Home

SWBF2: Sequel Megathread! - Discuss Battlefront 2 Here!

Ch1cago88

It also seems you skip parts of other people's posts. I said that special pick-up kits aren't very numerous on the battlefield.

Well see I dont have a problem with speacial weapon pick up kits, just ones that allow you to change your class.

Besides, dead troop would drop their old gear which consists of standard equipment. Nothing the other team can't spawn with. At least, most of the time.

The fact that the gear you pick up from dead enemies is similar to the gear that you can spawn with isnt important, its the fact that you are basicly switching your class in the middle of a battle that I have doubts about.

That doesn't make him more useful. What do you think a tank commander would do if he lost his tank and was stuck in the middle of a battle, surrounded by infantry? He'd pick-up what he can and defend himself. The logic of things

True but thats what he has a pistol and grenades for, sure the pistol isnt the best of weapons, but maybe he could pick up a more powerful side arm somewhere on the battlefield, somthing that packs a bit more punch then the pistol.

But I do get your point about the sniper, It would be stupid of him to just stand there shooting at the thing, but then again its the snipers job to remain hidden, wait until the guy in the tank has passed or gotten out to repair or capture a command post then shoot him in the head, then steal the tank:). If the heavy weapons trooper was blown away then the sniper probably wouldnt have enough time to dash out and grab the weapon and even get one shot off before he to was blown away.

I have played the battlefield demo but I dont think it really gave a good impression about the actual game, the battlefield seemed kind of sparse, barly any troops on it at all and even though it had some cool features that would make battlefront cooler I dont think that weapon switching would work for battlefront the way it works for battlefield, but maybe they could, I think maybe if like you said the switching isnt that common and you have to drop your original kit and maybe if you could only get it from dead comrads and enemies, speacial weapons could still be scattered around though.

It could work, but maybe other classes should get some penalty from using a weapon outside there class, for example a marksman is a bit less accurate then an actual heavy weapons trooper and takes a longer time to reload because she has not had the training but can still use it if the need arises.

And Phirestorm you are right, people do complain to much about battlefront, actually they complain to much about anygame, people have a way of just seeing the stuff that could be in the game instead of the stuff that is in it, Take the map Mos Eisly for example, Lucasarts added jawas to the map and I was thrilled to see they were included, sure they dont really do much but it was nice to know they cared enough to add extra things like that into the map, but soon I began wishing I could see more aliens there, like maybe the cantina band or somthing. No game will ever be perfect in my opinion, people will still find small things to whine about and wish for certain things, or characters, but we cant have it all. No game will ever be perfect but maybe with some help lucasarts can make a game that comes pretty darn close, thats why I keep posting suggestions and stuff, for the offchance that maybe someone will read it and agree and who knows maybe even add it into the game. Sure battlefront could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse to.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well see I dont have a problem with speacial weapon pick up kits, just ones that allow you to change your class.

Pick-up kits in the BF games do change your class.

It could work, but maybe other classes should get some penalty from using a weapon outside there class, for example a marksman is a bit less accurate then an actual heavy weapons trooper and takes a longer time to reload because she has not had the training but can still use it if the need arises.

That's not such a bad idea, now that you say it. I'll think about that.

I don't know about the penalties. It would make sense except for the fact of the units history in training. Like a clone arc trooper (heh heh heh) is supposed to be really well trained and that includes knowledge about the enemies weapons. The wookie smuggler would know the imperial weapons quite well because it sees them all the time and if you look in comics and stuff you can see that they always know this gun type.

By "speacial weapon" pick up kits I meant items that you can pick up in addition to your class weapons without completely changing it. Such as an E-web or maybe a light blaster side arm, not a whole weapons kit but just a single weapon you can add on to your base kit without dropping it or changing it drasticly.

Now aside from the whole playable weapons thing, does anyone else here think melee attacks would be a good idea? Some of my friends have said it would be cool if you could punch units at close quarters, maybe knock them down or temporarily stun them, and maybe the wookiee could actually pick up units and throw them. What does everyone else think? would punching/melee attacks be good for battlefront or just get kind of annoying? They could only work at close quarters of course but might be fun, especially if you could knock someone into the sarlacc or that energy thing in the sheild generator.

