Home

Custom Generals

No thanks. Didn't like the way it worked in Command&Conquer Generals.

For the people who haven't tried Generals: Zero Hour, the "general system" lets you choose several generals to lead your army, each of which changes your tech tree.

So for example, you can choose to play as "USA - Air Power General" instead of the "default USA", thereby removing tanks from your tech tree, but reducing the cost of your fighters, enabling some unique units, and giving your air units some unique abilities.

I'd like to add that it was horribly unbalanced in Zero Hour... The US Superweapons general wiped out everything on the map...

You obviuosly didn 't know how to play the game then

I do so know how to play the game:mad:! I even figured out that the big US Helicopter can harvest resources! Yay, no more getting tributes from my allies anymore! ;)

the Demolitions General easily wipes her out.

Even so, it's way too powerful. If the GLA (?) Demolitions general can take her out and the other generals can't, that still means he's over-powered.

But let's get back on topic. I shouldn't have brought in Generals' balance issues anyhow:o...

Actually I think it's a great idea. Having created my own version of a sequel to SWGB I had about 4 'Commanders' per side which were unique, but not to the point of C&CGZH where units get deleted and whatnot. With just two sides though, this would be an easy and effective way to add variety.

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

I even figured out that the big US Helicopter can harvest resources! Yay, no more getting tributes from my allies anymore!

... I'll just hope you weren't being serious.

Even so, it's way too powerful. If the GLA (?) Demolitions general can take her out and the other generals can't, that still means he's over-powered.

She can't use her superweapons without power. Drop some bombs on her power generators, and give yourself more time.

As for the topic: I don't think they're going to do that, if only because they don't want to rip EALA off. Besides, I really don't see that happening in Star Wars.

Well if there was a general system, I'd rather have a system more like Rome: Total war. Not all that complicated, but it gives a few bonuses to your troops depending on how much that general has actually fought and won battles. But I also don't see that really being much of a possibility in this game.

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't want to the generals to have such a huge impact that they affect the way the game is played. A few bonuses would be nice due to some sort of 'prestige bonus' added by having a general. For example, if Veers is somewhere nearby, the infantry gains a +2 range bonus. Or in the case of a custom general, you assign your general a bonus that best fits your style of play.

Actually Nitro might be onto a good idea here.

Rather than having generals like in C&C:GZH, how about a KotOR-style system where when you begin the game you create a unique general? In this way, you could create what the General's name and looks would be (or not, doesnt matter) but more importantly you could have a set number of points which you divided between things like constuction time, constuction cost, armour, weapons power and how good you are at each of the three (air, space, ground) different combat types.

Thoughts?

IGN

Tosti couldn't put a specific number on how many units we'll see between the two factions, but he estimated that about 30% of them will be completely new additions to the Star Wars universe. He also stated that veterancy (unit skills improving based on experience) isn't set in stone yet, although you'll have hero characters who give advantages to whatever group they're attached to. And that goes for space combat as well--put Darth Vader in a Star Destroyer, and that particular vessel will dish out and take more damage.

Archived