Home

PC Demo - impressions?

Jake

I died a few times in the coach's mind and you just respawn at nearby location. I think there are a certain amount of lives, but maybe the training mission doesn't take away from them. As for saves, I hope there will be save points in certain locations, because I find that the ability to save at any point in the game can be a temptation to save too often.

As this is a consoleish platformer, I would really recommend picking up an analogue joypad because Raz is soooo much easier to control with one. Swinging and jumping feels natural. Make sure it has two analogue sticks - one for movement, one for camera control.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I collected all 5 of the emotional baggages and I unlock a new memory reel. It's called Primal Memories, and it shows some nice concept art. Get all 5 lost baggages and see it for yourself ;)

Maybe there's something similar for collecting all the figments or arrowheads...

Edit - Nah, I got all of the figments in the game and got nothing :(

Love the demo, completed it three times.

The swinging thing got me though, I didn't know that F turned you around, I was convinced you simply couldn't do it and ended up jumping and then changing direction mid jump in order to grab the pole facing the direction i just jumped from. Very confusing up until I accidentally hit F.

Apart from that, I have to say, I loved it. The graphics were great and the voice acting, inspired. the music was awsome and there's a hint of a great storyline.

But the thing that really did it for me was simply the gameplay. There is so much to do, every stage is something different and the demo builds up your abilities so well that you walk into them with confidense. The final log spinning thing was inspired, it was hard and yet not too hard and still something completely different.

Overall, looking forward to it.

Jake, I can only jump while swinging a 'full circle'. I played it for the third time now, and I definitely have to use a specific key (either -a- or -d-), which changes to the opposite key when I hit -f- to turn around.

But I'm getting better at it. (I hope it won't get too difficult in the full game, though)

--Erwin

I think you need the levitation badge to get over there (which happens elsewhere in the game beyond the demo).

edit: You definitely need levitation, but once you get there, well, at least there's a pretty view as a reward if not much else :).

view.jpg

(taken with a press build of the first couple of levels, care of Majesco)

Originally posted by Erwin_Br

Jake, I can only jump while swinging a 'full circle'. I played it for the third time now, and I definitely have to use a specific key (either -a- or -d-), which changes to the opposite key when I hit -f- to turn around.

But I'm getting better at it. (I hope it won't get too difficult in the full game, though)

--Erwin

Basically, you can only jump when you're swining in the direction your facing. So if you're facing right, you press d (right) to swing and then jump (doesn't have to be full circle, but it helps to verify that you have enough momentum to jump at this point). And of course, you can only jump to the right if facing right, or the left if facing left)

And of course, if your facing the wrong way, then just press F and you'll face the other way.

On the part where there are 4 poles which you have to go up that are in a diagonal line, you can start swinging on the first one, then just tap space repeatedly, and Raz will zoom through them all, without having to swing on each bar.

Also, has anyone noticed how Raz can slide up rails too ;)

I got an AC97 sond cart (Advance Logic, crap) and the osund is skipping... I read the read me (at the end so far) telling to change the value of the sound conifg file... I did it, i changed the value many time making different twinning, but it still skip... anyone knows anything ?

I'm impressed! The game certainlyh looks interesting and plays very well. I've pretty much ignored the hype, but I think I may buy into it a bit more now.

Mouse controls needed inverting and desensitising, and I think I'll be happier to buy a pad. Still, very impressive when you consider this is a console port with platform elements. I only had a small problem jumping between tight-ropes after I got used to everything.

Hopefully it'll do better than Beyond Good & Evil, which is probably the closest thing to it.

One is behind the first giant trampoline, the other you have to jump on the airplane parts to get to. (Just after you get the "Use [whatever button you use on the PC] to look around." message)

At least I assume those are the ones you're missing, as they're the only ones hidden away.

Absolutely loved it.

I thought it was going to be one of those games that I could hold off purchasing for a while. But immediately after I finished the demo (the first time), I logged on and bought the darn thing. Why is there a $20 difference between the price for the PC version and the XBox version - does anyone know?

Anyway, I was able to break down the door to the outhouse once, but I haven't been able to do it again, even though I've collected enough doohickeys to go up to Level 2 - anyone know how to do this?

Has everyone done everything in camp that's possible. I actually managed to get onto the large trampoline from the outhouse. Don't ask me how because I can't seem to do it again.

Other than that, I really don't get how you get all of the baggage, one of them was behind a spiderweb for me and as far as I know, I have nothing toget past the web.

And also, I'm having troubles with gamestop and as far as I know, EB won't ship to the UK. Any other places I can get psychonauts?

Which large trampoline is that?

The bag I had some trouble finding at first, until I stopped to hear it cry, was among the trapezes and plane parts. After jumping the first few trapezes you come to a wire that you can walk, from it you can jump onto a plane part and then onto another plane part - the bag is inside the plane.

Also, I think it's a safe behind the web.

I live in Sweden and have ordered from EB Games in the US. I got a mail from them, asking me what bank I have and after that I have heard nothing so I hope they could confirm what they had to with the bank and that it means there is no trouble. :)

Before basic braining, in the actual camp, there are 2 trampolines, one next to the guy with the protective hat (I forget his name, he's talking to squirrels) that helps you get onto the roof of the building next to it, and then another on the other side of that building that is much higher up. i managed to jump from the roof of the outhouse onto it and bounce onto a ladder which went up and then i acquired some PSI thing, that's about it.

Originally posted by Joshi

Before basic braining, in the actual camp, there are 2 trampolines, one next to the guy with the protective hat (I forget his name, he's talking to squirrels) that helps you get onto the roof of the building next to it, and then another on the other side of that building that is much higher up. i managed to jump from the roof of the outhouse onto it and bounce onto a ladder which went up and then i acquired some PSI thing, that's about it.

You just have to get a good forward jump, and you go straight through the bottom of it and start bouncing on it.

Archived