Home

Psychonauts Audio Ripper

What is Psychonauts Audio Ripper?

A program that enables you to rip the music and sounds from both the full and demo versions of the excellent game Psychonauts.

It will work with both the pc and xbox versions. For the xbox version though you'll obviously have to get the .wxb wavebank (and optionally) the .xsb soundbank files onto your pc. See 'Getting the xbox files onto your pc' below for more on this.

The .xsb soundbank files are not strictly necessary, they allow the ripper to use the original names for the dumped files. If they are located in the same folder as their corresponding wavebank file then they will be used.

What do I need to use this?

Apart from the datafiles (.isb for the pc and .xwb and .xsb for the xbox) you will need to install the Xbox ADPCM Codec. You can get it here.

New in this version

• Enabled music ripping again.
  • Even more fixes to ripping from the Xbox version. Most files should now play correctly, however there are still some files that dump incorrectly and do not play eg those in the 'commontemp' file.

Getting the Xbox files onto your pc

Install a modchip in your Xbox, network the Xbox and Pc together and transfer files via ftp.

Current Version is 1.2

Read the readme here

Download it here

Man, yet another excellent tool released from the development studio that brought us the Grim Fandango launcher, ScummVM Q&E, and many more!

Great work Ben, I can see it'll serve me well once the game comes out. Tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I've googled (and yahoo'd and other thing'd) the Xbox ADPCM Codec, and haven't been able to find any downloads, or even very much mention of it... any clues as to where you found it?

(Side note: Wow, this place has a ton of smilies...)

Are you ripping xbox files or pc ones? The XBox ripping is a bit dodgy in the current version, it'll be fixed in the new version which should be out soon.

Have you installed the codec correctly and set its priority to 1 as its readme says?

What file are you trying to rip the sounds from?

First of all, thanks so much for putting this together!

I tried it just now with the full Xbox game and was unable to even find a .wxb file on my Xbox disc. The only folder seems to be for the video that plays when you put an Xbox disc in a PC, telling you, "Hey dummy! Put this in your Xbox, not the computer!"

Obviously there's more than 13MB of data on the disc, but nothing else shows up. I run Windows XP Home (SP2), and have folder properties set to show hidden files and folders. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

amishler: you cant read xbox disks normally on a pc. I have heard that you can use a tool such as Xiso to read an xbox cd to an xbox iso and extract files that way. You'd be better off waiting for the next version of the audio ripper though, since its quite wonky with xbox files at the moment.

Mystrunner: tell me what the file is and I'll look into it.

While I certainly reccommend supporting Tim Schafer's excellent work in any and all ways possible, I have to admit I'm holding off on that international shipping myself... and to that end, I'd also like to mention that Dragon Unpacker works just fine - no special tools necessary.

Until you get to the point where you have to splice together music cuts because the files themselves are set up for seamless looping, that is. And I may have downloaded that ADPCM at some point prior, so your mileage may vary. And I have no idea how this would handle the xbox version. But, er, enjoy!

Alien also posted about using Dragon Unpacker earlier, but I edited it out.

It would be far better if everyone went and bought the soundtrack, and in an ideal world people would at least wait a while and allow the soundtrack to sell before posting about ripping music.

The cats out of the bag now though I suppose. Yes Dragon Unpacker will rip the oggs from the pc version, but not the xbox version where the music is stored in a wavebank without any standard file headers. I'll release a new version of my ripper with the music enabled and some xbox fixes soon.

I combined my order with other Psychonauts / Double Fine merchandise and also bought two CDs so the shipping price didn't look as bad as you make it seem, bbj. There are way worse charges by some other shops (Blizzard, I'm looking in your direction -- 40 $!) and a lot don't even ship outside the US.

I've released a new version - see the 1st post for more information and the download link.

I've re-enabled music ripping and made more fixes to xbox files. Most xbox audio should play correctly now (music and voice) There are still some files (mainly fx) that appear to be in a different format though. These will have a length of 0 seconds when you play them.

Excellence. I've just finished creating my own version of the soundtrack CD, utilising pretty much every track the game has to offer thanks to your music ripper. It's taken me all bloody evening though, having to put together the various cues and such in SoundForge.

It sounds pretty much perfect, though. This game has such an awesome soundtrack. Sorry about not buying the official copy DF, but I'm totally broke! :~

Archived