Home

Punk Music

Mandalorian54

I listen mostly, though not only, to Punk music. I like alot more of the heavier stuff, right now I'm listening to alot of Thrice, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, and stuff like that. I do still like some softer stuff like Blink 182, though I haven't listened to them in ages and I can't stand their newest album.

I also really like the band Kitty, who I've seen been classified Death Metal. I'll never get into the whole chicks screaming sounding like men thing though, but I love those songs that have singing. Their singer is very talented, and when the scream in the back ground while singing it's just perfect.

So if you like Punk, what are some of the bands you listen to the most, what do you think of the bands I listen to, and what else is on your mind related to Punk?

Yes greenday is loosly considered Punk, by me at least. And considering the fact that if you buy it at HMV it's in the Punk section.

Greenday is too mainstreem for me. I never even really liked their old stuff. It's also just too soft for me. I do like some of their songs though. Dookie was a pretty good album. I wish I could kill Boulavard of Broken Dreams, I'm so sick of hearing it on the radio.

Does that answer your question?

But hey, I'm not a Punk expert okay, I didn't invent Punk. You'll get plenty of different answers depending on who you ask. Alot of people don't consider Blink182 Punk but I do, loosly.

Greenday definetly is not Pop though, far from it. Greenday is more like Mainstreem Rock, with a hint of Punk.

Originally posted by IG-64

Is Green Day considered "Punk" at all?

Or is it just "pop"?

I generaly consider anything that gets in the charts pop. greenday is some of the least poppy pop though in my opinion (if that makes any sense) anyway, Though what I listen to isn't mainstream I'm not into punk so i'll get the hell out of your thread!

See ya!

DEAD KENNEDYS > modern punk :p

buts thats just me :p

oh, the pistols too, but to a much lesser extent

yes, I am an old man :(

btw, I hope there isnt a girlie death metal band called Kitty. Death Metal is about evil demons and satan's legions vanquishing its foes :p

It can only be played by 6.5 feet tall muscular dudes with long hair and tatts, who are usually from florida, or more recently, Louisiana :p

METAL TILL YOU DIE !!!!! :rock:

mtfbwya

If by Girlie you mean non stop screaming in a way that you wouldn't know they wern't men unless you knew better and heavy enough power chords to wilt a greenhouse in a matter of hours...well I guess girlie isn't what it used to be.

I think if there were women here we'd have a femenist riot about how women can be just as much death metal as men, but I hope that doesn't happen.

Dead Kennedies and the Sex Pistols...I can't stand that type of old fashion retro Punk. It's just the sound that bugs me. I also don't listen to much Metal, Kittie's about it.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

btw, I hope there isnt a girlie death metal band called Kitty. Death Metal is about evil demons and satan's legions vanquishing its foes :p

It can only be played by 6.5 feet tall muscular dudes with long hair and tatts, who are usually from florida, or more recently, Louisiana :p

mtfbwya

...Or from britain or Canada... <.<

The only punk bands I listen to are The Misfits, The Damned, and The Clash.

[edit] By the way, Arch Enemy is a decent Death Metal band with a female singer (she wasn't on their older stuff though) :)

Agreed. And yes. I'm an old man as well.

Death Metal is about evil demons and satan's legions vanquishing its foes :p

mtfbwya

Louisiana and the metal bands that come frome there > All.

I used to listen to punk music, well, punk and ska. I never got too into the hardcore punk, but i'd listen to it because my old roommate was, and I didn't mind it. But now I've found I much prefer bands that are more musically inclined. Punk is okay, but I like ska more than punk, and I like a lot of other stuff more than ska.

Cake, The Beta Band, and Radiohead are three of my favorite bands.

Back in the day though, I enjoyed The Virus, GC5, and a few others.

Originally posted by KBell

Avenged Sevenfold is definetly not punk, more along the lines of metal/heavymetal

Agreed.

Punk I listen to.

Black Flag

Misfits

Ramones

The Clash

Queers

Violent Femmes

Bad Religion

The Unseen

Dead Kennedy's

Sex Pistols on rare occasion

Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics

Balzac

... a lot more that will take forever to type out.

Needless to same I'm a punk rocker.

PS: Greenday is pop-punk.

the only punk i really listen to is Black Flag, The Misfits, and the Ramones..and many no name bands like The Infested that dont play on the radio.

I listen to taking back sunday, Greenday, Yellowcard, and Blink 182... all of the stuff inspired by punk but ends up as Rock and Pop Punk ...for the most part.

All the older music by these bands is the greatest.

Pie, I'll give Arch Enemy a listen and let you know what I think.

Most people seems to have their own way of classifying music, putting different bands in different catagories. It's so confusing. I just go by whatever catagory I find them in a music store. If they're in the punk section I'll call them Punk. I'm not going to make up my own system.

I guess it just depends on what people see in music. They classify the elemnts they see together. So you see the Metal style in Avenged Sevenfold and classify it as Punk.

Well, I just don't do that. I classify it the way I find it in the music store. I think it's the easiest way to avoid confusion and for there to be a structured classification system.

I also really like Yellowcard.

Greenday = Power Pop = Punk Pop

Punk I listen to:

Dead Kennedys

Descendants

Bad Religion sometimes

Misfits sometimes

Tsunami Bomb

@Mandalorian54: I think its punk depending on the beat and stuff like that.

I mean punk sounds punk, pop sounds pop, crap I mean rap sounds like crap, etc.

Originally posted by LightNinja

[offtopic]Astro im sorry to say this but... Real Madrid 4 - Barça 2 MWAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D[/offtopic](sorry had to do this :(:p)

bah ! too little too late mr Ninja... now, go back to staring at your posh and becks posters

ps- you could do this with PMs next time :(

wow, several posts in and no "My Music > Your Music" flame wars have started..

BOR - ING :(

:p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Mandalorian54

Most people seems to have their own way of classifying music, putting different bands in different catagories. It's so confusing. I just go by whatever catagory I find them in a music store. If they're in the punk section I'll call them Punk. I'm not going to make up my own system.

By doing that I'd have to classify Darkthrone in the same genre as Kiss. That's just a no-no. :(

I like some classic punk (sex pistols, clash, ramones) and I've recently rediscovered green day and some (very) early offspring.

A number of the bands that are big in the uk at the moment could be considered "punk" influenced (white stripes, kaiser chiefs, etc..) bt they aren't pure punk.

The US seems to be more into skate punk, (fast guitars and jumping up and down) whereas actual "real" classic punk was often quite slow and medodic.

I've never understood thrash metal and the sort of bands where they just scream into the microphone and hit all their instruments as fast as possible though... :confused:

Archived