Home

Help meeee!

Mike Windu

I've been off the internet/computer for 2-3 weeks, which explains my notable ;) absence from the swamp.

Here's my reason: my computer has been acting strange. When I turn it on it loads everything fine until it gets to the part when it loads Explorer. It says Explorer has performed an illegal operation and yada yada yada must be closed. After that I can't do anything but close the error window and look at my wallpaper.

Which isn't that bad.

WTF do I do?! I miss you guys, sadly... :( I miss wasting time on the damn computer. Argh :p

So somebody help!

I'm on Windows 98... and um... yeah... don't really know anything other than that...

You know, mine did/does something almost exactly like that. For mine, all of my icons and everything will show up as soon as there is some sort of activity on the desktop. So what I do is open up task manager and close it right after. Now, I'm on WinXP, and task manager (ctrl+alt+del) may be different on Win98, so I don't know if that will work for you.

Also, go into msconfig (start > run > msconfig.exe) and make sure that you don't have too many programs trying to start up at once. You should probably check your regular Startup Folder as well.

My computer finally stopped doing it ( or at least it hasn't done it in quite a while), but I didn't have to reformat. Go me! :D

Anyway, just try those things before reformatting, and see if it helps. :)

Your're making it sound as if its loading Explorer when you start up the computer, if that is the case, the go th run-> msconfig and turn that off. Or if it is just when you start explorer I would just suggest switching to another browser, I use Firefox. And if none of those work then just back up and format.

Reformat?!

*sobs quietly*

There has to be another way... >_> <_<

Maybe try those things that I said? Just see if that helps before reformatting. And I also recommend updating your OS. I was running 98 on a 5 year old system a bit ago and that thing was always doing something weird. I'm on a newer XP system now and it did the startup stall thing that yours seems to be doing. I tried several things to get it to work, but eventually it just worked itself out I guess. And I didn't have to reformat. :D

Well, I was gonna ask "Where the hell have you been!?" but, I guess this answers my question.

I was worried about you man, i've been wondering about you for the past 2 weeks. I thought something might have happend with your parents or something. Glad to see that wasn't the case. :)

Archived