Home

JA+ Alt-Dimension? (JA+ Mod)

MyKell

lukeskywalker1, by net code you mean client/server protocol, and it is not changable because raven did not release the SDK of the client server code engine

Crap, oh well. Wishfull thinking I guess. I figured that since its called the MP SDK they would release the full MP code (including the client/server protocol) but whatever.

BTW, Slider, there are a few prepackaged emotes (the Bow, flousish, etc...)

Slider, I'm on the staff of LucasFiles, I just haven't been active lately because I've been so busy. However, I believe only Visac has the power to actually delete files that have already been posted (all the rest of us can do is modify the descriptions). So I've asked him specially to fix that per your request (could you contact him again about it, just to make sure he knows?).

Anyway, good luck. I'm glad to see you're improving the situation, I hope the admins go along.

Btw, do you guys think the many empty JA servers are abusive servers that people are rejecting, or are they "competative" servers that the "lamer haters" are avoiding? Or is there some other explanation as to why there are so many empty servers (and have been for so long)? I mean if the game is not popular, fine, but then why do so many people waste time and money hosting?

Good question Kurgan. Here is my 2 cents:

My servers have been active for nearly a year. In that time, the majority of people that come to my JA+ server, do so asking for admin right off. When it is not granted, the usually leave.

When I run baseJKA FFA, nobody shows up. When I run baseJKA CTF, players show up but some complain because they can not keep up. It is not fun to admin, when you have to stop every 2 minutes and play police officer. When I run baseJKA DUEL, I get a slow stream of people who are at all skill levels. The games last a while with little or no complaining. I like it the best and use full force (I think that is why it is slow).

I think players are somewhat bored with JKx and use JA+ to liven it up. I have been know to spawn 15-20 custom NPCs in FFA just to have someting better the a dumb BOT roaming around.

I also think gamers are looking for new games that offer new graphics, weapons, etc.

I liked what Force MOD II did for the game. Defeating a Vong (before the patch) was the last time I ever felt a GOOD challenge. The odds were tilted for the VONG, so to win felt real good. Then, a bunch of whiners took that away and turned all FM3 servers to RPG. RPG is fine, but is that not what SWG is for?

Anyway, that is my comments.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Btw, do you guys think the many empty JA servers are abusive servers that people are rejecting, or are they "competative" servers that the "lamer haters" are avoiding? Or is there some other explanation as to why there are so many empty servers (and have been for so long)? I mean if the game is not popular, fine, but then why do so many people waste time and money hosting?

Originally posted by MyKell

Good question Kurgan. Here is my 2 cents:

My servers have been active for nearly a year. In that time, the majority of people that come to my JA+ server, do so asking for admin right off. When it is not granted, the usually leave.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

It's OK slider, I still respect you for standing up to all those power-hungry "admins" who want to be junior Emperor Palpatines. I hope you noticed the people who posted on your forum that they "love to be admins". They go to servers not to play and become better players, but to strut around like gods among the lowly players. They support the "no laming" rules because it justifies their existence and "jobs" as admins. Go to JA+ FFA server and watch those "admins". They rarely play. They strut around telling people what to do, or stand around watching players like prison guards.

I would guess that a lot of empty JA+ "no laming" servers are run by "wannabe admins". The lure of "easy power and respect" by simply becoming an "admin" and instantly having all kinds of "super powers" that common players don't have is very seductive, attractive, and addictive to a lot of adolescent males. Don't forget the demographic of the vast majority of the people playing this game (males 12 to 21 years old).

The "admin wannabes" aren't patient, dedicated, or skilled enough to earn respect the old-fashioned way by being great players, they want it NOW NOW NOW! They see all these other adolescent male "admins" strutting around like gods on servers, and they really really want to be "cool and powerful and feared and respected" like that. Since all they have to do is download JA+ mod and run a server from home (or maybe even rent one for less than a dollar a day), that's what they do. But since there are too many guys who want to be admins for the number of players (and because their abuse of players keeps shrinking the game) you end up with a lot of empty servers. At any given time, even on weekends and evenings, most JA servers have no humans on them. They are empty or have only bots.

And what's the fun of having all kinds of cool super powers if you never use them? That's why many of them are secretly thrilled when a "lamer" (innocent newbie or rule-breaking jerk, it doesn't really matter to them) comes to their server, so they can "feel the power" as they amslap and amsleep (and ampunish and amslay if those are available) the "lamer", or uber-amempower themselves into infinite-Force Count Dooku-and-Yoda. And if there are no lamers around, they figure out some excuse to use those tempting powers anyway. It's sad.

It's one of the tragic, pathetic side-effects of these admin mods: adolescent males who are primarily interested in being god-like "admins", enforcing rules and "punishing rule-breakers", rather than simply playing the game for fun. It's really obvious when you read these posts http://japlus.fragism.com/gl-bin/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1452&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Amidala as i often say, you just need to be more open minded....

you are classified too much the things...

You always speak about the worst servers...

why don't you also speak about the good one....

perhaps your don't play on the good one...

Moreover you tend to see only the competotive player community without seeing the need of the rpg honour community....

As i said many times in the past, i personally understand and like both type of gaming nad this is the whole point and target of the alternate dimension feature.....

enable player like me to be able to play all the type without going on another server.....

Please Amidala don't awnser to what i said with RUDE word...

