Home

Weapons are balanced, stop whining!

Shok_Tinoktin

This thread is kind of pointless, because most of the people it's addressed to won't ever see it, but it makes me feel better or something. Basically every weapon is complained about, and said to be overpowered, so I'm going to spell out where the balance is on the weapons.

Trando Repeater: The most important thing about fighting this gun, is to remember that they have greatly reduced speed. The easiest way, imo, to beat it is to throw a grenade. Their reduced speed makes it very difficult for them to get out of the blast radius. EC dets work especially well, because they have the largest blast radius. A well placed TD will also do the trick, as will a sonic det followed by a few shots. The secret is to take the person down quickly. Sneeking up with the shotgun (aka Ray's gun) works, as do snipers, rockets, conc rifles, AA attachment, etc. The other important thing about this weapons balance (which is destroyed on servers that automatically respawn weapons) is its location. There is never more then one of these, and it is usuall right in the middle. You often have to defeat others to get to it, so you earn the right to use it.

Rocket Launcher: This is a surprisingly difficult weapon to use effectively. Someone who can consistently get locks deserve the kill. The way to not get locked onto, is to use cover. Ultimately, you want to get as close as possible. Your opponent can't blow you up (w/o dying as well, anyway) if you are in melee range. Its melee is slow and easy to avoid. At close range it is near useless, and easy to beat. Another good idea, is not to approach it head on. Come in from the side, so your opponent doesnt get a chance to rocket you first. The speed of this weapon can also be exploited, similar to the Trando repeater, but if you notice someone pointing a rocket launcher at you, it might be a good idea to move. One last thing to keep in mind, is that the thing only gets 5 shots. Don't let them keep reloading, and then they can only do so much damage (getting to the weapons is part of the game).

Anti Armor Attachment: For crying out loud, people, the thing only gets four shots! The blast radius is small enough that two kills is far less common then the rocket launcher, and it is difficult to time properly (notice the people who complain about it are not the people who can get kills with it). I don't really have to great of strategies against it, and it often hurts me, so maybe someone else could help here.

Concussion Rifle: I can't believe this weapon is as complained about as it is. It is very difficult to use effectively. The secret against it is to watch where the shots are, and move away. Jump around a lot, and make yourself a difficult target. Direct hits are rare, and other shots can be avoided. Best bet is to close to short range (not melee range, unless you are behind the person) where the person risks hurting himself with his shots. Keep dodging and pounding away. With some practice, it is not all that difficult to survive an encounter with this weapon.

Shotgun (aka Ray's gun): This one is simple, look around and stay away. Don't face one way for too long, and don't let them sneek up on you. If you spot someone using this, keep moving away and shooting. If you are unfortunate enough to get into optimal shotgun range, the best bet is to jump around, be a difficult target. Jumping continually over the persons head and trying to stay behind then works well for me. Keep hitting and don't get hit.

Sniper/Scoped Bowcaster: The balance here is that the person is usually not moving. Detonators, rockets, Ray's gun, conc rifle, etc. all work well, especially if they don't see you. As for moving through sniper infested areas, my best advice is don't. Perhaps someone else has a better way of avoiding snipers, but they get me every time.

Unscoped Bowcaster: This is very difficult to aim, so if you make yourself a hard target, and keep a little distance, you should do find (bad luck is the main exception).

Anyone complaining about the pistol, blaster, or ACP repeater needs to get a life.

Originally posted by TK-8252

Pistol is so cheap. Does so much damage and has infinite ammo. It needs a nerf so badly.

:p

a nerf badly?!?!?!?! are you serious?!?!?! it gets 5 shots in quick succession, then has to recharge, basically, you can fire like one shot/sec infinately, or 5 take a break, etc. Seriously, if you are halfway decent with any weapon, a pistol user is easy to take down.... a rifle is the best way to deal with them IMO (or ACP repeater, for you lizards out there) just spray at their head.... or torso, you have a much higher rate of fire than they do....

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

Anyone complaining about the pistol... needs to get a life.