Another thing I would really like to see is the ability to grab onto ledges and pull yourself up, I know most battlefields dont have many drops but it would be a life saver on other maps, of course it would leave the unit open to attack while climbing up but would be a life saver if you accidently fall of a ledge or help you get to a hard to reach sniping spot. Nothing really drastic, just someplace thats not very easy to get to.

I would love to see punching and throwing (throwing limited to wookies). I'd just love to see a wookie chuck a stormtrooper off a platform!;) And in the Playstation article, they got their movies wrong:

... you're watching the sequence from The Empire Strikes Back where the Ewoks crush an AT-ST to pieces with two swinging logs of death.

:rolleyes:

By "speacial weapon" pick up kits I meant items that you can pick up in addition to your class weapons without completely changing it. Such as an E-web or maybe a light blaster side arm, not a whole weapons kit but just a single weapon you can add on to your base kit without dropping it or changing it drasticly.

But an E-Web would change your kit drastically. Imagine a tank hunter with an E-Web in addition to his AT gear: Able to mow down infantry with E-Web fire and destroy tanks with his AT rockets. That'd be vastly unbalancing.

Meele: Let me hit enemy soldiers with the butt of my weapon like in Call of Duty and I'll be happy.

Oh okay I see your point, they would probably have to make some sort of balancing system with the E-web, for example while carrying one it would drasticly slow your speed, and jumping ability and maybe even your ability to roll, since the Anti Tank class is usually slow then adding an E-web to his already heavy burden might not be a wise idea, besides the E-web would take time to unpack and set up so he would be a tempting target for snipers. The E-web and other weapons should be sort of like vehicles, sure they alter your class, I mean anyone can mow down infantry while in an AT-ST, but they are in limited supply, so you will only have like maybe 3 E-web troopers on the field at once, plus some classes are more suited towards them then others, an E-web would be burdonson to the already burdened Anti Tank trooper so he isnt the best candidate.

Somthing I think would be cool is to have some speacisl "campaign battles" these battles would have speacial rules, like you cant play certain classes or maybe certain weapons are disabled, and are only playable during the campaign, sort of like fighting the gungans/ Naboo guards in the first one but more in depth, for example they could have a Theed: Palace map where you have to play as a Naboo guard, they are lightly armed with only pistols, two thermal detonators and grappling hooks but can steal weapons from dead droids and your mission is to capture the viceroy, and keep the queen alive, So you would start in the hanger and have to retake the palace, you could fight your way through it and maybe have breakable windows to use the grappling hooks to move to the next floor without having to fight the droids, Once you reached the throne room you would have to blast all the door controls so the Viceroy cant escape and then kill off all his body guards then hold him for like 20 seconds then victory would be yours, but if yours slow about blasting the doors he could escape and hide by another spawn point.

Basicly battles like that, where your not the normal army and have to use speacial rules/ weapons, Some other cool ones would be the arena of geonosis where everyone is a jedi and you have to keep the main characters alive long enough for yoda to arrive, and maybe a battle above the sarlacc where each skiff is a spawn point you control by taking over the drivers position, and each rebel is unarmed and can only punch and must steal weapons from jabbas goons, hijack both skiffs then destroy the barge, after rescuing some prisoners of course. There could be a Boba Fett NPC on that map to give you trouble to, and maybe Luke Skywalker to help the rebels, I know its not exactly what happened but I think it would be an awsome battle to fight.

Some other things:

• No stupid bots that don't fit in. For example, why do those dumb Jawas scurry around in Mos Eisley? If they had a single point of IQ they'd take shelter. They don't add anything to the fun of the game, either. I honestly can't understand why people want a cantina band playing, Jabba the Hutt sitting in his palace, or any other bots that act completely stupid. I mean, what on Earth are you standing there playing in your band for when the cantina is empty and you're in the middle of a fire fight:rolleyes:?! How many musicians did you see playing in the Palace during the battle of Naboo?
  • Climbing. Adds a huge deal to the game. Instead of having to bunny-jump over obstacles you could just hoist yourself over them.
  • Leave tanks as powerful as they are. A lot of people complain that vehicles are too powerful versus infantry, but here's a news flash: Tanks are supposed to "pwn" infantry. A droid tank with a 35mm laser cannon and a two-inches thick armour is supposed to be able to make short work of any grunt it encounters (except from those carrying rocket launchers or the likes, of course:p!).
  • A real flight system. Heck, the Rogue Squadron series had a more complicated system than Battlefront, which says a good deal, to say the least. Give the player full control of the fighter instead of limiting flying to 30-degrees turns and 30-degrees pitch. Oh, and anyone with an IQ of 50 or more manages to land: Take out that stupid auto-VTOL, please.
  • Bigger maps: I don't even need to explain my point here.
  • Ability to set ticket count yourself: Very important feature.
  • Different game modes: Trying to incorporate destroyable objectives in a Conquest map is most often a bad idea. Have certain maps be purely objective-mode map where one side wins when destroying a certain thing on the map - period.

