Home

Heaps O' New Books !! (spoiler tags plz)

Astrotoy7

After a bit of a slow stream of releases until now, its seems LucasBooks is ready to flood the stores with SW books to coinicide with the movies release...

Summaries at Random House's Star Wars Main Page

Some ROTS related ones :

ROTS Visual Dictionary Interestingly enough, it is written by James Luceno - click for TFNs review

*The Art of ROTS

*The Making of ROTS

(nb. The final chapter of this book is available for download from the Random House site linkied above :)

*Illustrated Screenplay

*Illustrated Movie Storybook

Other Titles :

The Last of the Jedi Part I - The Desperate Mission A book for Obi Wan fans, deals with him after events of ROTS and his self exile to Tatooine - Click for TFNs review

Secrets of the Jedi Even more Obi Wan stuff - Clicky for TFNs review

So much reading to do, so little money and time :p

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

Zahn is also working on a novel set somewhere between ANH and TESB, which should be interesting. He said it'll be fun since Luke won't be a Jedi, though hopefully not whiny either (his words, not mine), Han and Leia bickering, and lots of Mara Jade. Yes! The working title, and one Zahn says he'll fight for is Allegiance.

The Legacy of the Force saga looks promising. I just hope they don't try to make then-twelve-year-old Ben the star. I'd burn the books. Jacen is the man; let him take up the torch a bit.

Interesting other additions to the great works: the rise of Darth Bane should prove exciting to read, and his story, if well-written, could prove a dominant force in shaping the future of EU publishing, as it could open a whole line of "Sith Lords" novels if it does well. The Ep. III "trilogy" of Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (or something like that) should also prove interesting to sit down and read all the way through.

I'm just glad that the Clone Wars are finally done; those books proved... umm... less than I expected. Not as individual books, per se (though Jedi Trial was certainly a let-down), but as a series. I had no feel for the progression of the war. Hopefully other series are more coherent.

hey ! It's Keralys !! Nice to see ya back man !! :D

Im just finishing Labyrinthe of Evil. Im really enjoying it, especially for the background it gives on Grievous. One strange thing tho, it has *alot* of overlap with the last 3 eps of the clone wars series(season 2)......

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Other Titles :

The Last of the Jedi Part I - The Desperate Mission A book for Obi Wan fans, deals with him after events of ROTS and his self exile to Tatooine - Click for TFNs review

i like the sounds of that one, although i have to say that the front cover sucks.

it will be cool to find out what obi-wan gets up to during his exile. 'cause before you pictured him sitting in a hutt for 20 years going grey.

Ep III spoiler...

i like the idea that obi-wan gets the reputation of being crazy because he walks round talking to himself :D (of course we know he's really talking to Qui-gon)

hey ! It's Keralys !! Nice to see ya back man !!
It's good to be back. Life is at a place at last where I can venture here a bit again.

I liked Labyrinth of Evil. And I read it before the last set of Clone Wars came out, so they really annoyed me. I wish the cartoon people would have coordinated with Luceno a bit, since Luceno really had the inside knowledge with what Lucas wanted. Interestingly, the scenarios are fairly similar. But I like Luceno's development much better than that of the cartoon, and I'm sure his will be the official one that sticks.

Ep. III spoiler:

Yeah, seeing Obi-Wan really try to say true as a Jedi while staying out of Vader's knowledge should be pretty interesting. I wonder if Vader-kin will know that Obi-Wan is still alive... from what we see in Ep. IV, it doesn't seem as though.

Zahn is not only releasing Outbound Flight but also a novel that occurs straight after 'A New Hope'. Tentatively called Allegiance it will have all of the original char and also features Mara Jade as the Emperor's Hand.

Read about it here

I wonder if it will feature 'that bounty hunter' on ord mantell .. or even DASH RENDAr..

Ahem... I'd refer to my second-to-last post on this thread... :rolleyes::p

Anyways. While it might include Dash Rendar, it would likely be in a cameo if anything, as he's not involved in any way with the Rebellion until the time of his being hired in the events of Shadows of the Empire. So the probability of his being in it is rather slim.

