Home

Best RPG Battle System

Derc

Best PRG Combat System  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Best PRG Combat System

• Turn-based (FFX, Xenosaga)
    • Active-Time, or ATB (FF7, FF8, FFX-2)
    • Action (Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean 3, Fable)
    • d20 (KoTOR, TSL)
    • Other...? Please Specify!

Because you have an option for D20 I'm assuming you also mean PnP RPG's as well.

IMHO in PnP RPG's then the best would have to be West End Games D6 Star Wars RPG System, the second best would be TSR's AD&D 2nd Edition System, with both these game systems they were really getting finely tuned, and really versatile... before Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast came and ruined both of these systems with their vaunted D20 schlock! :(

Thankfully, we still have the Palladium Game System free from the clutches of that dreadful D20 system. The Palladium system is quite good, it is the most universal system of all of them, and would qualify as my third favorite.

I started on TSR's D&D then AD&D and AD&D 2nd Ed. then on to WEG D6 so those systems will always be at the top of my list. Then I got some exposure to the Palladium system with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's and other Strangeness and Macross/RoboTech, and Hero's Unlimited RPG's

Other PnP RPG systems I enjoyed were;

--------------------------------------------------

Chaosium's RPG System (Many RPG games used this system Call of Cthulu, Elf Quest, Rune Quest, and Stormbringer to name a few.)

FASA's BattleTech RPG System

FASA's Star Trek RPG System

R. Talsorian Games Mekton RPG System

As you can probably tell I really dislike the D20 system, and WotC. :D

If you were simply addressing Computer RPG's only then I would have to say I still have a soft spot for the old Pool of Radiance series. Of course KOTOR and TSL too. ;)

Guest Saturnine

I think that the turn-based in style of Arcanum, Fallout 1 & 2 and especially Temple of Elemental Evil is the best possible solution for C-RPG's, since it is the closest thing we can get to the real RPG thing.

The next best thing is the real-time with pause, but it works only with isometric view or free camera. While it works decently in BG, IWD, PS:T and NWN, it is completely f*cked up in KoTOR and TSL.

Completely real-time battles without option for pausing is kind of awkward. It works in TES I-III and VtM:B, but not really in anywhere else.

What comes to turn-based in style of J-RPGWRP's (that stands for 'japanese role-playing games without role-playing') like Final Fantasy, it is ridicilous, but so are the other parts of those games too.

I'd would have to go with the KOTOR basics, but I would alter it a lot.

First I would only let Dex determine if you avoid getting hit, and remove the armor for this purpose, don't worry it'll show up later.

Second, I would use magic with points (like the Force Points in KOTOR). Since I have played Baldurs Gate (also D20, but worked out differently) I just thought I should mention it. I'm not really in for memorising several of the same spell. Either you know it or you don't, if you know it you don't memorise it twice. And here's where the points come in.

Third, I wouldn't really use dices and stuff, I would use percentage, but I think that is really a matter of how you look at it.

Last the armor, I would use the armor to supstract points of damage suffered, while still keeping the restrictions to a Dex modifier. So if you get hit and suffer 50 points of damage, but you have an armor of 10 you only suffer 40 damage.

I also think the renewable shields in KOTOR should work differently, but that really hasn't anything to do with the system.

Originally posted by Vladimir-Vlada

HMMMM.

What is the diference between Action and Active Time?

Action, is basically platforming. That is, you're free to run around the screen, attacking freely. It's real time.

ATB is kinda like a fast-pace turn-based combat, except you have to wait for a little bar to fill up before you can take your turn.

Take FFX-2 for example:

ffx2_screen019smaller.jpg

See those light green bars at the bottom left? They slowly(or quickly, whatever) fill up, and when they do, that character can have its turn. This also applies to the enemy, of course.

I gotta stand by Shadowbanes System.

Its technically turn based, but the Turn is based on magical enchantments and weapon speed with other variables factored in like dexterity and such. So a dagger user attacks 4-6x for every 1 attack with a 2-handed axe. But the Axe does incredible damage to make up for its slow speed.

In a PvP world, it makes fights a whole lotta fun.

But in standalone games, I like the D20 system.

I like the current KOTOR d20 system. Active-time would be my second choice but it always removed a bit of realism when I played games like that.

You stand on one spot, then move in and out to attack. It's kinda weird when I think about it.

I seriously loathe full action(similar to platforming). To me, it removes the whole point of it being an RPG and not a platformer or hack-and-slash game, often relying on manual dexterity more then strategic thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived