Home

Misson load times!!

3dmike

Can anyone help? When I used to play XWA on a P2 300 it took about 20 seconds to load a mission. i.e to get from pressing "enter hangar" to arriving in the cockpit, giving me just enough time to review the mission briefing. My brand new hotrod machine with a 52 speed CD drive, 1 gig of DDRAM a 1.8 Gig CPU etc..... takes around five minutes to load a mission! What's going on? I know the drive is fine as it benchmarks up to its full speed and transfer rate. The pc is fast as hell at everything else but just takes too long to load XWA levels. Help me if you can.

Mike

My hardware spec is:

AMD TBird 1.4 watercooled & stable at 1.8Ghz

1 Gb Micron SDRAM

Abit K266 motherboard

Creative Geforce2 GTS 32Mb DDR

2*30Gb Western digital 7200rpm ATA100 HDDs (RAID 0)

SB Live! 5.1

Sony 40Speed CDROM

Toshiba 52*CDROM

IOmega ZipCD

Etc.....

Running win ME.

The "Obscene" amount of RAM is used for rendering 3D studio scenes and inimations. It's the RAM that really speeds up rendering times.

But why oh why does it take ages to load a mission?

Guest Darth Massacator

How much virtual memory are you allocating? Or are you letting windows manage it. Also, and I hate saying it 'cuz you kinda sound like you know a bit about pc's, are you religiously defragging your h/d?

My virtual memory is set to half my RAM, i.e 512Mb. This is a fixed size file which rarely gets used, Adding "Conservative swapfile usage=1" to the win.ini file stops windows using the swapfile until ALL RAM has been used, because as we know windows memory management sucks.

I of course defrag my RAID array every couple of days, or when I've installed/deleted a big prog.

I guess it's just one of them weird computer mysteries!?

Archived