Home

Twisted Media Intrest of the public

kipperthefrog

Ever notice how people know about the private lives of celebrities, but they are ignorant about the ways of polititions and real national issues?

They are interested in the things that are none of their buisness, but they could care less of what they realy should know.

For example, thay would rather know who J-Lo is marrying this week than Bu$h's record or anything the White house or senate does.

Strange Huh?

I agree.

For some reason CNN thinks it's all-important to film the house of a murder victim, get interviews with the family, and generally make idiots out of themselves, but they don't care less about filming the coffins coming home from Iraq because they "want to respect the dead". My butt... The media hasn't respected privacy for decades.

The media is run by money-hungry idiots. The founding fathers must be weeping in their graves.

Ever notice how people know about the private lives of celebrities, but they are ignorant about the ways of polititions and real national issues?

Yes.

I have noticed this to be the case, in my own nation as well as in yours. I have wondered at the time whether humanity has ALWAYS been pathetically easy to manipulate as our generations are... Or whether our modern society is particularly rich in stupid when compared to previous societies.

Originally posted by Spider AL

I have noticed this to be the case, in my own nation as well as in yours. I have wondered at the time whether humanity has ALWAYS been pathetically easy to manipulate as our generations are... Or whether our modern society is particularly rich in stupid when compared to previous societies.

I think when it comes to our primal instincts, we are rather easily manipulated. Before, the only reason why the previous generations weren't so stupid was because if you were manipulated, you'd end up dead or in slavery. But since we're relatively safer from those pains since the late 19th century, we've grown lax in our mental defenses.

(Why do I feel that what I said would belong well in an entry to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe?)

Originally posted by Tyrion

Before, the only reason why the previous generations weren't so stupid was because if you were manipulated, you'd end up dead or in slavery.

I Think we will ALL be dead or in slavery real soon.

Besides, My dad told me IBM and other companies are laying off. You know what that means. when companies start laying off, folks loose their jobs, less products are being bought, more companies lay off, more people are out of work, and it snowballs.

Bin Laden still has his job... Do you still have yours?

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

Bin Laden still has his job... Do you still have yours?

I don't know what you're trying to state when you say that...Bin Laden's job is brainwashing religous fanatics to do his will. Last I heard, that isn't a job most governments want thier citizens to have.

the only reason why the previous generations weren't so stupid was because if you were manipulated, you'd end up dead or in slavery. But since we're relatively safer from those pains since the late 19th century, we've grown lax in our mental defenses.
Bloody good point, tbh. Modern government is based around controlling their populace psychologically, whereas governments of the past were based on controlling their populace through physical violence.

I'm not sure which I'd rather live in: A society where my mind is being controlled, or a society where my physical form's being controlled.

I Think we will ALL be dead or in slavery real soon.
People are already slaves. Mentally enslaved, they are. Mmm, yes.

Bin Laden's job is brainwashing religous fanatics to do his will. Last I heard, that isn't a job most governments want thier citizens to have.
Yeah, they want to save all the brainwashing jobs for themselves. :D

nobody would be bitching about us being over in iraq.
What a loaded comment. Save it for threads about the blatant illegality of the war, mate. :p

you could always not read tabloids or not watch poor quality news broadcasts if youre unhappy with them
As Insane says, that's American news in its entirety. There IS no other news.

As for the UK, it's going the same way. Besides, tabloid culture is part of the working class culture now. Yes, they're ignorant fools for reading the filth and believing it, but they were BROUGHT UP to be ignorant fools. Yes, they must take much of the responsibility for not bettering themselves, but not ALL of it.

My dad gets digital cable. It gets International news, or so he says. He says It is news without the American spin on things.

I didn't watch it mostly. I only watched it once. It doesn't portay the Iraqi ocupation as the noble patriotic cuase Fox says it is. it apears to have a balanced analisys.

As Insane says, that's American news in its entirety. There IS no other news.[/Quote]

If that is news in it's entairety, how come WE don't think like the others do? Where do WE get our info? my best guess is that we pay attention to what is going on rather than if Britney is pregnant or not, or the health of the Olsen twins, or the Michel Jackson trial. Probably meant to distract us? people pay more attention to them celebrities than what might actualy effect us.

If that is news in it's entairety, how come WE don't think like the others do?
I ask myself that question every day Kipper.

I ask myself: "Why am I not a complete tabloid-reading tard like the majority of the UK's citizens? Why am I not full enough of stupid to believe the crap the politicos peddle? Why God, oh why?"

And then I say to myself: "Stop talking to yourself you fool, everyone will think you're insane. And you're not insane, are you?"

"No sir, I'm not."

"Good."

I haven't found an answer to my question yet though. Maybe we're just better than the rest of the muppets. Who knows.

I don't pay attention to the media jargon, I just pay attention to the little bits here and there, and basically just use common sense to piece things together. Usually I'm more correct than the jackass journalist.

Remember that doll that was said to be a hostage? I knew it was a doll, you could tell by looking at it's face. I saw it on a forum thought someone was messing around doing a "War Hostage" thing, then I later saw a clip on the news and said to myself "... why are they showing that doll on the news"

Later on they came on and said "it turns out it's a doll made by blah blah blah". So I figure if people didn't just buy into everything that's said to them, they wouldn't be so retarded as to actually think a doll is a soldier being held hostage.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Remember that doll that was said to be a hostage? I knew it was a doll, you could tell by looking at it's face. I saw it on a forum thought someone was messing around doing a "War Hostage" thing, then I later saw a clip on the news and said to myself "... why are they showing that doll on the news"

Later on they came on and said "it turns out it's a doll made by blah blah blah". So I figure if people didn't just buy into everything that's said to them, they wouldn't be so retarded as to actually think a doll is a soldier being held hostage.

