Home

slightly off - any JK players with opinions on SWG?

lilJedi

ok I know this one is off topic but where else to get JEDI KNIGHT player opinions on another game.

who has played star wars galaxy from since its inception and still plays it? Who has picked it up recently with all the new stuff like jump to lightspeed and the fact that you can choose to be either republic or empire now....

is the combat like kotor? im interested in playing it but only if its worth the payment a month..

You might be better off trying the SWG forums, but good luck!

I've never played a MMORPG and don't plan to, because I see it as a big waste of time and money, but that's me.

As far as I've heard the combat in SWG is realtime, like EverQuest (on which the engine was based). KOTOR/2 uses turn based combat, so it's very different, again, from what I've read and heard.

Jedi in SWG are "rare" and limited in various ways compared to how they are in the JK series, and the saber combat looks nothing to me (from watching videos) like the JK series really. Is it any fun? That's something I can't answer, not having actually experienced it.

i played it for 3 months, and all i can tell you is that it sux.

Reasons:

-Everybody wears the same armor, the composite armor; except wookies, they wear they own armor but its only one, kaysyyyk ceremonial armor or something like that.

-The creatures are all almost the same, you can see a ronto in tatooine and then you go to dantomir and you find a creature called 'i dont remember the name' that is exactly a ronto but green and with horns (this happens with ALL the creatures, ALL).

-It is REALLY easy, is that easy that you get bored in 1 month without knowing what to do.

-The zones sistem sux, just a big box without much dungeons.

-Jedis.

-The weapons and the armor gets broken pretty quick so you just have to waste your time going to buy a new one (vehicles too), etc.

My suggestion:

Play EverQuest 2 or 1. If not play WoW.

Jedi in SWG are "rare" and limited in various ways compared to how they are in the JK series, and the saber combat looks nothing to me (from watching videos) like the JK series really. Is it any fun? That's something I can't answer, not having actually experienced it.

Jedi were anything BUT rare when I was playing (right when the protest over Combat Balance kicked into full swing). You couldn't attack an opposing faction's town without finding a group of 3-5 jedi in opposition.

Jump to Lightspeed was a good expansion, but what it failed to address in any sense was the ground game. I'd have more fun commiting seppuku rather than deal with the ground game. It's like they threw out an expansion and said, "Hey, fly in space! Pay no attention to the planets anymore!"

I'd steer clear of SWG. There's already some better developed MMOs out there.

(Oh, and not to stir the pot, but the last time I got to talk to an insider, Lucas was pissed)

Well, I can't really tell you if the game's good or not, as I've never played it. Judging by the things I've heard and read, however, you might consider getting KOTOR/KOTOR II if you don't have them already for your Star Wars RPG needs.

The one thing that's always bugged me about MMO games is the monthly fee. I know it has to be done probably to keep the servers up and running smoothly, but I think it's darned inconvenient. As of now, I really don't have the financial means to pay a flat monthly fee for a game that I might not even play for months on end. I think they should go with a "pay as you play" policy instead, with gamers who play longer hours having to pay more than those who play shorter times. It doesn't have to be expensive; I'm thinking maybe 10 cents for every half hour or something.

I don't know if this is true anymore, but I heard that Galaxies had major problems with bugs and glitches when it was first released. I'm talking major bugs here, like store owners suddenly losing the store they worked so hard to build. It would just suddenly disappear, lost in cyber-limbo.

I must also point out that the folks at Sony have taken some rather extreme measures sometimes to curb unrest in the Star Wars cyber-galaxy. There was once an incident where some people found out an exploit where they could essentially get free game currency without having to work to get it. They went on shopping sprees to get the best items with their newfound wealth. The gamers who owned the shops had no idea that the money they recieved wasn't legit.

Instead of merely banning those few who took advantage of the exploit, Sony decided to ban everyone who came into contact with the money, including the hapless store owners, without any warning or explanation. When people organized on Naboo to protest the action, Sony responded by (I am not kidding you) teleporting them into space. I've also heard unsettling stories of squads of stormtroopers ruthlessly crushing a group of protesting Wookiee gamers once.

Again, I would opt to get KOTOR instead (or its sequel). It doesn't have online play, but it has no monthly fee, is bug free, and isn't run by despotic server owners. It's also more fun than a barrel full of Wookiees! :D

Well, SWG takes place during the time when the Empire is firmly in control of the SW Galaxy. It looks like a psychology experiment....

The server owners are merely role playing the Empire a little TOO WELL!

Oh the irony... somebody should make a movie documentary about all these political dramas. We've seen lots of movies about jokes and music videos in SWG, but never anything about the political history like these protests and rebellions and scandals. Heh

Originally posted by LightNinja

i played it for 3 months, and all i can tell you is that it sux.

Reasons:

-Everybody wears the same armor, the composite armor; except wookies, they wear they own armor but its only one, kaysyyyk ceremonial armor or something like that.

-The creatures are all almost the same, you can see a ronto in tatooine and then you go to dantomir and you find a creature called 'i dont remember the name' that is exactly a ronto but green and with horns (this happens with ALL the creatures, ALL).

-It is REALLY easy, is that easy that you get bored in 1 month without knowing what to do.

-The zones sistem sux, just a big box without much dungeons.

-Jedis.

-The weapons and the armor gets broken pretty quick so you just have to waste your time going to buy a new one (vehicles too), etc.

My suggestion:

Play EverQuest 2 or 1. If not play WoW.

All true. SWG got extremely boring. One thing is for sure though, it's is a VERY good game to roleplay in....but it really has little content to offer.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

1- Instead of merely banning those few who took advantage of the exploit, Sony decided to ban everyone who came into contact with the money, including the hapless store owners, without any warning or explanation. When people organized on Naboo to protest the action, Sony responded by (I am not kidding you) teleporting them into space.

2- I've also heard unsettling stories of squads of stormtroopers ruthlessly crushing a group of protesting Wookiee gamers once.

The first thing is true, i was playing ehile it happened, i went to naboo in one server to see the protest and to participate on it (so much lag there btw) bcuz some of my guildmates suffered that ban. So we where there and a "admin" wrote that we had to go out of naboo bcuz the server was going to crash and all that stuff but we didnt do nothing so their solution was teleporting us to a black place (supossely space) and then i left the game tired of it.

The second thing, i dont think its true, just because the npcs are as retard as the game developers.

• 3 weeks later...

Played the game from July '03 to April '04 and it sucks. SOE is a horrible game company and they totally butchered any feeling of Star Wars.

The game is essentially EverQuest in space with Star Wars graphics and sounds. It has basically nothing to do with the SW universe.

The Galactic Civil War is a joke. Nothing happens. It plays out more like a gang war between two trash-talking sides that never accomplish anything meaningful.

There are (as I understand it) tons of Jedi. So much for their fire going out of the universe, to paraphrase Tarkin.

Smugglers still do not smuggle coming up on two years post release.

Combat is only NOW being balanced. That alone should tell you something. They're basically scrapping the old combat system and replacing/reorganizing it. That's a fundamental change that SHOULD have been done in beta, but instead "beta" ended up being the first year and a half of the game or so.

Stay away from it. Save your money. Go play KOTOR/II.

Archived