Home

Whos ever read the comic series "Star Wars: Crimson Empire"?

The Hidden One

The Crimson Empire Comics are absolutely awesome. Right up there with the best of the SW comics, which IMO are the KOTOR era comics and the X-Wing series :)

Excellent main character, Kir Kanos, who also pops up in a single issue special, under his bounty hunter alias, Kenix Kil.

Interestingly enough, CE was also the point of introduction for one of the NJOs key characters, Nom Anor :)

mtfbwya

Crimson Empire was entertaining as far as comics go, and had good artwork. Of course the plot was a little bit cliched, suffice to say without getting into spoiler territory, (yet another force sensitive wannabe Emperor and his nemesis, the honorable "wronged man" etc. the secret order of super soldiers, yet another special type of Stormtrooper, etc).

CE and CE II both kind of made the Imperial Red Guards overpowered (some would say "wanky") IMO, and doesn't really seem supported by G-Level canon (in AOTC they're just ceremonial guards, and are we supposed to assume they are clones like the rest of the Stormtroopers?). Of course these came out before Episode II, so the authors can't really be faulted for that.

So it might not gel too well with what we see in the prequels, but it was still fun.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

I say we vote Kurgan off the island for ruining another thread.

I have long since come to terms with the fact that Kurgan is the "grumpy uncle" of LFN... :p

and I wonder if Kurgan read it over a series of strategically timed visits to the comic store, rather than buy it :p

Prime....I havent read the republic comics.... gotta check em out after I rob a few banks and get some spare $$$ :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

I have long since come to terms with the fact that Kurgan is the "grumpy uncle" of LFN... :p

and I wonder if Kurgan read it over a series of strategically timed visits to the comic store, rather than buy it :p

Prime....I havent read the republic comics.... gotta check em out after I rob a few banks and get some spare $$$ :p

mtfbwya

Perhaps there is rather a group of "grumpy uncles" at LFN, rather than just one. ;)

Ask for an opinion, you better be ready to hear mine!

Anyway, as a Star Wars fan I've learned the hard way that it's just not economical to buy every single item with the name on it. You have to be selective unless you're a wealthy geek (which I'm not). And comics are just so short that there isn't much to them. Do you take hours and hours to read the Sunday funnies? I don't.

Are you saying I'm hypocritical for reading something without purchasing it? If so, you must have something against libraries too! And I'm sure you're not saying that fans who can't afford to buy every bit of Star Wars merchandise should instead resort to piracy. Star Wars comics can be fun, but they're the kind of fluff you read once and toss on the shelf.

Since I'm not going to be making big money selling a huge comics collection at some convention, this works fine for me. Hope I've defended my opinion successfully!

Anyway, good luck!

Originally posted by The Hidden One

Who wins the Carnor Jax/Kir Kanos duel at the end?

(Sorry it was either the EU forum or the Collecting one, sorry for the trouble.)

Hey ! This was a question in the trivia thread :) Kanos if you want a quick answer.... p2 or 3 of the trivia thread for more detail.. :)

Kurgan you are the bane of the hardworking artists who sweat blood and tears making comics :p

yeah, the reasons you have stated are the reasons I havent bought that many recently. But the Republic ones look fine, might track down a few TPBs after Im done with ROTS, and the associated novel trilogy :)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Kurgan you are the bane of the hardworking artists who sweat blood and tears making comics :p

I've earned the right to complain, daggnabbit! Now get off my lawn!

Blasted kids...

I did buy the KOTOR comic, and SOTE.

• 3 weeks later...
(in AOTC they're just ceremonial guards, and are we supposed to assume they are clones like the rest of the Stormtroopers

Actually, they're not clones. The ROTS Visual Dictionary has them made out to be non-clones hand-picked by Palpatine to be his body guard. And no, they're not mere ceremonial guards- they really do have to protect Palpatine. And given the number & nature of the sort of people who want to kill Palpy, it's obviously in his best interests to choose the best and the brightest to stand by his side. It's mentioned in several sources, including the Hand of Thrawn duology (with that Major Tierce guy being the bad-ass that he is),that those dudes underwent special training to make them supremely dedicated combatants, loyal to none other than Palpatine, so they are expected to have a high degree of combat competence.

But yeah, I still agree with you to some extent, kurgan. I think the CE creators went a bit too far with their skill levels. I mean, Kir Kanos is made to be some sort of demi-God. Did you see him in CE #3? He took on what looked like an entire Batallion of stormtroopers! And even deflected blaster bolts with his Echani double-bladed sword! Went a bit overboard with that one.

The CE series is alright. I'm completely in love with the Royal Guard, to be honest. i think they're one of the coolest parts about star wars, and I'm going as one of them to the Episode III premier. But CE was a bit of a letdown. The art was mediocre (though the cover art was really something!) and the storyline was, as Kurgan put it, Cliche.

Still, i liked the referrences to the Royal Guard unit as a whole. Am still looking forward to the CE III which Dark Horse is never actually going to get around to doing. heh.

Originally posted by benTantilles

....i'm going as one of them to the Episode III premier....

hey BenT, nice to see you back! I hope youve noticed we nuked your "hot chicks" thread... such an atrocity will not occur under the astro's tenure at the EU forum :p

hey, make sure you show us a pic of your costume...how are doing the helmet ??

mtfbwya

heya, astro! yep, it's good to be back. and yes, i noticed what you've done to my thread... heh. but to be honest, i'm actually quite happy you've closed it. it sort of veered away from what i intended it to be, and degenerated into a thread where weird people posted the details of their strange, carnal fantasies with robots and ugly jedi. yucks.

yeah, i'll be sure to take some photos. And i'm getting the helmet of ebay. there's a fair number on sale. Just make sure you include things like "star wars" and "helmet" in your search, or your returns may be a bit too broad for you to handle.

I'm actually planning on getting the whole EU suit, not just the helmet and the cloak. It's a lot cooler to look like Kanos did in CE, to be honest. So i'm gonna try n get some armour, gauntlets and some other stuff, too.

Yeah, CE makes them basically into Low Level Sith Lords (a la Darth Maul). It's a bit of a stretch, assuming they were just Stormtroopers with an extra year of harsh training, or those ceremonial Senate guards.

Will we finally see them in action in the upcoming movie (so far we've seen them just stand around like those British guys with the big black furry hats)? Not reading the spoilers, I'll just have to wait... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived