Home

SWBF2: Sequel Megathread! - Discuss Battlefront 2 Here!

Ch1cago88

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they have all the new planets from episode 3

The battle of Coruscant,a more Jungle approach to Kashyyyk, Mustafar, a Naboo one with the big waterfall/cliff, A Polis Massa Space Battle w/ the Station as being a place to board. Utapu, a pit & the area on top too (maybe lots of elevators/ ships?) a more plain Tattoine, like just a homestead, but a bigger one, like Luke's and Owen's

I'd also like to see a more "inside" approach to Cloud City, and Two Deaths Stars, one with the Mon Calamari ship, and a Destroyer, ans one on the Inside.

Originally posted by Bah_Mee . . .

although I don't know how many ut2k4 fans there are in here but look at how epic does it, they release bonus packs for free and heres lucas arts milkin it for who knows how much, if it is an expansion it better be free. I spent good money on SWBF 1 and it still needs work to feel right, the bug with the imperial pilots mortar launcher reload mistake is buggin me! hehe as well as why didnt they make a male and female model for each class, now THAT would be cool! I wonder what a female stormtroopers armour would look like! shwing! hehe

I really think they should just add on to the first one but I guess I am a dreamer!

I am an Unreal Tournament 2004 player here. The bonus packs were a brilliant idea by Epic; they contain great maps, especially for the awesome Onslaught mode.

LEC is just milking the Star Wars fanbase cow.

I wish BF2 would jack up the graphics and add some customization to the player: varied skins, weapon combinations, etc.

Originally posted by clonearcman

Huh. I don't think it could get that much worse. Half the people that used to talk here are doing other stuff. I'm not playing BF at the moment actually but I still like to get on and post. I think that, if anything, will grow a little or a lot depending on how good BF2 is or the fact of expansion or new game.

better be for ps2:axe1:

I kno this has been mentioned b4, but wat bout the stationary turrets? it takes about 5 sec to turn 180 and the shooting rate is slower than a wookie running for its life after sticking a time bomb onto a walker's leg! Also most turrets shield ur legs when u on them, how bout shielding the head this time around huh?

Anti-air units, the units with rockets dont even scratch a starfighter, i think they should do mo' damage n carry mo rockets.

If any of u are familiar wit X-Wing Allience u would remember how sometimes the systems in a starfigher would get damaged if the ship was hit in a certain part of it.

I think it would be great if they added this realism in some manner or another to the starfighters and cruisers in the upcoming game and it would also make the r2d2 droids useful in space battles instead of having to land every time to fix something. If any of u have pics of any seige scenary plz post them i wanna c how they look, or any pics where where there are infiltrations, that sort of thing.

-May the force be with us all. :ewok:

That is why X-wing alliance came out, remember? For space "realism". Otherwise, I want to shoot guns out of people's hands, for Droids to have no hp (I mean, where's the armour?) for soldiers to get tired and feel the cold....

Screw realism, this is Star Wars! And Battlefront at that.

It's less a question of realism and more a question of depth.

For exemple, if the vehicles had hit areas, the rocket trooper could specifically target these weak spos in order to do more damage. Instead, we don't have that and vehicles are overpowered.

It's vehicle specific and not really for infantry.

Guest DarthMaulUK

The force is strong in Future's Official PlayStation 2 Magazine (OPS2). Later this month the popular magazine features more exclusive first looks at games than ever before - leading with a trilogy of sizzling Star Wars scoops.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 gets its first exclusive look together with a first look at the up coming Lego Star Wars game. Finally, a review of the Episode III game.

You can also get your hands on a playable demo of Lego Star Wars...go on..knock Vaders block off!

DMUK

ok ok. not 'realism' n mo 'depth' i guess for battlefront depth is mo important than realism. droids having armor is a intriguing idea. but i still think the tanks should have have pts of weakness. for example: u can launch rockes at it like bf1 and blow it up or u can somehow zoom in with a laser like pointing device and tatget the front visor where pilot drives the tank and kill him. i guess it's not an important factor but rather an interesting idea (for me at least). moving away from that subject matter.

i wanna b able to pick up weapons n melee some droids like in CN's Clone wars. n hopefully SWBF2 will not be as blurry looking as the first cuz i almost changed prescriptions cuz of it.

