Home

Pope John Paul II

Kjølen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I would say, perhaps they should have a local channel change to the Pope's death, and perhaps a small announcement on the other channels, telling them to change to the other channel.... No... that wouldn't work, every channel WANTED to get the coverage. It's not the Pope's fault that the channels decided that the Pope's death was more important than Shrek. I'm not even saying you have to think that it IS. But you can't blame the Pope for that.

Originally posted by RayJones

Also i'm not sure what's more worth crying about: the death of one old man or those little children in third world countries. Religions are so self centered sometimes.

The children in the third world countries that die are indeed sad, but one of the reasons they die is because no one knows them. I'm not saying they are any better or worse than the Pope, but the Pope touched millions of lives, so we'll say that he had millions of friends. Pope John Paul II didn't ask for almost every channel to mourn for him after he died. He didn't ask for all the people to mourn his death, so you can't blame him. All the thousands upon thousands of people who loved him chose individually to mourn his death, and also be happy that he is somewhere better.

Originally posted by Kjølen

...one of the reasons they die is because no one knows them...

Really? This whole time I was blaming mortality!

Okay, I'm being a smartass...but, though it's probably because I'm not Catholic, I care a lot more about the children in third world countries. And if the pope you're mourning over really was a good pope, then he probably would want me to.

It's kind of like McCoy said....you won't really feel sorry for the one who died but for everybody who lost him. I know this Pope was an icon and role model for a lot of people, so I recognize the fact it was turned into a thread. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But I just don't wholly agree with the celebrity system, and the networks are overplaying stuff, some, if not all, for ratings. And I don't like that. It's using people's emotions.

Though McCoy and Alien has to cool it. It is being judgmental and discriminatory in a way. A lot people feel bad he died, okay? That's it. And those people aren't to blame for programs being interrupted. As for the whole birth control thing, you guys are just debating about Catholicism in general, and not about the pope.

I, personally, couldn't care less. But I don't think anybody should judge me on that matter. Just like they have a right to care, I have a right to not. A family member of mine is very close to death, and that's way more important to me than some religious celebrity.

Well, what people need to realize is that the Catholic Church is not like your regular political party or government. If you chose to follow them, they are not a democracy. Contraceptives are banned from the Church, because... *sighs at having to explain the sex thing again*... the Church believes that sex is a beautiful bond between men and women, etc and etc, and it is the whole-hearted giving of oneself to the other. Using Condoms and such is not full-heartedly giving of yourself to others. It's like saying "I want you... except this one part of you, I do no accept." That is the Churches teachings at least.

Using Condoms and such is not full-heartedly giving of yourself to others. It's like saying "I want you... except this one part of you, I do no accept."

C'mon dude, putting aside the aspect that there might be people who like it with a touch-o-gum, you know that is still crap. Firstly it has nothing to do with acceptance, so it wouldn't be more than "I want you... except this one part of you - PERIOD" and second: where are the males at? So in that case it must be "I want you... but you won't get everything."

In the end it's like not sharing farts.

Originally posted by Gabez

I'm curious... what does the Catholic Church have to say about masturbation?

...I'm quite sure they think it's a sin... For whatever reason...

...I once heard someone (a preacherguy standing in front of a shop) saying that you kill the sperms needlessly, though it could have become life... Well, that's pretty flawed, that would mean every woman on this planet kills every month... Moreover, the sperm in the scrotum are constantly disintegrated and built anew so that there won't be any flaws in the DNA (as oposed to the women's ovums, therefore the chance of the baby having any birth defects (like down syndrom) increases with the woman's age)... When I pointed that logical errors out, he said I'm blinded by satans lies and possesed by demons and thus can't see the truth... I laughed at him and walked away...