Get a life. Seriously, though, I'm sure if it came to it, people would be willing to complain about the pistol. :(

I got the sarcasm. I meant other people would complain about the pistol if they had nothing else to complain about.

Originally posted by TK-8252

I suppose you all didn't see the ":P" in my post indicating it is meant to be sarcastic. :xp:

unless of course you are talking about me instead of shok, in which case, yeah, i saw it, yeah, i knew you were kidding, but i figured it would do the whiners some good to see someone chastised, and it ended up being a crappy add on to shoks review anyway:(

Originally posted by Nokill

As long NOBODY MESSES WHIT THE DMGes IM GLAD!!!

:mad:

i don't whant RC to end like JKA

Don't you mean JK2? JA didn't mess with the damages of stuff, but JK2 did (a lot!). JA's problem was the popularity of admin mods (which also affected JK2), but I'm talking strictly about official patches here.

well you get my point i hope :o

as long ppl leave the weapons its yust going to be fine ;)

*small idear for a mod*

make special classes you can pick from in the start of a match example

Commando: normal gun

Sniper: gets sniper rifle

and no weapons in the map let ppl kill otheres for there ammo and difrent weapons like me :D

Originally posted by Nokill

*small idear for a mod*

make special classes you can pick from in the start of a match example

Commando: normal gun

Sniper: gets sniper rifle

and no weapons in the map let ppl kill otheres for there ammo and difrent weapons like me :D

That would distrupt weapons balance severely. Rather then have to fight for the best weapons, everyone would have them (similar problem to zero respawn time for weapons). It would be ridiculously unfair to people who prefer unpopular weapons (where are they going to get ammo from?). It gives a huge advantage to weapons that have more ammo. Those with the Anti Armor would not likely be able to get more then 5 kills (high estimate) without one of them having the same weapon, whereas someone using the Trando repeater would be able to rack up a ton of kills. It would basically go one of two ways, either everyone would be using the Trando repeater, or everyone would use the Anti Armor. Either way, most weapons would be virtually obsolete.

Don't you mean JK2? JA didn't mess with the damages of stuff, but JK2 did (a lot!). JA's problem was the popularity of admin mods (which also affected JK2), but I'm talking strictly about official patches here.

Well in JA everyone accused every weapon that they lost to as having it's damages changed. Yes... the days of annoyance those were.

Yeah the idea of classes wouldn't be good for reasons stated by shok. It'd be like Battlefront but with all the weapons severly messed up to where people would only be one class.

That would distrupt weapons balance severely. Rather then have to fight for the best weapons, everyone would have them (similar problem to zero respawn time for weapons). It would be ridiculously unfair to people who prefer unpopular weapons (where are they going to get ammo from?). It gives a huge advantage to weapons that have more ammo. Those with the Anti Armor would not likely be able to get more then 5 kills (high estimate) without one of them having the same weapon, whereas someone using the Trando repeater would be able to rack up a ton of kills. It would basically go one of two ways, either everyone would be using the Trando repeater, or everyone would use the Anti Armor. Either way, most weapons would be virtually obsolete.

yes your probally right :(

well yust keep it as it is then :p

what are we talking aboud anyways

hmm, i voiced a similar idea to shok earlier, but, i must say i think its a good idea for an idea. you would have to change it so people could carry three weapon types tho, your class weapon (and i would hope you would only get to choose between the normal weapons, like: rifle, sniper, AA, and shotgun), then of course you wouldget your pistol, and the third weapon slot would carry a weapon you just picked off the ground, which could be any other weapon except for the class weapons. ammo would be in ammo boxes, not found on other guns or corpses. yes, it would have a battlefield/battlefront feel to it, but i think it may work...