sure, great ideas there, why dont you just steal all of our ideas, (im from the galactic conquest Team), i mean im sure the guys at pandemic wouldnt be adversed to stealing them, since almost everything ive read about SWBF is almost a direct port of ideas allready LONG implemented into GC mod, for BF1942, except youll have to buy their product.

at least we didnt cave into the screaming masses who wanted jedi's.

Tonnes of stuff for SWBF has been taken from GC and BF 1942, no question about it (even the game mode name, which is pretty hilarious:D!). Maybe your next project should have "Battlefront" in it, Preacher, to "re-pay an old debt"? Or maybe r5,3 should have BGC be renamed to "Battlefront Galactic Conquest";)?

Better yet, have Pandemic port Galactic Conquest to PlayStation 2 with state-of-the-art graphics and sound effects as it rules so much.

---Safe-Keeper

I love the setup that 1942 has. That's obviously another reason why I like BF just as well besides the fact that its star wars.

Anyway, do you think that the clone suits will be modified to the revenge of the sith version? And will they have revenge of the sith maps?

I think there will be ROTS maps because in one of the articles, they mentioned the Battle of Coruscant. As for the clones's new look, I hope they divide the Clone Wars into two seperate eras: Early Clone Wars and Late Clone Wars so they could include the old and new vehicles.:)

Why? the newer clones look cooler I think. I think that the newer jedi starfighters look cooler too. I hope they can take more than just three or four shots to destroy. The fact is though that some of the vehicles aren't new but just weren't shown in the movies so its EU (expanded universe).

There will definetly be revenge of the sith maps in BF2 thats like one of its major selling points besides space battles, I think the clone trooper armor will change with the battlefield, early clone war battles like geonosis will have the old clone armor and the newer ones will have the newer clone armor, just a change of uniform there weapons and stuff should stay the same.

I agree with all the points you listed, Dagobahn Eagle, but I also think there should be a counter to set the number of bots/players on the field as well as the ticket count, an 1000 point battle with only thirty people on the map might get old fast and take forever to complete, but if you had 100 or 250 players/bots on the map it would make it seem more like the real battles.

I agree with the larger maps thing to an extent, really the size of most of the maps in battlefront were pretty good, I mean you dont want all the maps to be so huge it takes forever to go anywhere without a vehicle, some just seemed small because there werent enough troops or vehicels on the map, if they simply added more then the map would be a lot better. Some of the maps could be bigger I agree but not all the maps need to be super large I think there should be an even mix of small skirmish/ urban war maps, medium sized battles and full scale epic battles.

The only thing I dont agree with is the "Useless bots". I mean if they were to remove all the bots that dont really have an impact on the game then why not remove the geonosians, gungans, and ewoks. They barley ever actually kill anyone and are just annoying! The truth is its stuff like this that adds flavor to the game and makes it seem more like Star Wars, seeing the jawas in mos eisly really make the game seem more like star wars if you ask me, sure they dont make a real diffrence there eye candy units. I would love to see more people roaming around Mos Eisly, I mean as shown in the cantina scene its a pretty rough town, being close to danger is probably an everyday occurance there and there not going to let a little skirmish between the rebels and the imperials keep them from there drinks, sure they will flee if they get caught in the cross fire there not THAT dumb. I would love to see a Mos Eisly with aliens wandering the streets, a large mass would congregate in the cantina and then if a stray bullet his one everyone runs for cover shooting at the offending team if they have weapons of course, after the action dies down they would begin to creep back into the cantina until the next fight breaks out. Heck I would like to see more useless bots, like maybe some protocol droids at certain bases, they would just stand next to computers messing with the controls until the enemy team show up then they would flee to the nearest command post. Such units do make the game more enjoyable, of course this is just my opinion on the matter.

