Home

Coruscant

AKPiggott

Just wondering, how are you guys handling this level?

Obviously since the game originally came out, we've seen what Coruscant looks like in the prequels. Are you going to model the architecture and stlye after the movies, or are you going to remain faithful to the game? Or perhaps you will mesh the two styles together?

I think one should take what you saw in AOTC (lower-levels, chase, sportsbar) and then take the DF feel to it, cause those kinda looks the same with neon signs and so forth (if I remember correctly)...

The grandious style of Coruscant seen in the movies can be achieved by a very good skybox art coupled with a skyportal to add depth.

My feeling is that since the republic turned into the Empire, Coruscant would have changed quite abit into a much more foreboding, colorless place, with much more clear cut buidings and stuff.

While the actual color theme and skematics is already decided by whats in DF, and we wont steer away from that, I think Taris from KOTOR is quite a good example of how DF Coruscant could be tackled, with much of the "ground" consisting of large platforms in between builidings, and the rest is sky.

It has to be clinical, yet totally decadent, with scarlet, gold, violet and emerald. Fountains, Gardens, the game is set at the height of the empire, it should be filled with statues and effiges of the Emperor, Vader, and the empire while at the same time being minimalistic and clinical. IF thats possible id love to see it. There is an area where you come out of a lift, go through a corridor and emerge into a HUGE area with about 60-80 stormtroopers and a dark trooper phase 1. That should have a focal point in the centre, like a statue of the Emperor sitting in water, sorta like the foundains of rome. Imagine rome, or Red Square in Moscow, except with TIES. :D

And yes, michael_collins lives.

We have to see end of EP3 first :D

And then add some imagination.

Many ideas also can come from the sequelled novels, e.g. Zahn or X-Wing series... They often speak of Coruscant with the miles and miles deep reaching floors and giant skyskrapers...

I really liked the style of Coruscant in DF, that black and silver stone. Very fortress-like, and nothing like the Coruscant we see in the movies, perhaps you could keep the architecture/texture style of the fortress itself intact, and add a skybox like the movies?

The look of the original DF level makes sense for the building Kyle's in, but the level makes a point of not showing anything outside of it. It's really in the backgrounds that we can benfit from what we saw of Coruscant in the prequels, adjusted for the passage of time, a new regime, and all that. In any case, based on what I've seen from this team, I'm sure it'll be quite clever and spectacular, and surprisingly better than what I've described here or what I'm expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

While it was in Coruscant city, the installation Kyle was infiltrating was the imperial intelligence operations center. It's a military installation, so the style will be a bit different from other areas of the city.

Certainly the level design is a bit plain by today's standards given the limitations of technology in 95, but the general feeling of the map seems about right. I don't think it would be well served by trying to imitate the feeling of Ep I and II coruscant.

It has to be clinical, yet totally decadent, with scarlet, gold, violet and emerald. Fountains, Gardens, the game is set at the height of the empire, it should be filled with statues and effiges of the Emperor, Vader, and the empire while at the same time being minimalistic and clinical.

I think thats a very good description of what DF Coruscant could be like "Clinical, minimal, yet decadent" = evil :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived