Home

The Nintendo DS: The Next Dreamcast

Darth Groovy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Bongobob: I find that funny because if you turned it around and it was a Sony fan giving Nintendo crap it'd be portraying a few people around here :dozey:

The multimedia features the PSP has are all pretty cool, it's just the fact that you'd have to pay even more money for it all to be worth it really does suck. Also I really would rather buy a DVD rather than a UMD to watch any movie...

btw, I thought the battery for the PSP only lasted 2 and a half hours when playing games if none of the settings were adjusted. Remember you can't adjust the settings like that with an NDS...

Dude, I don't even know too many laptops that have that much battery life. Think about it. What is the difference between having your laptop, and gameing on that, or having a PSP? Suddenly, that PSP doesn't seem all that expensive anymore, when stacked against how much I shelled out for a laptop. Seriously, if your going to sit and play the game for 4 - 7 hours streight, you need to take a potty break or something.

Jeezum Crow :eek:

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

....Not to come off like a Sony fanboy(I don't even own a PSP), but just what is so terrible about a 7 hour battery?

Personally, unless you plan on flying from Brooklyn, NY, to Tokyo Japan, what could hold you up so bad that you could not find an electrical socket in THIS day and age for 7 hours?:confused:

cmon, dont forget, its sithy we're talkin about here, the man who wants to get a fan on his gamepad...

sithy, gettin a job will take a good 8+ hours out of your life at least 5 days a week. Then you wont have to worry about gamepad fans and mere 7 hours battery life :p

Lynky dont say "few people" when you mean ME and YOU... and you know I just do it to makes ya mad :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by STTCT cuz lord knows I want to spend $250 on an mp3 player......

Not only that, but you get a MP3 player that is worse than anything you could have bought in the last 5 years! Sheesh ... mp HP430se had better MP3 features ... in 1998 ...

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Not to come off like a Sony fanboy(I don't even own a PSP), but just what is so terrible about a 7 hour battery? Personally, unless you plan on flying from Brooklyn, NY, to Tokyo Japan, what could hold you up so bad that you could not find an electrical socket in THIS day and age for 7 hours?:confused:

The issue is not 7 hours, but the 3 - 4 hours of real usage that you'd get.

My basic comparison is this:

- My DS - I charged it, and played through most of FF I before the LED told me to charge ... that was more than a week of playing around, also including fiddling with Mario 64.

- My PSP - I charged it, played bits of Lumines and Untold legends, transferred a few pictures, couple of MP3's and the EpIII trailer and fiddled with them, watched some of the lame 'demo videos', played a bit more Untold Legends ... and the battery charge light came on. Probably 3 hours of play time.

The battery life in the PSP is crap. It is like using one of the high-end gaming laptops with 1.5 hour battery life and not realizing the battery life in those is crap ...

Mike

Originally posted by Lynk Former

btw, I thought the battery for the PSP only lasted 2 and a half hours when playing games if none of the settings were adjusted. Remember you can't adjust the settings like that with an NDS...

Little under 5 hours of Thug2 Remix.

Full volume and brightness.

Woah! This thread sprang back to life didn't it?!?

I wasn't intending to restart a fanboy war, i was just happy to learn that there were finally some decent DS games on the horizon, as the existing games library isn't up to much.

Its obvious that the PSP has better graphics, and more multimedia features. But the DS graphics (n64 era though they may be) still look pretty good on the small screen. Heck, even Doom 2 looks pretty nifty on a 3" screen.

It may be that one will beat the other, i think that they will end up about even, with different audiences owning different machines, and a few people owning both.

But only time will tell, so there is no point fighting over it.

Its nice to see that there are some interesting looking DS games coming up though, as up till now it looked very weak and sparse on the games front, and i worried the only games that would use the touch screen would be warioware ripoffs. Nice to see a number of FPS and RTS games coming up... plus games like viewtiful joe that use it in new ways.

----------

As for movies... you can use several first/third party movie/mp3 player carts on the DS that you can get from suppliers like lik-sang for around $20 plus postage. These take ordinary flash memory, so you'll easily save the price of them just buying a 512Mb card (vs overpriced memorystick duos).

That means for less than the price of a PSP you could get a DS that plays movies, mp3s and homebrew games AND a 1GB card.

The screen won't be as big, and the graphics not as powerful... but its a trade off as always...

