Home

Grask's Thoughts on the CU

Jackrabbit

My first thought upon logging onto TC5 are "What the hell is this..." On the new UI everything is big and colorful, and I feel like I'm playing Warcraft/a cartoon. But, I like to test things fully and give everything a chance before I jump to conclussions...

The UI is big and kind of silly looking, but it's nice once you get used to it. All your buffs show up under your name, and all the special abilities have awesome icons. The only thing I don't like is that the group window is like 5 pages long for 4 people, because of the buff UI thing. Also if a name is more than 2 lines long (like you have your profession under your name), it doesn't show up right and cuts some words in half. Names of things are in a new big, bold font, which is kind of weird, and they've got color coded icons next to them representing an enemies strength. Weird, but I can get used to it.

One of my first problems was with attacking. At first glance, it appears you have to hit either "Ranged Shot" or "Melee Hit" everytime you want to attack. These are the two basic attacks for Ranged and Melee. After I read a little bit of the FAQ, though (which is listed on the official forums), I found that if you ctrl + click an attack, it will keep repeating it, so you can set up an auto attack.

Some creatures don't fight back, which is...I don't know, realistic? Also the XP seems crappy, but at the same time it looks like I'm gaining it at a normal rate.

I like how damage works, because it's more simple. If you go into the combat window it looks something like this...

a lesser desert womp rat attacks Grask with Attack using a an unknown weapon and hits for 61 points (61 points kinetic damage). 61 possible points damage.

Grask attacks a lesser womp rat with Melee Hit using a an unknown weapon and hits for 24 points (24 kinetic damage). 24 possible points damage.

As you can see there's some trouble with names of attacks and weapons and stuff, but...whatever.

You heal at a fast speed, which makes downtime very short if you don't have Medic/Meditate or whatever.

Macros are a problem I think, because of this - in the skills page, they don't give you the /command for an ability, so I don't know what to type if I want to make a new macro. Not sure how this will work in the future, but just giving a heads up.

All the skill trees are different. Skills are in the same place, but when you get abilities is different. For instance, you get Pistol Whip at Pistols 1 :).

So, my general impression after 10 min is this - goofy at first, I feel a little dirty, but after playing some I'm getting used to it, and I think after I get past the "I like my old SWG", I'll enjoy it. People complain about not being able to kill things on the forums, but they're crazy. I'm killing red cons solo no problem.

Uh...I'll post more as time goes on.

All the newb gun ranges are 0-35. Not sure if this is because they're CDEFs, or because of my level or what.

Also, they added a DPS stat to weapons, making things much easier to figure out.

Oh, and holding a gun makes you move a little slower.

Damn, I'm really busy today so I can't look up all the things I want to. I can say this though...

Corzip, the Pistoleer tree is Awesome. We can recover from Blind, Stun and...something else instantly if we have the ability points, we have intimidate shot, improved shots of the attacks we have in the current system, ...all kinds of stuff, I'll tell you about it later. Really gotta go now :).

what he said..

ill download and take a look at this..if i dont like it, im gone..NO return this time..i sell my stuff..sell my credits to someone,close my account, uninstall SWG...this is their last strike for me..so they best do good...

My name is Zeto on TC5. I think if they work out all the bugs (like the non attacking, non killable things, and more) and make it so the exp for noobs isnt so small, it would be awesome. And I have faith in them fixing those things. Thats what beta is for. I love how they relocated everything, and added a ton of new abilitys. Its gonna be alot more fun. Now if they just let my play my jedi on t here....

Archived