I am foreign languages so i insist on the fact that i didn't want to speak hurting your sensibility..

So exuse me if the word i choose are hurting you....

It's OK slider, I still respect you for standing up to all those power-hungry "admins" who want to be junior Emperor Palpatines. I hope you noticed the people who posted on your forum that they "love to be admins". They go to servers not to play and become better players, but to strut around like gods among the lowly players. They support the "no laming" rules because it justifies their existence and "jobs" as admins. Go to JA+ FFA server and watch those "admins". They rarely play. They strut around telling people what to do, or stand around watching players like prison guards.

Amen Amidala.

The first server I played on (EJK) was running JA+. It skewd my preception of what JKA was online. I was so new, I did not realize and admin as yelling at me in chat. I got slapped, slayed, punished, and finally banned. The whole time I just thought the force powers were way differant. When I reviewed the text in the console, I was even more confused.

I think it scarred me for life :(

slider, I support the alternate dimension concept, and I hope it becomes popular. It is much better than encouraging abuse and humiliation with amslay, ampunish, amtele-into-lava, etc.

I never said all admins are abusive or want a shortcut to prestige and power, just too many (most?) of them are.

Kurgan asked why there are so many empty servers and I gave him my theory (based upon a lot of observation and running servers for 2 years). You don't have to agree, although there is plenty of evidence to support my theory.

I remind of you of what MyKell posted:

Originally posted by MyKell

In that time, the majority of people that come to my JA+ server, do so asking for admin right off. When it is not granted, the usually leave.

On your own forum, I remember posts where people were told to stop constantly asking to be an admin on your server.

Look at the posts in your own forum with admins who are very angry and upset that they will lose a little bit of their overwhelming powers and "prestige", and who are obsessed with "punishing rule-breakers". Even if everyone is happily playing in the alternate dimension, they can't stand the idea that they are "breaking rules" without being "punished".

I post in a lot of forums and I see a lot of "how do you make a server?" or "my server doesn't work" threads. I ask them why they want to make a server, and they say they are sick of playing on clan servers where the admins are way more "powerful" than they are. I point out that they don't have to make a server, that there are already hundreds of empty servers and they should just arrange with their friends to meet there and play unmolested by admins.

Well, after talking to them more, they aren't interested in that. Why they really want to run their own servers is so they can be admins and amslap other players. Literally, their threads often have questions like "how do I amslap and ampunish people?"

Remember who is downloading and using admin mods. Those powers are intoxicating to adolescent and immature males. That's why professional game programmers are very conservative and restrained about what features they put into their games. They understand their market and don't want to put destructive or unbalancing things into their games, or give immature individuals unfair and potentially abusive "powers". Those features and cvars are cheat-protected for a reason. The professional game programmers exercise good judgement and restraint because they have to, there is money at stake.

But modders have no financial stake or interest in the game. Many of them are only interested in making something as popular as possible, no matter what it takes or what bad effects it might have on the community.

And slider, please notice I am talking in general terms about mods and modders, not any particular mod or modder.

Those powers are intoxicating to adolescent and immature males.

Males? Adolescent? Please, really... you got to quit assuming that those admins are on a lower level than you (IE: Opposite Sex, and Younger)

I agree with what you say untill you slant the admins in a direction that may not be true. There ARE female admins. And there ARE admins over 20. And yes, they abuse their "powers" also.

Moreover you tend to see only the competotive player community without seeing the need of the rpg honour community....

The "need" of the honor community? Ummmm... I would say that their need is well met, considering 80% of the servers are honor.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

Males? Adolescent? Please, really... you got to quit assuming that those admins are on a lower level than you (IE: Opposite Sex, and Younger)

I agree with what you say untill you slant the admins in a direction that may not be true. There ARE female admins. And there ARE admins over 20. And yes, they abuse their "powers" also.

There are female admins? Wow, really? :rolleyes:

Read what I wrote:

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

Don't forget the demographic of the vast majority of the people playing this game (males 12 to 21 years old).

Majority. M-A-J-O-R-I-T-Y. I never said "all" admins are males between the ages of 12 and 21 :rolleyes:

A few months ago I had several admins on my servers, with a range of ages and both sexes. None of this "knight" nonsense either, these were RCON admins. All of them had to read a guide, pass a quiz, and promise not to change server settings or even ban people. They were allowed to kick only.

But, come on. What percentage of JA+ sub-admins are males between 12 and 21? 85%? 90%? 95%? The overwhelming majority of JA+ clan admins are teenage or slightly older (but not necessarily more mature) males who hunger for the power and "prestige" of being an "admin".

I played on a server last night with the alt dimension had no idea wtf it was... ppl were fragging left and right but i couldnt seem to kill anyone... they enabled it to where you could change in between them yourself with the /amaltdim cmnd in console.... however this is where the abuse began to kick in of it.... there were some nubs on there that would frag you but just when they were about to die or get hit by you they would have the command bound to the key so they would instantly go into alt dim while yopu missed them then come right back out and kill you... doesnt really matter what you do to the mod the nubs will find a way to exploit and abuse it. I actually favored the alt dim but really despise ja+ but now i dont know what to think since ppl can slip in and out at will on frag servers with it.

points at amidalas post... HAHAHA

Teenage mutant nubzor admins!!!!

Archived