Picking up weapons might be a good idea so long as you cant change your original set, so the classes are still important but you can still pick up unique weapons, like speacial pistols, Health and ammo dispensers and speacial grenades or maybe the Tripod mounted blaster thing in the empire strikes back (E-web) on hoth and maybe the axes on the walls in jabbas palace, of course the supplies should be limited and have some disadvantages like limited supplies and a reduced speed or else itll get kind of cheap.

Adding more hit boxes would be cool in my opinion, I think the neck and head of the AT-AT should be weaker to the legs, but harder to hit, and maybe if the rear of your snow speeder is hit with a rocket, it will severly damage the gunner maybe killing him (like poor Dack in the empire strikes back). Characters should have more damage areas to like 1-3 hits to kill on the head 2-5 on the body and 3-6 on the legs and arms and maybe a one hit kill in the heart area.

Space maps=Big fun.

image.php?id=24907

In GC, you can walk inside corvettes, lancer frigates, carrack cruisers, and frigates, but not inside star destroyers (except in the Judicator map, which used a correctly scaled ISD which the game takes place entirely inside).

Every ship but the ISD can move, and frigates spawn fighters. You can board other ships, man turrets, dogfight, or execute strike missions using TIE Bombers, Y-Wings, and B-Wings. And of course there's the neat-looking cruiser-to-cruiser engagements.

OK, so for example, a nebulon b has six positions: One for the captain, that steers the ship; two for the heavy cannons which are supposed to be used against other cruisers, and three for the anti-fighter guns. The interior is really simple, just a hallway between the bridge and the hangar deck.

For evacuation, you use escape pods (or fighters, whichever comes with the ship;)), which have a limited amount of fuel, but are impervious to collision (so that you can miss your approach a few times and not die:p).

Picking up weapons might be a good idea so long as you cant change your original set

What's wrong with losing your original kit?

For example, if you have an anti-tank rocket launcher and all the AT class's equipment and you pick up a sniper's kit, shouldn't you lose all the AT equipment and get all the sniper's equipment (recon droid, etc.)?

Damaged systems: Big fun. Too realistic? Nah. Not more than limited ammunition.

R2: Yup, he's helpful in GC. He repairs damage the X-Wing or Y-Wing takes, so it's a good idea to bring him along:).

Picking up weapons might be a good idea so long as you cant change your original set, so the classes are still important but you can still pick up unique weapons, like speacial pistols, Health and ammo dispensers and speacial grenades or maybe the Tripod mounted blaster thing in the empire strikes back (E-web) on hoth and maybe the axes on the walls in jabbas palace, of course the supplies should be limited and have some disadvantages like limited supplies and a reduced speed or else itll get kind of cheap.

ParanoidAndroid: tnx for putting wat wat i had in mind more clearly :D . The game would be a whole lot better if the weakness to vehicles could be added.

Dagobahn Eagle

R2: Yup, he's helpful in GC. He repairs damage the X-Wing or Y-Wing takes, so it's a good idea to bring him along

finally som1 agrees with my ideas lol.

dagobah thx for putting those ideas they r great hope lucasarts drops by n reads them tnx to all for keepin this thread runnin.

keep me up to date wit pics n stuff

Well if you had to sacrifice your original kit to get a new one I suppose it would be okay, but it could encourage all kinds of cheap strategys like killing a friendly unit to steal there kit and would take a lot of strategy out of the game, you could just spawn as whoever you want and change as you go and I dont know if thats the sort of game battlefront should be, getting a small bonas weapon or two is one thing but changing your entire class? I dunno I think it sounds a bit cheap to me.

Why would you need to TK someone to get their kit if it's one of those you can already get. Maybe restrict picking up kits to non tk deaths so that someone who gets tk won't see his "teammate" steal the kit.

It's nothing cheap really. BF1942 has it and there's no problem. Better yet, Forgotten Hope has it and there has been little problems.

[What luke said. As usual:p]

It's a tested-and-true system. Even when your team mate has a special kit that can't be "spawned in" as (such as the Tracker heavy repeating blaster in GC or the .50 calibre rifle in Desert Combat) there is no TKing (Team Killing) for it.

In fact, there's a map for GC called ISD Judicator where both the rebels and imperials start with only a vibro-blade and a blaster pistol and have to arm themselves with rifles from weapons racks or Trackers from weapon crates. Even there, with the relative shortage of weapons, there is no TKing for weapons.