Originally posted by toms

The screen won't be as big, and the graphics not as powerful... but its a trade off as always...

that sounds like a bum end of a compromise to me :p Th guys who let me play their psps a few days ago told me that it just depends on what theyre doing, and what game theyre playing. They saod that about 4-5 hours is their max, playing at maxed out settings. The battery cases add an extra 5 or so hours. 10 hours max suits me fine...

DS is like dressin up your grandma in a miniskirt and takin her to a niteclub. You can pretend you're cool and happennin, but at the end of the day, she's just old :p

*laughs at mid 1990s grafix*

mtfbwya

Is there a new one in development? I mean, I know there has to be, it's a nintendo handheld, they have to. I just want like a link or something. I still want to go get the GBA remakes of the original games, still my favorite ones out of them all

There is this "Pokemon Dash" game for DS, but it's some crappy pokemon racing game. Gotta wait for Nintendo to make a real Pokemon RPG.

cuz lord knows I want to spend $250 on an mp3 player

For $250, I could get this and buy lunch.

With the PSP, you'll have to fork out some big bucks for a gig memory stick.

Not to come off like a Sony fanboy(I don't even own a PSP), but just what is so terrible about a 7 hour battery? Personally, unless you plan on flying from Brooklyn, NY, to Tokyo Japan, what could hold you up so bad that you could not find an electrical socket in THIS day and age for 7 hours?

But a 2-3 hour battery life isn't a very portable gaming system. I was travelling for at least 8 hours and did not need to worry about finding an outlet to resume playing my games. Heck, I remember my GameBoy Color lasting for weeks, and that was on AA Batteries. Sorry, but Sony should have worked on their hardware some more.

Dude, I don't even know too many laptops that have that much battery life. Think about it. What is the difference between having your laptop, and gameing on that, or having a PSP? Suddenly, that PSP doesn't seem all that expensive anymore, when stacked against how much I shelled out for a laptop. Seriously, if your going to sit and play the game for 4 - 7 hours streight, you need to take a potty break or something.

There's a reason why laptops can't play games for 5 hours. The hardware needs power to put your DOOM3 graphics on your screen.

DS is like dressin up your grandma in a miniskirt and takin her to a niteclub. You can pretend you're cool and happennin, but at the end of the day, she's just old

*laughs at mid 1990s grafix*

And the PSP is the crackwhore full of VDs you're taking to the high school prom. Don't forget your rubber.

Gameplay > Graphics

Ok to finnish this pointless discussion...

All people who use Nintendo hardware or software, or simply think it might be fun should be lined up against a wall and shot for their stupidity.

Thank you for your contribution.

From IRC chat room

<StarWarsPhreak> !topic Silly rabbit, Nintendo is for kids!

* ChanServ changes topic to 'Silly rabbit, Nintendo is for kids!'

[Edit]For the record, I am not a "Nintendo fanboy." I own all freakin' three of the consoles. Any comments about me being a fanboy will result in your destruction.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

And the PSP is the crackwhore full of VDs you're taking to the high school prom. Don't forget your rubber.

Nah, its more like the snobbish rich girl in all those teen movies:

When the geeky lead guy finally gets to spend an evening with her it costs him a fortune, isn't as much fun as he thought and he realises he has been in-love with the homely-but-beautiful-underneath-girl-next-door all along. :D

PS2 has worse graphics than xbox and gamecube... but still sells loads of games. And nintendo handhelds have NEVER focused on graphics, but always been very popular.

I still think its a trade off:

- amazing graphics but twice the cost and half the battery

- average graphics but half the cost and twice the battery

I'll wait and see what games come out and if prices drop... then i'll probably get a DS, a movie player addon and a 1GB card. Unless the games totally suck or the PSP does something cool.

EVERYONE QUIET!

I am the one who started this thread, which means I am the alpha and omega of what transpires here.

ALL I mentioned is what staff and management of Gamestop told me, which was SEVERAL kids traded in the DS the same week the PSP came out. As of now, we are completely out of stock on PSP systems, and I have a whole back room full of DS systems, new and used.

As with ANY platform, ULTIMATELY, it is all about what games you are into. It's MAINLY the games that sell ANY platform. Why would I pass on a PS2, and pick up an XBOX? Games like Riddick, Doom 3, The Halo series, and Ninja Gaiden.

Since both mods and regular members have resorted to flametory bursts, I am shutting this thread down for good, no second chances. I'm quite dissapointed in the direction this thread went in. It is worse than a Star Trek VS Star Wars thread.

Both mods and regular members should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not kidding either.

Archived