of months now and people are quitting already :)

so...

Wraith 8

and its not really a development question. yoinking this to generela discussion :)

*YOINK!*

World of Warcraft is fun, but the game is unstable and the technical support is 100x worse then it was for SWG, their solution for everything at blizzard is reinstall, which i did 10 times, still didn't fix my porblem, so i cancelled my subscription. I'm picking up The Matrix Online soon.

Originally posted by lil_dude

World of Warcraft is fun, but the game is unstable and the technical support is 100x worse then it was for SWG, their solution for everything at blizzard is reinstall, which i did 10 times, still didn't fix my porblem, so i cancelled my subscription. I'm picking up The Matrix Online soon.

Don't even think about Matrix Online, played it, it ABSOLUTELY sucked, the lack of content is worse than SWG. All you do is, fight MOBs on the streets, fight MOBs on the roofs, OVER and OVER again.

Development is ongoing, of course...

...that statement applies to all MMOs, of course.

I didn't get EQ until they were selling it and the first few expansions in a single nifty box. I haven't even installed it on my new machine yet, despite the fact that it's still good fun. I only have so much time.

(Ironically, I haven't been playing SWG much lately either because I just caved in and got KotOR2.)

With SWG I get to see it from initial release, enjoy complaining about the crap, and appreciate the improvements all the more when they come.

I think both cases are an example of why people are willing to pay monthly fees for MMOs in the first place. They're like living, growing things that you can have a hand in shaping.

Originally posted by McCusto

Don't even think about Matrix Online, played it, it ABSOLUTELY sucked, the lack of content is worse than SWG. All you do is, fight MOBs on the streets, fight MOBs on the roofs, OVER and OVER again.

ya that's because they didn't release the content untill Tuesday, when it came out...

Guest DarthMaulUK

Galaxies hasnt changed much in 2 years. Hence the desperation to release Episode 3 content.

Any online game is a waste of money in my view. Galaxies though is alot worse then World Of Warcraft. Yes, graphically, Galaxies is better but for tech support, issues and stopping exploiters, they really crack down.

The last few events in Galaxies - lets take Wookiee Life Day was withdrawn because of the bugs in it and they couldnt be bothered to fix it. The fact Galaxies has no combat is unforgivable - its a Star WARS game!!

If you like sitting around chatting, grinding, working, hunting - fine - get the Sims!

DMUK

Well with the release of JTL, it seems SWG is alot bigger, and has a whole new aspect. The SHIPS! I want Galaxies, but I might get WoW instead. Only thing is, my parents won't let me get a MMORPG because with my allowance rate if I do all my work all month all I'll get is 5 dollars each month. :(

Originally posted by legowar

Do you think the new expansion will really have all new content that will really sell the game? I mean, adding new areas is cool, but unless they add something totally revolutionary, it will just sound like an Everquest expansion.

Well, its adding more weapons, ships, a whole planet, new armor. Quite alot of things.

And the Combat Upgrade isnt the expansion, the CU is aswell as the expansion (but the CU is free obviousely) and the CU is going to revolutionise weaponry and armor so that it feels more like Star Wars, so your not gonna get some wierd blaster or weapon that doesnt fit in with the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Truth is, world of warcraft is much better knowing how many people got the game and still love it (and someone before sed they're quitting, thats a lie), im thinking its that ppl who play swg are more for futuristic and ppl for wow are for old middle age stuff, so they probably have diferent interests in games

what do you mean that people are quittig is a lie? i know like 20 people who went to WOW and all of em quit already because after they hit level 60 its BOOORING! at least that is what they said. so it is not a lie. i talk to these people frequently :)

Guest DarthMaulUK

Being one of the first Online games, Galaxies started ever so well. But with consent problems, major bugs, poor Tech support, no live events, no story to actually follow and of course the removal of combat did major damage to the game.

With WoW taking off plus other online games popping up, Sony and Lucasarts are having to fight for market share. Galaxies has the potential to become one of the best games out there simply because of the Star Wars universe.

However, continual problems and no actual direction from the Dev Team have made an impact.

One of my friends has just been offered a 6 month free account to play and it made me wonder how many out there are actually paying to play? The Dev team have talked and talked and talked about Combat and despite the new GCW being a welcome change, its taken too long and players want to engage in the Star Wars battles. Playing Vette missions which are directly aimed at power gamers, means that the casual gamer can get left behind, especially as the grind to achieving anything is a long one.

JTLS is total rubbish. Yes, it expanded the game but never have I been so bored in 'Space Combat' where you just rotate in a circle shooting at a ship! Theres no sense of actual Dogfighting.

Rage Of The Wookiees is another attempt to cash in and also attract a few more players who want to see Episode III stuff before the movies - but if you look at Galaxies time line, this stuff is out of place.

With an ever decreasing share of the online market, Galaxies needs a dramatic change - actual live events - GamesMasters to make the impact and bring players back.

DMUK

I just went into Test Center to check out the Combat Upgrade. It definetely impressed me. My only complaint is that you don't get a box showing what actions you've got lined up, and there isn't a box that shows you who is attacking-so it's more difficult if you're trying to run away from it. I don't see why people are bitching about the icons, IMO they are better than the old ones, just takes time to memorize what they are. I can't wait until May 5.

• 5 weeks later...

I voted for SWG. WoW did not impress me at all in the 2 or so months I played it. Everquest 2? No thanks, never really interested me. Can do without either of those games quite well.

Funny about WoW. So many players in SWG were vocally(and in many cases nastily)proclaiming how they were leaving SWG for WoW. Then all of a sudden, many of them were back at SWG. LOL!:D

Originally posted by SirLancelot

I voted for SWG. WoW did not impress me at all in the 2 or so months I played it. Everquest 2? No thanks, never really interested me. Can do without either of those games quite well.

Funny about WoW. So many players in SWG were vocally(and in many cases nastily)proclaiming how they were leaving SWG for WoW. Then all of a sudden, many of them were back at SWG. LOL!:D

LOL!

Archived