You do have a valid point when it comes to strategy, except as it is, people can just kill themselves to "spawn" in as another class, which is almost as bad.

Call of Duty's system is interesting, too. You can hold two weapons at the same time and then switch weapons for those lying on the ground (for example, you can have a sniper rifle and an MP 40 machine pistol and then trade the sniper rifle for a panzerfaust when an enemy Panzer IV approaches your newly-captured outpost).

But BF 1942 and Battlefront's classes are so unique I don't think that would work very well... At all.

Hey DarthMaulUK,

Thanks for the scoop info. I'l be on the look out for as much Star Wars Battlefront II scoop info as I can until the more comprehensive game previews start getting circulated.

Future's website doesn't have a dedicated page for the Official PlayStation 2 Magazine (OPS2) :( but I doubt they'd put much about this trilogy anyway. :D

I'll have to grab me a copy of this.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

In fact, there's a map for GC called ISD Judicator where both the rebels and imperials start with only a vibro-blade and a blaster pistol and have to arm themselves with rifles from weapons racks or Trackers from weapon crates. Even there, with the relative shortage of weapons, there is no TKing for weapons.

I'll just point out that there's a slight difference here. You'd have to TK with a pistol/vibroblade against an E-11. Let's say that unless I was really stupid, I wouldn't like to try that.

I've been TKed on Judicator before. Just once so it's nothing much.

Too bad I don't play GC anymore...no more good servers where I get a low ping :(

I think the best example here is Forgotten Hope. The best weapons you can find are usually pick-up kits(FG42, StG44, MG34/42 on certain maps, any sniper rifle) and nobody, NOBODY TKs for them. Granted, any weapon is already pretty deadly so it's not a necessity but since snipers are rare, you'd expect little sniper whores to tk to get the kits. Well, they don't.

Come to think of it, it's a question of class and weapon balancing. Like I said, since any weapon in Forgotten Hope does the job, losing 2 points for a TK doesn't seem to give you that much benefit since any advantage given by the better weapons are usually pretty minor(scope, better accuracy, rate of fire, firepower).

So when I see my teammate that has stolen an StG44 and I have a Garand, will it be worth it? A Garand would do the job in most situation and can even be used with certain success in close combat. Of course, an StG44 is more well rounded but has slightly less firepower. Is it really worth it?

To summarize it all, if the pick-up kits have both advantages and disadvantages, people won't necessarily TK to get them. They might not want to take them! Of course, if they become god-like weapons, expect to see lots of TK.

Very true, that, luke. Good way to sort it all out.

I thought I'd contribute with some pictures from GC's space maps, just to give you some idea of what they're like. Space map screen shots

I posted earlier with a list of the maps and the basics of them, well, here are the pictures (including one of the Y-Wing;)).

I'll just point out that there's a slight difference here. You'd have to TK with a pistol/vibroblade against an E-11. Let's say that unless I was really stupid, I wouldn't like to try that.

Right, of course not:o .

I dont know the idea of being able to switch your original kit for another one, I mean sure respawning essentially lets you do the same thing but if you respawn then you have to take a death, plus you cant respawn where you were when you died, very annoying if you just worked really hard to get behind enemy lines. Changing your kit on the fly would make the classes almost useless, youd basicly just be picking your skin, and what about jet pack troopers? would they lose there jet packs if they changed kits? that could lead to all sorts of trouble. Weapons should be on battlefield bonuses such as a Heavy rifle, with maybe a slower rate of fire, or a belt with extra grenades, somthing to help out the cause with out impacting gameplay that much.

You want to keep some element of strategy to the game, if all the vehicles are dead then a Heavy weapons trooper should do somthing useful, like fire rockets to disrupt enemy troops or defend a base by laying mines, not just grab a sniper rifle and drop the rocket launcher.

Also, thanks for the article It was really informative and the screens looked cool.

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid

I dont know the idea of being able to switch your original kit for another one, I mean sure respawning essentially lets you do the same thing but if you respawn then you have to take a death, plus you cant respawn where you were when you died, very annoying if you just worked really hard to get behind enemy lines.

