Home

"Boss" Skin... ?

Kurgan

Is it my imagination, or is the skin that Delta 38 has (ie: "boss", the character you play in SP) not available in this game?

As many of you know, just like in the Demo, in the SP game they figured you wouldn't be using third person view, so they just gave you a generic gray (low res) Clone Commando skin, rather than the painted orange one shown on the box art, concept art, etc for the game.

Well in MP there is no such limitation, but I wonder why they didn't include that skin as something you could choose there?

They got lazy and just didn't make it? What about those textures they obviously had to create for the publicity models? Oh well.

That and the generic silver/gray trooper (the one all of Delta Squad had before Lucas insisted on the armor paint being added to the game) ought to be the first things that are added for new usable skins when the mod tools come out!

Having Boss's proper skin in SP isn't a big deal (not like it is for MP!), but it could be cool for taking screenshots.

;)

Edit: In MP it appears that the first person "arms" are all the same for Commandos. You have a silver coloration (with some yellow detail on the upper arms). The Trandos all have the same Trando merc arms.

Oddly enough if you go into spectator mode, you'll see the Commandos all have Boss's coloration in first person view (behindview 0), just like Single Player!

Originally posted by Antonius

In SP you see your hand and arm when you hack a computer or give orders and it has the orange on it. In the very beginning when you first put on your helmet you will notice that it isnt painted like the one on the cover of the box.

True that you do see your armor with orange when you melee/hack/set demo/man turret, that doesn't mean the entire body skin is being rendered, only the forearms. Having played through the entire game, I can say that I never saw Boss' skin, As for the Generic White trooper, that skin is in the game, as said above, the armor you receive at the start of the game is white (since they probably customize it later) and the commnado's in front and the one to the right of the line have the commando armor fully rendered on all sides in plain white/gray. So there is no reason that that isn't in the MP options. Boss' skin and Scorch's voice are 2 things im puzzled as to why they aren't in MP.

They did make an orange skin for Boss. You can see it in some of the videos on the official site. I think originally they were going to have Fixer with the orange skin, because you can see in some of the videos the orange skin with Fixer's accessories (helmet antenna, extentions on backpack).

I imagine the reason there is no voice of Scorch in MP is that the actor wasn't available to do the voice acting. Maybe he got called away from the project, ran out of time to record him, didn't have him contracted to do an MP voice, who knows. Modders could probably add in his voice from his lines in SP, which is one thing I plan to do when the tools are out.

Originally posted by TK-8252

They did make an orange skin for Boss. You can see it in some of the videos on the official site.

Nonetheless, as of now there is no way to use it. And therein lies the real problem.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this? Is the modding scene for this game dead?

All I wanted was to be able to pick a generic "white" suit of armor and Boss's skin for Multiplayer... since it looks like there's not going to be any more patches or officially added content (and no plans for a sequel).

Apparently, no one is really modding.

I did look through the game files, and found the Boss skin in with the other Clone Commando skins. With some work, probably coding changes, it could be worked in. But since modding is seemingly unpopular, it wouldn't be worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

duaryn you meanie...this thread has been unanswered for months now.

I'm sure duaryn has found a way to change the MP texture by editing the properties in the Unreal Editor under objects. I'm not going to even attempt to locate what he found as it's really not something I excel in.

Here's an easier way to make the Boss texture appear in MP.

Before you do anything please make a backup copy of your CloneTextures package located C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic Commando\GameData\Textures

As RC has overlooked the Boss skin and hardcoded the skins we can select I went about adding the Boss texture by simply renaming it to a file that the engine recognises. We're going to lose the green commando here but that skin's not the greatest anyway.

Open the editor > Go to textures > Select Clone Textures (sub heading) CloneTextures > Go to Texture CloneCommado38 > Right click and click Export to File... > Save as CloneCommando40.bmp

Please add the extension .bmp or you won't be able to save the file.

Let's bring the Boss file back in now. In the Textures area again go to File > Import > Select the saves CloneCommando40.bmp and OK > In the Import Texture window click OK. Scroll down to CloneCommando40 and the green skin will have been replaced with the Boss skin.

Exit the Unreal Editor and OK when the prompt appears to update the Clone Texture Package.

Now start Republic Commando and go to Multiplayer > Customize. Select the Ranger skin and the Boss skin will appear.

Host your own MP map and either kill yourself or ~ to open the console and type togglebehindview

You'll have to do some quick turns to see the skin in all of its glory or ask someone else to make the same edits so you can play together. Once you've made this change you won't be able to enter anybody elses server unless they have also made the same edits to their texture package. Republic Commando is running on a heavily stripped down version of the Unreal Engine and we've lost a lot of the functions and flexibility found in other Unreal based games.

When you're ready to restore the texture simply delete the edited CloneTexture package and replace it with the original backup.

Anyway, here are a few screenies of a map I finished today called Wook.

boss.jpg

boss1.jpg

boss2.jpg

• 7 months later...

i have tried what arramus said and it works. I have also tried inserting other skins, which work as long as they are clone troopers/commandos. I am trying to figure out how to modify the gameplay so that i can play as Boss, even on servers without that modification. I haven't gotten very far, but i may be able to pull it off

• 2 months later...
duaryn you meanie...this thread has been unanswered for months now.

I'm sure duaryn has found a way to change the MP texture by editing the properties in the Unreal Editor under objects. I'm not going to even attempt to locate what he found as it's really not something I excel in.

Here's an easier way to make the Boss texture appear in MP.

Before you do anything please make a backup copy of your CloneTextures package located C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic Commando\GameData\Textures

As RC has overlooked the Boss skin and hardcoded the skins we can select I went about adding the Boss texture by simply renaming it to a file that the engine recognises. We're going to lose the green commando here but that skin's not the greatest anyway.

Open the editor > Go to textures > Select Clone Textures (sub heading) CloneTextures > Go to Texture CloneCommado38 > Right click and click Export to File... > Save as CloneCommando40.bmp

Please add the extension .bmp or you won't be able to save the file.

Let's bring the Boss file back in now. In the Textures area again go to File > Import > Select the saves CloneCommando40.bmp and OK > In the Import Texture window click OK. Scroll down to CloneCommando40 and the green skin will have been replaced with the Boss skin.

Exit the Unreal Editor and OK when the prompt appears to update the Clone Texture Package.

Now start Republic Commando and go to Multiplayer > Customize. Select the Ranger skin and the Boss skin will appear.

Host your own MP map and either kill yourself or ~ to open the console and type togglebehindview

You'll have to do some quick turns to see the skin in all of its glory or ask someone else to make the same edits so you can play together. Once you've made this change you won't be able to enter anybody elses server unless they have also made the same edits to their texture package. Republic Commando is running on a heavily stripped down version of the Unreal Engine and we've lost a lot of the functions and flexibility found in other Unreal based games.

When you're ready to restore the texture simply delete the edited CloneTexture package and replace it with the original backup.

is this just for pc

i have tried what arramus said and it works. I have also tried inserting other skins, which work as long as they are clone troopers/commandos. I am trying to figure out how to modify the gameplay so that i can play as Boss, even on servers without that modification. I haven't gotten very far, but i may be able to pull it off

are there any other new skins besides boss :rifle1::fire2:

I think you could have easily figured out this was about pc modding when reading some posts. I don´t think C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic Commando\GameData\Textures is a location on a console. So could you please read everything through next time before asking things or start spamming a thread. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived