Home

Separating the pilot and engineer classes?

Dagobahn Eagle

Here is one thing I never really understood in Battlefront:

Why do pilots repair vehicles? Why do pilots set up and repair laser emplacements? Pilots belong in the air flying fighters, not on the ground deploying defences and conducting maintenance work on vehicles.

So pilots give, say, an agility bonus to the fighters they fly and repair them over time, but they don't run around and repair vehicles and set up turbo lasers.

A separate engineer class handles these things, as well as setting up obstacles, demolition charges, mines, etc. In short: He handles all the "engineer stuff".

Who's with me?

Well I think I might be a little confused about it but I think that pilots should still be able to fix vehicles and stuff because they "pilot" them. They were trained for the job and they know the best about that machine so they know how to fix it in the field when there aren't any engineers near by. I do agree with the lasers though. I think engineers should be able to do that.

Maybe engineers should be allowed to fix things also?

Yeah I think this is a good idea, give the engineers a pistol, mines and a fushion cutter, and make pilots the only ones who can pilot star fighters, this has always bugged me I can understand anyone being able to pilot say a tank or speeder bike but star fighters take training to operate. Also I think pilots should keep there vehicle repairing capabilities.

What units should make up the engineer class? I think that those guys with the white uniforms and the white helmets in the Yavin base in the first star wars movie could be the rebels, maybe gunners (the guys with the weird helmets, the ones that cover there entire face) or imperial navy troopers for the empire but what about the droids/clones?

Er, why would there be a pilot somewhere on the battle field where there is no engineer?

And pilots know how to repair fighters, and they don't even do that - they leave it to mechanics, as you well know. It wouldn't surprise me at all if even the relatively simple World War II fighters couldn't be fixed by their pilots.

And if there is an engineer class, of course he should be able to repair things. Pilots only fly, Engineers handle engineering. Don't even give me the pilot class on maps with no aircraft.

this has always bugged me I can understand anyone being able to pilot say a tank or speeder bike but star fighters take training to operate. Also I think pilots should keep there vehicle repairing capabilities.

Tanks can be tough to use, too, I heard. But then again, I've also heard they aren't too different from cars when it comes to driving. I don't own a tank and I don't have a tank license, so I don't know:confused: .

lol you're right, maybe pilots should be the only ones who can drive tanks, I guess it would give the pilots a much more active role considering there repairing duties will be givin to the engineer, it might be annoying, maybe pilots are the only ones that can drive but anyone can man a gunners position? There is one question however: who gets the Health/Ammos dispenser?

One option is to make a medic class but this sounds a bit to specialized to me, most medics in star wars were droids anyway. I say that the Heath/Ammo dispenser should be a equipable item, whoever has it gets a shoulder patch, or some kind of distinguishing marking, marking him as the "Medic man" So he can go about doing his normal soldierly duties but also has the responsibility of making sure his mates are healed and supplied after the dust has settled. Each side would have the same ammount of dispensers and would have to use them effectivly. Im saying this because quite frankly the H/A dispenser really didnt fit the pilots class and it wouldnt fit the engineers class either.

Which idea sounds better? having a specialized class or it just falls to whoever wants to take responsibility, bots would grab it if players dont so the packs wont completely go to waste if no one feels like grabbing them.

I didn't say that only pilots should drive tanks, friend.

As for the medic class, that's a good idea, too. I can live with pilots repairing vehicles, but pilots healing people? What on Earth?!

Have a medic with a medi-kit that can heal people at close range. The kit recharges over time. A whole lot more fun and realistic than dropping canisters all over the map, and it worked just swell in the BF series. Of course, you'll need to give the medic weapons, too, or it'll be sort of boring playing him.

...But that's a different discussion. Let's get back on topic.

wats next, pilots performing surgery on the battlefield, givin u a loli pop y u die painfully? thas sick!

back to reality....

True True, i was wondering y piots could heal too, but never debated it cuz there were other things in the game that needed fixing n i think were more important than the pilot/medic fiasco!

I do agree on that only pilots should fly starfighters n the such cuz its how it should be. but the whole engineer things sounds to me like its not important. dont get me wrong i think it adds mo' realism to the game but my gut feeling tells me pandemic is not going to do anything about this n they most likely are going to leave the pilot as the engineer/medic/nurse/lolipop dispenser.

-May the force be with us all. :ewok:

Of course, this does make a ton of extra classes that are all going to get wiped out very fast and have little use in most battles.

Of course, this should make CIS very, very interesting. I mean, Droid medic, droid engineer? Most of the droid vehicles are droids themselves!