There is one more thing I would love to see in the game and that is Doors! They could make the old levels much more enjoyable if they just allowed you to use the doors to enter buildings and such, Think about how cool Mos Eisly would be if you could hide inside the houses and use them as short cuts, or in Theed if you could enter the houses and snipe from the windows, heck make windows breakable! Doors could be automatic or lockable, If a door is locked then you must either get a pilot to over ride the lock or use grenades/time bombs/ rocket launchers to blast them open, If they added a door to the bunker in Endor they could make it alot harder to destroy the generator.

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid

I agree with the larger maps thing to an extent, really the size of most of the maps in battlefront were pretty good, I mean you dont want all the maps to be so huge it takes forever to go anywhere without a vehicle, some just seemed small because there werent enough troops or vehicels on the map, if they simply added more then the map would be a lot better. Some of the maps could be bigger I agree but not all the maps need to be super large I think there should be an even mix of small skirmish/ urban war maps, medium sized battles and full scale epic battles.

This is based fully on map design and the overall quality of them.

In my opinion, this is really directly linked to how the spawn points are placed relatively to the size of the map.

I have no problem running for a minute to get to some place on the battlefield. Sometimes though, it's just too much.

The map makers for SWBF seemed to forget that vehicle existed. Perhaps it's due to the unexistence of "taxi" vehicles, simple speeders that get you from point A to point B, simple transport vehicles. If it existed, the maps could be larger. Maps like Endor, Hoth, Naboo:Plains and Dune Sea all deserve to be much larger then what they are now.

Of course, they have to be careful. The one thing I hated, loathed with all of my heart with Galactic Conquest was the size of the maps. Some maps are fine since the number of transports was ok but some of them...if you lost your transport and managed to survive, the suicide button is your only option.

Id also like to see elevators in some of the maps. They make really good choke points and are always add a little more excitement to the game. It would be so cool to see the elevator doors open and have 5 guys charging at you. But of course there would have to be alternate routes otherwise the doors will open on a mine and you will all die :p

They should give you to ability to have a parachute when you eject from air vehicals and starfighters on ground assault missions so you could have a safe landing insead of falling to your death and in space, escape pods that will be pick up by transport ships take you by to the ship to rejoin the battle. :x-wing:

They should give you to ability to have a parachute when you eject from air vehicals and starfighters on ground assault missions so you could have a safe landing insead of falling to your death and in space, escape pods that will be pick up by transport ships take you by to the ship to rejoin the battle.

Not the parachute debate again. That's been discussed to death both here and on the Galactic Conquest forums.

Parachutes are not only exploited to death in BF 1942, they also totally fail to fit into the Star Wars universe. You might as well give the soldiers Swiss army knives, AK 47 assault rifles, and T'ai-Wanese flags on their uniforms...

Third of all, they add to the game's challenge as you need to land to save yourself. In BF 1942, your craft can reach 0% health or lower and not immediately explode. You lose engine power and most agility, but you can guide your ship to the ground and hurriedly jump out before she blows. It's near impossible, but it happens.

In SWBF I don't think this system exists, but you still can land and bail out when your hit points reach <10% and you've got a TIE all over you.

Not to mention that the lack of parachutes encourages you to land and repair rather than ditch your craft, meaning that you last longer in the air.

Oh, and...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132338&highlight=parachute

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=391445&highlight=parachute

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=360327&highlight=parachute

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=360878&highlight=parachute

:cool:

As a side note, Adumarians do have chutes (Starfighters of Adumar novel). But if they are to be implemented, it'd have to be done carefully so that parachutes involve some sort of risk (you get dragged by your chute a few meters after hitting the ground, for example). Makes them harder to exploit.

Escape pods are a good idea, though. They're in Galactic Conquest, where they come with the ships that don't carry fighters so that the crew can survive even if the ship is doomed. They have limited fuel and agility, but they at least give you a chance to survive if you can land in a hangar bay or on a station's landing platform. And they're cool to shoot at:D.

I'd also like to see elevators in some of the maps. They make really good choke points and are always add a little more excitement to the game. It would be so cool to see the elevator doors open and have 5 guys charging at you. But of course there would have to be alternate routes otherwise the doors will open on a mine and you will all die :p

Agreed, except the different routes. This isn't Star Trek:).