You can steal enemy kits :)

Changing your kit on the fly would make the classes almost useless, youd basicly just be picking your skin,

You're making it sound like the pick-up kits are extremely numerous on the battlefield which they aren't. There's quite a limited number of them. For a map adapted for a 16 vs 16, there's no more then 4-10 pick up kits, some of them hidden and requiring you to work to get them.

and what about jet pack troopers? would they lose there jet packs if they changed kits? that could lead to all sorts of trouble.

Basically, yes, they'd lose their jet pack along with the shotgun to replace it with whatever they picked up. I don't see where the trouble is.

Weapons should be on battlefield bonuses such as a Heavy rifle, with maybe a slower rate of fire, or a belt with extra grenades, somthing to help out the cause with out impacting gameplay that much.

Which is the same with the pik-up kits of Forgotten Hope, Galactic Conquest or even Desert Combat.

You want to keep some element of strategy to the game, if all the vehicles are dead then a Heavy weapons trooper should do somthing useful, like fire rockets to disrupt enemy troops or defend a base by laying mines, not just grab a sniper rifle and drop the rocket launcher.

You make it sound once again like if the pick-up kits are that numerous or can be found anywhere on a cinch, which is wrong. Their disposition is usually at main bases and some at other flags.

But anyway, if your unit is strategically useless, why force it to keep a rocket launcher?

Well I assumed the kits where numerous if as you say dead troops drop there kits when they die then there would be kits lying all over the battlefield. Not exactly hard to get if you know where the big battles will take place.

Also I meant that even if there appears to be no more use for that unit the player shouldnt just ditch him and pick another class, but rather find a unique way in which that certain class could help out the team in a diffrent way.

I see why you would want to be able to change your class in game but I really dont think changing your class in-game could work.

Well I assumed the kits where numerous if as you say dead troops drop there kits when they die then there would be kits lying all over the battlefield. Not exactly hard to get if you know where the big battles will take place.

They don't stay there forever you know ;) They dissappear after a while.

Besides, dead troop would drop their old gear which consists of standard equipment. Nothing the other team can't spawn with. At least, most of the time.

It also seems you skip parts of other people's posts. I said that special pick-up kits aren't very numerous on the battlefield.

Also I meant that even if there appears to be no more use for that unit the player shouldnt just ditch him and pick another class, but rather find a unique way in which that certain class could help out the team in a diffrent way.

That doesn't make him more useful. What do you think a tank commander would do if he lost his tank and was stuck in the middle of a battle, surrounded by infantry? He'd pick-up what he can and defend himself. The logic of things

I see why you would want to be able to change your class in game but I really dont think changing your class in-game could work.

Tried, tested and true. It works for BF1942, it should work for SWBF.

Basically, yes, they'd lose their jet pack along with the shotgun to replace it with whatever they picked up. I don't see where the trouble is.

Right. What's the problem? He gains the benefits of the kit he picks up.

But the fact is that, say, an Anti-Tank trooper is far better at destroying enemy tanks than, say, a sniper is.

Scenario: You're a sniper, your team-mate is a tank hunter. A tank appears and kills your tank hunter buddy. What do you do, take the tank hunter's kit or try to shoot at the tank with your sniper rifle (assuming your AT weapons, such as the recon droid, are gone, that is)?

The only problem I see is that SWBF has multiple types of creatures on a single team (humans and wookies on one team, for example). But what the Heck, a Wookiee should be able to pick up, say, an Anti-tank kit without turning into a human, so no problem there.

And it's not like people change classes all the time. On average, I change my class every.. Say, tenth to fifteenth life, even with Galactic Conquest's very specialized classes.

I recommend downloading the BF 1942 demo to get an impression of what the system is like.

I don't know why most of you are pessimists, no offense (...)

Well, I'm not saying Battlefront is a bad game, but it's not my type of game. Battlefront is a pick-up-and-play title with no learning curve whatsoever, and nearly no challenges (in my eyes).

I prefer more complicated titles where you actually need to work a little to be good. In Battlefront, however, there's not even a challenge in flying - not only is the flying system extremely simple, you even have automated take-off and landing!

So to sum up my view: For an arcade game, SWBF isn't bad. It can be quite fun, actually. Unfortunately, I'm not much of an arcade game fan, so I'm not too interested in SWBF 2 as it appears it'll be an arcade title like the original SWBF.

Archived