Home

FanArt & Participation

Valkian

Okay I'm going to talk about FanArt more seriously.

I never said I hate fan art, in fact I did lots of things that could be considered fan art as a kid.

I learned to draw by drawing my favorite characters from TV series and comics.

My first novel or short story was just re-writing an existing story from a book and make in the first person (From the point of view of one of the characters).

When I was ten years old I did a series of Mortal Kombat comics (with horrible drawings) inspired by real Mortal Kombat comics and of course by the game from Ed Boon and John Tobias.

So in my opinion fan art (or whatever you want to call it) is a great way for starting yourself in any art form. But that’s it, you can’t copy other artist ideas forever if you want to become an artist.

If someday (soon I hope) I publish a book, I wouldn’t like seeing fan sites doing fan fiction with the characters I created in the worlds and contexts I created. And most of the authors I read don’t like that either.

As I said, fan art and fan fiction are not bad, but it’s like drugs, once you have some it’s hard to quit. And fan art doesn’t add much to art. Art needs creative an original people to come up with their own original and creative concepts.

So I, as an artist, don’t want to encourage something that doesn’t do any good to art. Fan art is not bad, but is not good enough either.

Since the very beginning The Dig Museum had as a philosophy to have only official material. Though there might be slightly exceptions, fan art is not one of them.

I’ve seen one or two guys (and girls) who did some very interesting The Dig art, but they didn’t submit it to our site, I just found it digging around the web.

So far nobody has asked us or sent us any fan art on any art form. So I guess if someday I receive let’s say… 5 to 10 or more proposals or submissions of fan art, then I guess I could consider that possibility. Until then I guess there is no point on arguing about this.

How could a fan participate on The Dig Museum if it has a philosophy of “no fan art”?

Well, I have considered this since the very beginning of the site. Visitors are going to be able to submit their own The Dig reviews to be posted in the REVIEWS section.

More recently I’ve been creating a new section where visitors can share their The Dig experiences. What’s that? Well, for me playing The Dig was an unforgettable experience, and I would like to describe how was the very first day I played it and what where the things I was feeling, therefore telling my The Dig experience. So The Dig Museum is going to have a section where visitors can submit their own The Dig experiences.

Is there anything else to say? Mmmh…no, I think that’s all.

Oh, yes.

During the past six months, I’ve been doing almost nothing but working on The Dig Museum, working really hard.

So if you put yourselves in my position from a few seconds, you’ll understand why I piss off when I see grumpy people complaining about everything.

- SERIOUSNESS OVER

- IMMATURENESS ALERT!

Now it seems that everyone can do a The Dig site! There have passed 10 years since the release of The Dig! And there wasn’t a single serious The Dig site. Now that I come here doing something good, everyone can do it better. THE HELL WITH THAT!

Dear Grumpy Minorities that hide behind nicknames, and live in the dark corners of forums,

EAT MY PANTS!

You disgusting, pathetic rats, why in the hell don’t you buy yourself a decent life? Why you don’t start yourself in fire and though yourself through a window? I would love to shoot on your leg, so you would have to hear me sing Christmas songs until you can’t take it anymore!

Well, that’s enough for now.

- IMMATURENESS OVER

- SERIOUSNESS ALERT!

Sorry about that, but I mean it. Anyway, you can ignore that part of the post. If anyone has anything else (serious) to say, they are welcomed…

Finally a serious post that I can reply to without fuming. Thanks.

I understand your point now, but I still have to disagree. Let me explain as rationally as I can.

So in my opinion fan art (or whatever you want to call it) is a great way for starting yourself in any art form. But that’s it, you can’t copy other artist ideas forever if you want to become an artist.

It takes a talented artist to be able to draw good fan art. And I don't think fan art is copying, unless you look at an official picture and draw it down line by line. When one draws GOOD fan art, one should be able to create new positions and expressions for the characters, while remaining true to the original source. If one can draw good fan art, then it's a 90% chance that one can also draw good original art.

If someday (soon I hope) I publish a book, I wouldn’t like seeing fan sites doing fan fiction with the characters I created in the worlds and contexts I created. And most of the authors I read don’t like that either.

That's entirely respectable (I want to publish a book in the future too, by the way). I would be deeply honoured if someone loved my creations enough to base fanwork on them, but I won't jump on anyone if they disagree with that.

It's also considered polite to stop creating fan work (or at least posting it online) if the copyright owner doesn't like it. There are several authors, like Anne Rice, who don't appreciate fanfiction. But then there are people like J.K. Rowling, who think that's it's an honour -- as long as sex stories are kept on sites where children can't access them. ;)

There is also fan work that is so absolutely horrible that it makes me sick to think about it. I'd give you a link to a site dedicated to mocking bad art and stories, but I don't know if you'd find it amusing.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the creators of The Dig think about fanfiction and art? Do they approve, disapprove or not care at all?

I like the idea of people being able to submit their own reviews. That's great as every fan has a different opinion. Those will be interesting to read.

I haven't been complaining about everything, you know. I like the trailers, for example.

It took me a while to realise what you meant by the immature part. I can tell you at once that I could not make a better site than you, because I suck at HTML and web page building. I'm only offering criticism when I see something I don't like. It's my right as a visitor to do that, and you have the right to react in any way you like. Sorry, I just couldn't ignore that part... :p

I feel pretty relieved that no one is arguing anymore, at least at this point. It makes me tired.

EDIT: Your moderator powers seem to have kicked in again. :)

I asked Bill Tiller (Lead artist on The Dig) about FanArt but I'm going to tell you what he told me later, we talked a lot about lot's of thing, and I'm still processing the info in my brain, so maybe tomorrow I will tell you what he told me.

I had to admit I don't feel any different by having my Moderator powers back... I wonder why is that?

I also enjoy discussing this topics in a relaxed way.

P.S: I also read Harry Potter, there I'd said it. Yeah! Ravenclaw rules!

Weeeeeeell. Let’s jump right into it.

Bill Tiller likes fan art. “Some of it it’s real good” and he said that when someone does fan art based on some of his work he takes it like a compliment. But in fact that doesn’t surprises me.

What really disturbed me was when we (he actually) started talking about The Dig development, designers, the gaming industry, etc.

So I just ended up throwing names at him (game designer names) and he would tell me “things” about that person. “Things” I didn’t want to know…

So I guess Bill is a very honest and very sincere person. Really cool guy.

Anyway, it doesn’t change the way I think about fan art. Some fan art could be awesome, but I still prefer something new, original and creative.

I’m not against fan art, but I certainly won’t encourage it. So if with time I receive fan art, then I may consider doing a fan art gallery.

BUT if I do have a fan art gallery, I will only put the fan art that is really good.

Originally posted by Valkian

So if with time I receive fan art, then I may consider doing a fan art gallery.

BUT if I do have a fan art gallery, I will only put the fan art that is really good.

That's fair enough. ;)

I am glad to hear that Mr. Tiller is such a nice person. It makes me really hope that AVS turns out to be a big success. Not that I wasn't drooling on that one before this, mind you.

Archived