Where did you see THAT?:p I didn't see it! It sounds KOOL! post a link if you ever find it again!:D that would proove our case!

Edit: nevermind I found it!Doll Hostage

If that is news in it's entairety, how come WE don't think like the others do? Where do WE get our info? my best guess is that we pay attention to what is going on rather than if Britney is pregnant or not, or the health of the Olsen twins, or the Michel Jackson trial. Probably meant to distract us? people pay more attention to them celebrities than what might actualy effect us.

While I agree with you on what you mean, the Micheal Jackson Trial is comedy disguised as serious news, duh.

Anyway, the reason why there aren't any tabloid-reading muppets in this thread is because tabloid-reading muppets would stay far far away from the Senate Chambers in the first place.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Yes, but what MAKES us non-tabloid-readers.

Why am I not a tabloid-reading monkeymind?

Why are you not?

Is it merely that we're clevararar than they are?

Is that just arrogance on my part?

I think it's that we're so arrogant that we believe we know better than the tabloids, and so we're non-tabloid-readers.

You know, I like that explanation. It means I'm speshul. :)

For all your national and international news in the United States, I recommend only these three sources: National Public Radio, Public Radio International (the geo-quiz on The World is always one of my favorites), and the BBC.

Conservative nutters think NPR is a "liberal" news outlet, but the reality is that they simply don't put the right-wing/facist spin on their news.... as near as I can see they tell it like it is.

But "telling it like it is" -like it really is- is considered a "liberal" view point by those nutjobs.

Originally posted by Spider Al

Yes, but what MAKES us non-tabloid-readers.

Why am I not a tabloid-reading monkeymind?

Why are you not?

Is it merely that we're clevararar than they are?

Is that just arrogance on my part?[/Quote]

We think for ourselves.

Great minds think for themselves. Weak minds follow the TV like the Pied Piper. The media would take over uor minds if we let them. We don't let them.

Most people WANT to beleive that the news media is true. Most people WANT to beleive Their leaders are the "Good Guys". They WANT to beleive the debate between Shialvo and the Shindlers are the most important debate. They WANT to debate Jacko's guilt rather than debate somthing complicated like Social Security.

We think for ourselves.

Great minds think for themselves. Weak minds follow the TV like the Pied Piper. The media would take over uor minds if we let them. We don't let them.

Naturally, you, of course, fall under the independant thinker part, right? We can't assume that we truly are great or that we're stronger in mind than everyone else, because that's how the manipulative will be able to entrap us. Truth is, we may be like those we call weak-minded more than we would be content to be.

Most people WANT to beleive that the news media is true. Most people WANT to beleive Their leaders are the "Good Guys". They WANT to beleive the debate between Shialvo and the Shindlers are the most important debate. They WANT to debate Jacko's guilt rather than debate somthing complicated like Social Security.

And the rest want to believe that what they feel is important matters. They feel that Senate hearings or the newest information of the Middle East matters. That it's better to feel depressed but in knowledge of the world happenings, than to be blissful within our pointless worlds.

It's all very grey...so very gray.

Truth is, we may be like those we call weak-minded more than we would be content to be.

Exactly. What keeps us from falling into that whole mess of celebrity worry is that we're cynical pricks that like to masturbate furiously to our own self-education.

Figuratively speaking of course. :p

(people) want to believe that what they feel is important matters.

:) It's the human condition.

It's all very grey...so very gray.

Indeed. The world is never as black and white as many people, including us from time to time, think.

Its something that has me permanently intruiged as well.

I'm sure that psychologists could find some deep psychological reason why the Cult of Celebrity has become so important in people's lives. (If all the psychologists weren't on tv analysing big-brother contestants).

It all seems wrapped up in the extreme capitalist, high-speed, self-interest driven society we have these days.

People are lead by tv and movies to want more from life, to be like the "perfect" people they see on the screen. But they are also led by today's high-speed, disposable society to want it quickly and without too much effort. They soon find that not everyone can be a brad pitt or a jennifer aniston... so they fullfil their dreams vicariously (?) by absorbing as much information about these people's lives as possible. I guess if they are reading about these people's great lives then they can forget about their own mediocre ones. Or even better, wait until those people's lives go wrong so they can feel better about their own.

And i'm constantly disturbed by the fac that "celebrity" seems to have become a goal in itself. To the point that people will humiliate themselves for their 15 seconds of fame... or are even happy to be famous for nothing, or even famous for being ugly/stupid/easy etc... (see big brother, jordan, abi titmus, etc...)

----------

I think the issue of people's interest in "real issues" is a slightly different one though. Its partly down to the short attention spans people have today. They don't want to have to think about or understand an issue... they want to be told what to think. Which is why biased tabloid style news is more popular than balanced serious news... and why simple "black and white" political messages are more popular than realistic ones.

I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done now to reverse the trend... unless people start thinking more as part of a community and less about just themselves. :(

Archived