Home

Nintendo Revolution Controller...WTF

Neverhoodian

it is as i had feared... they are lost to the dark side... :D

This is typical nintendo. Its also their greatest strength and their greatest weakness at once.

They are willing to make these risky innovations, but they are so hard headed about it that they INSIST on forcing all their developers to work that way, rather than listening to them.

Which is why they have a current controller that is PERFECT for all nintendo and miyamoto games, but not so good for third party games (rubbish d-pad for fighting games, useless Z button).

A touch screen interface will be GREAT for some games (rpgs, tactical games, puzzles, etc..) and i'm sure nintendo and miyamoto have excellent ideas on how to use them in THEIR games.

But i can't see it working in any action/reaction based games. Touchscreens just aren't accurate enough or responsive enough for action games (it'll be like tryin to use windows with one of those useless laptop touchpads). Plus you loose the tactile feedback that comes from FEELING a button press under your finger.

Not to mention that it will make porting games a nightmare, so yet again games will come out on PS3 and XBOX2 and miss out the nintendo platform.

Finally there is the issue of ergonomics... all the recent controllers have been moving more and more towards controllers that really fit in your hands, and have buttons where your fingers go. If all there is is a touchpad then it all ends up flat... and anyone who has ever tried using a keyboard on your lap knows that a flat surface just doesn't work that well without something to rest it on.

We'll all have to have desks and wrist-pads to use our Revolutions. Oh joy.

---------

I can see some great games coming out of nintendo that use the touchpad:

- RTS where you control units from overhead tactical map.

- Metroid Hunters style fps control (though how you will handle firing and jumping is another matter)

- RPGs where you cast spells by writing them into a book by hand, or making symbols on the touchpad.

But if they make it touchpad only they are going to end up with their THIRD console in a row that has a small number of great first party titles, but a total lack of third party games and depth.

PS/ Can a touchpad cope with more than one input at once? Eg aiming, moving, jumping and firing at the same time?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by toms

But if they make it touchpad only they are going to end up with their THIRD console in a row that has a small number of great first party titles, but a total lack of third party games and depth.

Goldeneye > everything

Goldeneye was developed by Rare.

Besides, uhmmm Nintendo never verified this did they? I thought I read on IGN That they were not going to use touchpads, or something... Their are several rumors about this though...

Also, Nintendo stated they will release a development package for developers so they can port games over really easy.

But I can see myself getting confused, right now I know where all the buttons are on my GCN controller, and I know once I have pushed them, and which one I have pushed. With a touch screen how will I know if I pushed the right one? Will the "touch pads" be side by side, or spread out around the controller?

I knew that.. meh, I missphrased it.

I was thinking... 1 controller with multiple "touchable" areas.. but IDK.

I know Nintendo thinks this will make it easier for people who never play games. I remember reading that people think the current controlers are to complex for people who have never played before.

To be honest if I were Nintendo I would work on getting a lot of the people who do play video games back never mind people who don't play.

Most likley people who don't play, don't play because they don't want to, not because of the complexity of the game/controller. This will change nothing.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/599/599399p1.html

Originally posted by XERXES

20 years from now we can all be like "Man, I remember back in the day when we actually used buttons to play our video games."

True... but i don't see that being because of touchscreens (or at least not touchscreens alone). eye-toy and other moting sensing technologies are getting better... in twenty years I would think we will have something more three-dimensional than touchscreens...

"This game is for babies"

But nintendo already has a (undeserved?) reputation for making games for babies. :D

Goldeneye was developed by Rare.

That was back when Rare, Factor Five, Silicon Knights etc... where all signed up as "super" nintendo partners who made nintendo exclusive games, worked closely with nintendo on develoment and got advanced hardware. All of them have since broken their ties with nintendo and moved to other platforms... hmmm... maybe they'll get the message eventually.

To be honest if I were Nintendo I would work on getting a lot of the people who do play video games back never mind people who don't play.

Exactly. The number of gamers has gone up dramatically since nintendo was top dog. It has moved from a nich habit to a mainstream one. People of all ages play games. Even pensioners have started playing them. Odd that this massive growth coincided with games getting "more complicated".

I have no problem with making simple "newbie friendly games" (Lumies on the PSP being a great example :D ) but nintendo always insist on focusing on their current "pet ideology" at the expense of all others. Why not make both newbie friendly games AND advanced ones? Why not do GBA connectivity AND online play? Why not have a touch screen AND analogue sticks? Grrr....

I don't like sony, and i'm not keen on microsoft... but in the next generation i'd like the chace to play a few rpgs, a few tactical rpgs (disgea?), and a few more varied games (rez, lumines?)... and nintendo just isn't providing the variation and depth on their platforms at the moment...

Touchpad screens - I can think of many cons and only a couple of pros..

Pros

-easier to produce ?

-"mappable" making config completely customisable... especially good news for left handed gamrrs ??

cons

-button mashing is part of gaming, whether you are doing something quickly, or repeatedly, this takes the fun out of it IMO

-responsiveness ? I have a pda and a laptop with touchpad, doing certain things on it is a damn pain. It will have to be somwehat ergonomic, because a flat pad will hurt your damn fingers after a while.. The natural anatomical resting position of the hands and fingers is a curved (imagine you are holding a can of coke)

overall, the idea is craptacular, unless they come up with something amazing ??? I doubts it. I wonder if the ps3 is gonna have the backwatd compatible similar controllers. That was a great idea because I busted a controller last week playing a hack n slash game :) Dug out my ole ps1 controller...perfect :)

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Lynk Former

Where was all this nonsense pulled from? Nintendo has said clearerly that the Revolution controller will NOT feature a touch screen. THe people who are saying that there is a touch screen are the people out on the Internet speculating their asses off.

I can only hope so, it sounded too stupid to be true :p

mtfbwya

With nintendo you never know! Usually I would asume that this was another of those "hypothetical" stories that tend to appear on the web, but nintendo has a history of don't this kind of thing. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.

On a tangent, what WOULD people like to see from a next generation nintendo controler?

I could see somthing like this:

(a) Similar in size/shape to the existing gamecube controller

(b) Wireless

© Touchscreen replacing right hand bottom stick (for fps aiming control)

(d) decent d-pad. Maybe a cross between ps2 d-pad and the c-buttons from the n64.

(e) Analogue stick top left.

(f) fact buttons like Gamecube, but with two start/back buttons like xbox

(g) Analogue clickable triggers like gamecube, but with better digital Z-triggers above them.

Thats what I thought, no touch screens. Thats a good thing. Ive heard there may not be controllers. Whatever it is, its supposed to make gaming less complicated (which is good and bad)

Good:

Makes it easier to play.

People who aren't that good can play better.

Bad:

Lack of skill.

Games will be beaten faster than they already are.

I mean, come on, I can go to Walmart, buy a game and beat in a day or two, or even a few hours.

Archived