Home

Possible Expansion Pack

Darth Andrew

Why would the Empire use inferior, unshielded, weakly-armoured TIE fighters against superior X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, and B-Wings?

Because TIEs are more cheap.

Besides, once the advanced fighters like the A-Wing came into play, the imperials upgraded their fighter fleet with TIE Defenders, etc.

Why would the Empire use lumbering walkers that can be easily tripped up/smashed to bits by Teddy bears with logs and stones?

AT-STs: Same reason as TIE Fighters.

AT-ATs: They didn't consider that speeders could trip those walkers. Heard about improvisation;)?

Why would the Empire equip their best soldiers (who were easily overwhelmed and beaten by said Teddy bears) with easy-to-notice white armour that doesn't even protect them against rocks and sticks, not to mention blasters?

Because the Empire is really arrogant.

And there's no movie evidence they were getting their butts handed to them.

As a side note, some US soldiers arriving in Iraq were given forest camo suits by mistake and had to go into the field with them. And in WW II, far from all infantry in snowy wastes wore white suits. Modern fighters are grey, even though the ground below them is either green or yellow, most of the time, or dark blue sea. And so on.

And who says armour doesn't protect against rocks and sticks? Hardly anyone I know. They were hit in the head by rocks and a few fell over from that, and that hardly equals being killed by them.

And who says armour can repel blaster bolts more than Kevlar vests can repel AK-47 shells?

C'mon, give me a challenge... Or don't, as we're getting far off of topic:p...

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Also, look at the fact that for every source stating them as shield gens there are two stating that they're radars/sensors (especially seeing that inaccurate, but neat video games like X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Rogue Squadron II and III don't count).

Well, I don't know about that, but the very first info about stardestroyers mentions them as sensory globes. This was back in 1978. It pretty much predates anything coming out after, except for the movies, which doesn't really prove or disprove them being either shield generators or sensory domes.

I believe the first notion that they were shield generators was mentioned in relations to a game, in order to make the star destroyers easier to defeat. If my memory serves me right, it was West End Games that first brought this idea on to the table, completelly overlooking previous sources. It's not the first time they have gone their own ways. :)

The Executors 5-mile (8 km) falacy comes to mind, which I believe they haven't corrected yet, even though more credible sources not too long ago like say StarWars.Com and the New Essential Guide series has updated it to around a more realistic 8 mile (12.8 km) lenght (though it still seems to be even larger according to the canon source).

EDIT: I checked just to be sure, and it wasn't West End Games fault after all. It was actually video games that introduced the whole shield globe idea in the late 80's. :)

Here's what ILM had to say about the scene with the A-Wing crashing into the Executors bridge back in -83:

We're also still working on the sequence where Mad Max crashes his A-wing into Vader's ship and causes the star destroyer to lose control and crash into the Deathstar. The penetration shot with the mushroom-cloud explosion we've had for some time, and we've got the shot where the ship's been hit and is starting to heel over. A very large explosion is coming out of the bridge area and it's causing several others to go as well; and one of the big radar domes up on top has been blown away, and that's spewing flames. It's pretty spectacular. Between that sort of closeup of the bridge section and the long-shot of the surface, we need two more cuts of the ship continuing to heel over and dropping towards the Deathstar like an arrow. We've shot a number of elements on those - explosions and things that have to be projected onto the miniatures - and so they're pretty much ready to go. Don Dow will be shooting those tomorrow.

CINEFEX #13, p.55, 3 February 1983

— Richard Edlund (who shared ILM's 1983 Academy Award for ROTJ special effects).

Besides, once the advanced fighters like the A-Wing came into play, the imperials upgraded their fighter fleet with TIE Defenders, etc.

Yeah, all 20 of them sure made a big difference.

Because the Empire is really arrogant.

Arrogant enough to place bridge shield generators outside of the starship?( The globes on top of the bridge tower most likely don't provide all the shielding for the entire ship, just the bridge area.)

As a side note, some US soldiers arriving in Iraq were given forest camo suits by mistake and had to go into the field with them.

That's called the government making a mistake. Also, the Emperor personally made sure to place his best legion on Endor, it was his own trap after all. Good thing he was not intelligent enough to order his soldiers to wear forest camo.

And who says armour can repel blaster bolts more than Kevlar vests can repel AK-47 shells?

R. Lee Ermey says so. He shot an AK-47 at an Interceptor Vest with the ceramic instert at 20 yards on the show Mail Call. The plate stopped the round cold.

Sorry about going so far off topic about this, everyone else.

We were discussing the x-pack and went off-topic to who would win, the rebels or old republic. Then we went off-topic to shield generators, then off-topic from that to discussing imperial strategy. Nah, I've seen worse:rolleyes:...

I think one neat addition would be some new maps, features, vehicles, and so on, and additions to the existing civilizations.

New civs? I'm guessing the Confederacy and the Republic, and/or the Remnants and the New Republic.

If there will be a Clone Wars expansion, I certainly hope that the Empire and Alliance can't fight the Republic and Separatists (at least in campaign mode). Think about it, they're from completely different time periods.

Hmm, what would be nice is if they made one game with three different time periods: Clone Wars, Galactic Civil War, and Post-Endor New Republic Era.

Dagobahn Eagle, what do you say we bury the lightsaber and quit this pointless bickering?

Getting back to the topic at hand, the easiest way to add the Republic and CIS would be to give them a different 'age' to fight in, so they dont interact with the Empire and Rebellion, but also allow a 'free-for-all' where anyone can fight anyone.