Yeah adding an additional class for every little job sounds like overkill, but i think an engineer would work, he would be a more behind the scenes kind of guy who doesnt usually go into enemy territory but makes sure the base is defended by setting up equipment, and laying mines, maybe they should give him explosives to? Like the time bomb only these explosives would be detonated at will like in Battlefield. Also give the engineers more jobs, like if doors are implimented the engineer would be the guy who blows the door open, or hotwires the lock so it opens, Maybe each map would have a radar system by a certain command post

Controlling 1 radar allows you to see ally units

Controlling 2 radars allows you to see enemy units.

Of course destroying radars would be a priority so you would always want an engineer on hand in case they break down. Also if they add Equipable extra weapons (I can always hope) it could be the engineers job to set them up for other classes to use, also engineers should have the ability to repair turrets while manning them like the pilot can repair vehicles. But he is only armed with a simple blaster pistol, just to defend himself if the situation gets rough.

Then you make the pilot the only one who can fly starfighters and you almost force players to use them, pilots would be armed with only pistols, (I say we take away there original weapons and give 'em to another class, or make them bonas weapons you can pick up) If done right the pilot and engineer could be two separate classes.

However adding a medic class seems kind of like overkill, Seeing as in star wars most medics are droids anyway, I like the idea of having self appointed medics, whoever grabs the dispenser is the medic, No need for extra classes that way. But this whole medic thing is off topic anyway so lets get back to the engineers.

Sounds very decent, but I doubt it'd be implemented.

Very Team Fortess actually, sounds too good. By the way, I'd limit pilots to vehicles, period not just aircraft (otherwise, why is the Imp Yavin pilot not wearing a spacesuit!)

Your probably right but we can always hope... if enough people say they want it then someones bound to listen.

Limiting pilots to vehicles might be a good idea, but some people might be really opposed to it. However if it is by some lucky chance implemented then I say speeder bikes, STAPS, and ridable wildlife should still be available to anyone.

It could work. Having too many classes can also be annoying.

I have personnally no problem with limiting vehicles to pilots only. In fact, it could bring a whole new gameplay perspective on the specialization of the classes. If they implement special transportation vehicles, the pilot's uses could be even greater.

If we have an engineer class, mines and exp pack should be given to him and removed from the anti-tank class.

The medic kit sounds great. Enginers should be able to build things, and when they were talking about building things I thought the Pilots could go somewhere and make a Turret, but you had to go to special places. That made me mad. Maybe give the Engineer special weapons, like say he goes to a base and picks up a Turret kit, then he gets very slowly, but can set one up where ever he wants, after that he heads back to base.

is'nt three a bit to much? Because then after a while the whole map will be full of gun turrets. You can do something like the build turret ammo, but i think it has to be only one ammo. And that you do something quit similiar to the 'deploying mines' (they explode when you use more than 5 mines). That way it should work.:)

There's nothing wrong with the class in balance compared to the others... The only thing wrong with it is the name. "Engineer" would be a lot better since most of his duties don't belong to a pilot. Or "fixer", "tech guy", "tech wizard"...

There's nothing wrong with the class in balance compared to the others... The only thing wrong with it is the name. "Engineer" would be a lot better since most of his duties don't belong to a pilot. Or "fixer", "tech guy", "tech wizard"...

Or "Support".

I was disappointed that you couldn't build gun turrets where-ever you wanted them, either. Let the engineer deploy one per life, anywhere, and let that be that. When he dies, his turret is destroyed, thus preventing him from deploying one suiciding, deploying another, repeating...

That sounds like a good idea. But for everyone who wants a medic class, why not combine an engineer and a medic into one class? Granted, it wouldn't be that realistic, but it would be a good excuse for another class. Also, I'm getting sick and tired of people saying "Battlefront II should be like Battlefield 1942 'cause it has...." or "It should be like Galactic Conquest since...." Let me say one thing folks:Battlefront isn't the Battlefield series or any related mods! If it was, it would be called "Battlefield Star Wars" with all of the stuff from Galactic Conquest. I really like Battlefront because there aren't a million features in it that I will rarely use. Galactic Conquest is preferred by many because the people who work on it can change it on a dime, but it takes a while for developers to update since they are on time restrictions. So enough is enough!

maybe the turrets could be pre placed on the map like they are now but engineers can build them or pick them up, move them and set them up wherever they want, so theres still a limited number but if the engineer dies then the turret is still useful to other troops. If the turret is destroyed then it respawns by its original command post like a vehicle.

Or they could make two kinds of turrets, sationary, like they have now, and mobile, these would begin undeployed around a command post and would require an engineer to set up, once set up however anyone can carry them into battle on there back and set them up anywhere. These turrets would be more useful strategicly but would lack the forward protection of the stationary turret.

another use for the engineer class could be disarming mines, I dont really like how you can just shoot them and they just sort of disappear, I say that sure, you can shoot a mine but it will explode so you had better be careful. Or an engineer could use his fushion cutter to carefully disarm the mine.

Archived