The probability of the bounty hunter being in it is even lower. IIRC, that's already been covered, I believe in comic book form, though someone could prove me wrong quite easily. In fact, that "bounty hunter on Ord Mantell" may have been Boba Fett. But again, don't quote me on that.

In any case, we won't be seeing that episode at all. Said event with bounty hunter takes place quite closely before TESB, within a few months previous to it. As Zahn has indicated that Allegiance will occur within the first year after ANH, the two obviously don't overlap. Lots of Mara Jade, though, will be cool, particularly with her at the "height of her power as Emperor's Hand."

Originally posted by Sivy

i like the sounds of that one, although i have to say that the front cover sucks.

it will be cool to find out what obi-wan gets up to during his exile. 'cause before you pictured him sitting in a hutt for 20 years going grey.

Ep III spoiler...

i like the idea that obi-wan gets the reputation of being crazy because he walks round talking to himself :D (of course we know he's really talking to Qui-gon)

i read it in about 2 hours, one night. it was a good read, stimulated a need for some star wars in my life. it didn't turn out the way i expected but it was really good indeed. i would recommend it if you want to know more about Obi-wan after EPIII.

c'mon, am I the only crazy person that knows that the Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell was Bossk .... ??? But, if EU would like to contradict itself again, thats fine by me :D

If Zahn mentions evil clones with double vowels in their names, military geniuses or outbound flight in Allegiance, I will put a price on his head :p

btw, Sivy

... pictured him sitting in a huttfor 20 years going grey...

hutt ?? ah, if only I had photoshop to pounce on that spelling error with the funneh.... :D

mtfbwya

Yeah, yeah. It's been a long time since I researched that era. Leave me alone. :rolleyes: Really, it's just double proof of my point. I couldn't remember; it was a long day that day. So be quiet over there, Modman Astro. *growls menacingly*

Nice imagery there, Siv. I had this picture of Ewan McGregor slowly morphing into Alec Guinness inside a Hutt's belly. "Slowly digested over a thousand years" - or, I guess just 20 in that case. Explains why he ages so badly when Sue Rostoni has said that the 60's are the new 40's for SW characters, I gues... :p

Plot summary for Allegiance:

Twoo cloones.

No Thrawn, just Thraawn, Thrawn's Uncle Joey, and Emperor Palpatine is really a Chiss with some plastic surgery.

Darth Vader now has a crush on Mara Jade. He got tired of brunettes; redheads are more fiesty. Too bad that suit is in the way, and that he's all mechanical and half-dead now anyway... but it foreshadows the future Skywalker romance in a twisted Zahnish way, I suppose.

Outbound Flight's ruins suddenly explode in a vision in Palpy's head and Luke's head at the same time, and are promptly forgotten, except by the somehow overhearing Grand Admiral Zaarin, who tells it to Vader, who immediately chokes a lackey for smirking at MJ's pretty rear, then tells the Emperor, who sends Thraawn out to the Unknown regions not to map as we've all thought, but really to find the remains of the wreckage that his clone template was used for. The "Thrawn" that shows up in the video game Tie Fighter is really his Uncle Joey wearing that silly white suit.

Luke has a bigtime crush on Leia, and kisses her six times. She starts to get this weird feeling like she's kissing her uncle, and she is because somehow by a twist of the Force Luke is also Padme's brother. Haven't figured out how Zahn will pull that one off yet.

Bossk and Boba Fett duel each other twelve times over the honor of turning Han into Jabba, Fett winning each time and killing Bossk each time. But Bossk has Boossk and Booossk and Booossskkk, etc. So it never really works out, and Fett quits.

In the end, no plot is resolved until someone - probably Pellaeon - magically shows up and explains everything to everyone, who all say "Oh, I get it now, it was just a crazy plan by Thrawn to rule the universe without anyone including himself knowing it."

:eek::D

Just kidding, we love you Zahn, but sometimes it's fun to poke fun at his stuff... :p

Archived