One fun thing with an expansion would also be, for example, using the Republic to fight the Empire during the events of the OT and so on.

Darth Windu's age Idea sounds good to me. If used, the game would probably be constructed like this:

For Sp Campaign, have the ability to choose which age you fight in.

In MP, as the host, you could choose from 3 options, fight in the Galactic Civil War Era, Clone War Era, Or as Darth Windu said, Free for all. This way if you were the host you could force people to play in one era or just mix and match.

All those vehicles and technology was not enough to stop a band of Rebels and some fuzzy little bears from destroying the Empire. Technology is nothing when you compare how huge the Empire was with technology and it got beaten by a few rusty looking fighters.

I'd rather have a whole new RTS with the PT civs instead of sharing the spotlight with OT like SWGB. In MP not much point in making a Clone era or a CW era just put Clone era civs only in your game title :p

The reason why Windu's ideas sound good ie because he pinched the ones I came up with ages ago and is now using them in the hopes that I've fprgotten all about them.

both the EU and the Films say that the Dones on the Brdige tower are Sheild Generators ergo they are sheild generators don't listen to Sound Directors or whoever that quote is from they are obviously raving mad.

The Guru of Star wars Truism has spoken so shut your yapping holes about the sheild generators.

and PT V OT there's a little thing called Balance and Gameplay that makes that possible. Indeed a lot of the OT ships have weaknesses that wern't in the PT, the mian reasons were that is because the Psychological element was dragged in.

Don't tell me someone is going to Debate a Tri-Droid Fighter would get beaten by a TIE Fighter or a Geonosian Fighter by a TIE Interceeptor?

Now that were back on track I'd sa that Windu's idea was the best right now.

Getting back to the topic at hand, the easiest way to add the Republic and CIS would be to give them a different 'age' to fight in, so they dont interact with the Empire and Rebellion, but also allow a 'free-for-all' where anyone can fight anyone.

Witch isnt a bad idea at all.

It worked very well in Empires.

You could even transition from the "old times" to World War I in the same game.

For example, if you played Korea (which was not in WW I or WW II), when approaching WW I you'd get a dialogue box asking you which civilization you want to keep playing as. You effectively turned into that civ, while retaining your army and buildings. But from that point on, you had a new tech tree and new buildings and units to produce.

It was certainly a huge step forward from that old Civ-series/Empire Earth nonsense where, if you start as the Aztecs in the stone age, you'll still play with them in the modern ages...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Darth Windu

...the easiest way to add the Republic and CIS would be to give them a different 'age' to fight in, so they dont interact with the Empire and Rebellion, but also allow a 'free-for-all' where anyone can fight anyone.

YES YES YES!!! That's what I meant when I started the topic! Also too, maybe if you beat all four of the capmaigns on the hardest difficuty, you could unlock an 'Alternate Reality' bonus campaign where you would choose your side and the computer would also choose a random side. How about Empire vs. Empire, eh?;) This would be great for those that couldn't play online, as after a while Skirmish would get boring.

Originally posted by DK_Viceroy

The reason why Windu's ideas sound good ie because he pinched the ones I came up with ages ago and is now using them in the hopes that I've fprgotten all about them.

both the EU and the Films say that the Dones on the Brdige tower are Sheild Generators ergo they are sheild generators don't listen to Sound Directors or whoever that quote is from they are obviously raving mad.

The Guru of Star wars Truism has spoken so shut your yapping holes about the sheild generators.

and PT V OT there's a little thing called Balance and Gameplay that makes that possible. Indeed a lot of the OT ships have weaknesses that wern't in the PT, the mian reasons were that is because the Psychological element was dragged in.

Don't tell me someone is going to Debate a Tri-Droid Fighter would get beaten by a TIE Fighter or a Geonosian Fighter by a TIE Interceeptor?

Well, actually it would seem the TIE Interceptor is quite a capable ship. It's very fast, very maneuverable, and has decent weapons. It could beat a Geonosian fighter quite easily.

luke - I don't see how, after all you're not really re-balancing the original two against the new two as you are balancing the new two against the old two. Also, with the Empire having at least one Republic unit (Assault Ship) it would actually seem to be fairly easy because there is a common frame of reference - ie the Assault Ship for the Empire and Republic is the same, so you develop the strengths of all other CW units based on their relative strength to the RAS.

OFF TOPIC

I have always thought the bridge towers were shield generators simply because as soon as one of them explodes, one of the bridge crew calls out "we've lost our bridge deflector shields". I suppose you could argue that they only found when things started exploding, but that doesnt really say much for Imperial sensor systems now does it?

I wouldn't say that though the TIE Interceptorhas no sheilds the Geonosian Fighter does, both have about equal manoevarability before you mention the sheilds they're evenly matched but when you bring in sheilds the TIE looses unless of course you want to debate X-Wing>TIE Interceptor.

• 4 weeks later...

If LucasArts were to do a Republic/Confederacy expansion (which I think would be amazing), they would probably do something similar to Battlefront: the CIS would be isolated to fighting the Republic, and the Empire would be isolated to fighting the Rebellion.

Also, they should do an expansion based on the New Jedi Order series. It probably won't happen (license problems, plus Lucas hates it), but it would still be awesome.

Also, do we know if the game is completely isolated to before Episode IV? Because that would alienate things like the Mon Calamari cruisers, B-Wings, Super Star Destroyers, Dark Troopers, and all sorts of cool toys that really need to be in the game.

Archived