Basically, Galactic Conquest is the perfect Representation of a Star Wars game, and the way SWBF SHOULD have been made.

So how about Lucas Arts Hire the GC devs and pay us to make a commercial game.

Fans of Star Wars making a Star Wars game the way the Fans want it couldnt be a bad thing ;)

People seriously... as cool as it may seem parachutes do not fit into this game (my opinion). I like the option of being able to manuever the craft to a rough landing rather than ditching it, this is wat a REAL pilot would do. I agree with the escape pod idea, it seems reasonable, however these pods should only be placed onboard capital ships, transports and such and not on starfighters. The starfighter is ur escape pod don't blow it!

Has anyone consider the idea to have a tractor beam as a secondary weapon on a starfighter? Capital ships and transports should already have it, but it would be cool to have it on a starfighter.

The good: Allowing a starfighter to dock with the probe (or use its tractor beam as it is the case) would make it easier for ppl to survive because the ship can than pick them up and take them straight to the docking bay of a capital ship.

The bad: By doing so, the starfighter would lose speed as well as stability and maneuverability. It would still be able to shoot but it only what's in front of it.

Also the number of people in a scape pod should be limited to two or four max (If the # of ppl per pod has already been discussed disregard my comment). Also, there should be at most three or four pods on a capital ship. This will make it hard for everybody to get out of the ship alive, which i think adds up to the struggle of not blowing the ship up, plus u can ditch someone u dont like (like the admiral for example) and let him/her go down with the ship!

Putting elevators in some part of levels seems like a pretty cool idea. However, the idea of having or not having alternate routes still lingers in my mind! This is good and bad. What if an alternate route can only be used by some1 with a jetpack? We'll see in the days to come! Thnx to all of you guys who keep posting ur ideas, if anyone is still complaing about having a parachute tell them to join the infantry squad! or better yet, the Water Boy's Legion of Terror!

-May the force be with us all. :ewok:

So how about Lucas Arts Hire the GC devs and pay us to make a commercial game.

Keep your fingers crossed. Desert Combat's developer team got hired by the people making Battlefield 2, after all:)!

Tractors beams were unofficially developed for Galactic Conquest but didn't make it in. I've seen screen shots of a cruiser pulling another cruiser, and it looked sort of neat. I wouldn't want fighters to have them, though.

Originally posted by chatto

People seriously... as cool as it may seem parachutes do not fit into this game (my opinion). I like the option of being able to manuever the craft to a rough landing rather than ditching it, this is wat a REAL pilot would do. I agree with the escape pod idea, it seems reasonable, however these pods should only be placed onboard capital ships, transports and such and not on starfighters. The starfighter is ur escape pod don't blow it!

Has anyone consider the idea to have a tractor beam as a secondary weapon on a starfighter? Capital ships and transports should already have it, but it would be cool to have it on a starfighter.

The good: Allowing a starfighter to dock with the probe (or use its tractor beam as it is the case) would make it easier for ppl to survive because the ship can than pick them up and take them straight to the docking bay of a capital ship.

The bad: By doing so, the starfighter would lose speed as well as stability and maneuverability. It would still be able to shoot but it only what's in front of it.

Also the number of people in a scape pod should be limited to two or four max (If the # of ppl per pod has already been discussed disregard my comment). Also, there should be at most three or four pods on a capital ship. This will make it hard for everybody to get out of the ship alive, which i think adds up to the struggle of not blowing the ship up, plus u can ditch someone u dont like (like the admiral for example) and let him/her go down with the ship!

Putting elevators in some part of levels seems like a pretty cool idea. However, the idea of having or not having alternate routes still lingers in my mind! This is good and bad. What if an alternate route can only be used by some1 with a jetpack? We'll see in the days to come! Thnx to all of you guys who keep posting ur ideas, if anyone is still complaing about having a parachute tell them to join the infantry squad! or better yet, the Water Boy's Legion of Terror!

I am exceptional pilot buddy, its just trying to land when a turret or starfighter is constanly shooting at you is suicide.:mad:

I am exceptional pilot buddy, its just trying to land when a turret or starfighter is constanly shooting at you is suicide.

It sounds to me that you're having trouble learining the ways of the pilot! I am a pilot myself windu6 and i understand that its hard to land under such conditions. Come on dude if call ur self a pilot be creative. try to fly low enough and then jump off. learn to deal with!

Archived