And what would keep everyone from choosing AA. The whole point is that you have to earn weapons. They were placed where they are for a reason, they don't want everyone to have them.

well, AA has limited ammo, only 4 shots, so the ammo boxes for aa wouldn't be as frequent as those for other weapons, basically, you would have to be very careful with your ammo, because it would be hard to find, whereas sniper or shotgun or somethign would havea lot of ammo available

Not really. A shotgun is dependent on the element of surprise when fighting an AA, so it is at a disadvantage. The sniper rifle is difficult to use, especially with the size of the maps, and will not likely be chosen by most over the AA. The blaster takes to long to get a kill. The guys with the AA would be getting most of the ammo pickups, and dont need much to get kills. And if you add in a third weapon, this gives them the oppourtunity to have a weapon with lots of ammo to fall back on.

Not really. A shotgun is dependent on the element of surprise when fighting an AA, so it is at a disadvantage. The sniper rifle is difficult to use, especially with the size of the maps, and will not likely be chosen by most over the AA. The blaster takes to long to get a kill. The guys with the AA would be getting most of the ammo pickups, and dont need much to get kills. And if you add in a third weapon, this gives them the oppourtunity to have a weapon with lots of ammo to fall back on.

i guess so.... i guess i just like the idea of specialties.... is that so bad?!?!!?

im sure someone, somewhere, will come up with a good way to do it

Specialties IMO don't really work with this game. They work in Battlefront, (to a degree) and they even worked in that JKA Siege thing, but like shok said, considering the current size of the maps, some weapons would be at a disadvantage. And if the maps were made bigger, other weapons would be at a disadvantage. Just head over to the VSK servers, They haven't fixed their no pickup respawn delay problem. A good amount of times, practically everyone has the AA/Trando Heavy Repeater/Rocket Launcher. It gets a bit annoying. I see a class mod ending up like that.

A "class mod" would necessitate custom made maps for the purpose. Notice how in JA Siege it wasn't just a class mod that could be applied over the top of FFA in the normal maps. Instead you had custom maps, with goals and specific objectives for each side. The classes were balanced for the scenario, rather than across the board.

I figure the same thing would be applied here. The main reason you'd think classes would be good would be in a team based scenario, perhaps with the revive command and doors you have to slice/demolish and other such tasks. Simply having CTF and people with different starting weapons probably wouldn't work too well, unless you radically modified how the weapons behaved, and got rid of weapon pickups.

If you want to see how classes could work in RC, just look at any other FPS game that has classes that works, and see what approach they use. I agree applying classes over the top of the current game probably wouldn't be very good. This approach is certainly a lot more work, but it would in the end be much better I think.

• 3 months later...

The thread has risen from the dead. A sad statement about the current community.

In other words, it hasn't changed. Everyone still thinks the weapons aren't fair. Some still try to impose their own rules saying that you can only use blasters otherwise you cheat.

Oh well, I had nearly forgotten about this thread. Thanks for reviving it Kurgan.

Yep. So how goes the game these days? You still play? Is the number of servers still under 20? I honestly hadn't played the game much since after that horrible excuse for a "patch"... and I beat SP after seeing ROTS in the theater, and then there wasn't much left. I went back to JA. ;P

The game was fun while it lasted, but we got gipped by LucasArts in the MP arena, sadly.

Yep I still play, and nothings really changed since the start. There are generally 18 servers active. Two of them usually full or almost full all the time. (JASA and MOTR servers) A few people have been able to create custom maps for the game. Ranging from pretty good to un interesting. All of them playable on a server during "Bactaweek" (not really a tournament but there is this map coming out that will be a "party map" basically a sort of lounge with pillars with the names of the best Bactaweek players on it.)

All in all, its still the same as you left it Kurgan. Aside from the inflation in clans, Clan wars, and clan turncoats, its all the same. Right down to those who complain if they get killed quote "un fairly". I still have fun with my online friends though.

And I'm alot better of course lol.

• 4 months later...

I just got the game for Christmas :)

LOADS of fun both SP and MP-wise

I'm actually getting pretty good, can usually take out opponents who have bigger guns than me. It's just too funny to watch some guy with an AA fire it at close range and blow us both up, or to see "WTF?!" in the chat channels right after melee-ing an unsuspecting sniper from behind. :) If anyone here is offering clan recruitment or lessons I'm open and would like to learn more. :)

Archived