Well, what people need to realize is that the Catholic Church is not like your regular political party or government. If you chose to follow them, they are not a democracy. Contraceptives are banned from the Church, because... *sighs at having to explain the sex thing again*... the Church believes that sex is a beautiful bond between men and women, etc and etc, and it is the whole-hearted giving of oneself to the other. Using Condoms and such is not full-heartedly giving of yourself to others. It's like saying "I want you... except this one part of you, I do no accept." That is the Churches teachings at least.

An act of sex can't be a beautiful bond unless there are no contraceptives? The Catholic Church needs to get a grip. No I think the real issue is the whole "Jesus says no tab A in slot B unless we're procreating!" Of course, I don't think Jesus ever said that, but whatever.

I just think it's kind of overblown, the whole Pope thing.

Originally posted by Joshi

"Sounds awfully like a dictatorship to me."

Being that you have a choice whether or not you want to be a part of that faith it doesn't seem to be a dictatorshisp. It is like marrige. If you get married you should probably not cheat on your wife. That is the bond you share. Religious or not. If you join the Catholic faith then it is sorta like a marrige. You have a bond with the Church now and you have to follow those rules. If you don't like it leave. If you hate your wife get divorced.

As for the Pope. He is dead. Most of the mourning has passed. I don't know what happened in your countries/states, but here we had the flag at half mast. They do that for important people.

Originally posted by Guybrush122

An act of sex can't be a beautiful bond unless there are no contraceptives? The Catholic Church needs to get a grip. No I think the real issue is the whole "Jesus says no tab A in slot B unless we're procreating!" Of course, I don't think Jesus ever said that, but whatever.

Well, I was taught (by my Church) that sex is fine just for bonding between married couples. Sorta like a beautiful act, with the openness of maybe having children. Besides, there is still natural family planning. :p

Originally posted by VikingLarz

Being that you have a choice whether or not you want to be a part of that faith it doesn't seem to be a dictatorshisp. It is like marrige. If you get married you should probably not cheat on your wife. That is the bond you share. Religious or not. If you join the Catholic faith then it is sorta like a marrige. You have a bond with the Church now and you have to follow those rules. If you don't like it leave. If you hate your wife get divorced.

Get a divorce? Not if your Catholic.

but seriously, it was just a Star Wars quote, no real significance. I thought most people got it.

OK, the pope is dead and that's that. How do I feel? Just as sorry as I would feel as if another human being died of old age. We are ALL going to die one day. I don't think he was special. I don't have anything against him and I certainly don't wish anyone's death, although I do disagree with some of his beliefs. Teaching people that using condoms or birth control is wrong, in a time of STDs, HIV and overpopulation is just plain ignorant. Besides, where in the Bible does it say that family planning is a sin?:rolleyes: I find some Catholic teachings inconsistent with the Bible. (Which shouldn't surprise anyone as the Bible is sometimes inconsistent with itself.)

Originally posted by DrMcCoy

When I pointed that logical errors out, he said I'm blinded by satans lies and possesed by demons and thus can't see the truth... I laughed at him and walked away...

I hate it when Christians (or any other people, religious or not) are so close-minded that they think their subjective moral views are ABSOLUTE TRUTHS and must be forced on others, sometimes even by law.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Emin3m 2

Teaching people that using condoms or birth control is wrong, in a time of STDs, HIV and overpopulation is just plain ignorant. Besides, where in the Bible does it say that family planning is a sin?

You misunderstood me, sir. I said there is still always natural family planning as opposed to condoms. I was being somewhat sarcastic, while truthful, considering the Catholic Church encourages it. :p

As for the teachings. He's teaching. He had the right to teach his followers whatever they are willing to follow. Any even if they DO try to convince world leaders to chance their views, no matter how shallow that seems, you'd have to understand the beliefs. Catholic Church belief in something so wonderful, and something so horrible. AKA Heaven and Hell. We just don't want people to go to Hell. Now, I know people don't like beliefs forced on them, but I just want people to realize it is done out of good will, rather than want for control over people.

Now before you all get the wrong idea, I'm not forcing anything on you, I'm just trying to explain the Catholic Church from my point of view.

Archived