Home

GameSpot Review is up

Yeah, not bad at all.

They do seem a bit gripey though - I guess they took points off mainly because the reviewer thought the game was too easy (the minor bugs pointed out in the review don't seem enough to warrant knocking 1.2/10 off the score) - but it's about the score I was expecting from GameSpot.

GameSpot sure has gotten a lot better over the last few years, but one of their remaining problems (in my opinio)n was that they held back a bit when it came to reviewing more original titles. (something like 9.8 for Halo and 8.2 for BG&E for example.) If this Psychonauts review is anything to go by it looks like they finally might be getting more comfortable with less mainstream games. 8.8 from GameSpot is an excellent score, and hopefully more people will discover the game as a result.

Also, 8.4 for the PC version.

Yes, GameSpot have a colourful history of having scores which don't particularly reflect the content of the review itself. I mean, they really didn't have any negative things to say about the game at all, apart from some extremely minor bugs which will probably be patched out quickly, plus the "lack of a gamepad" issue.

The PC version costs considerably lesser than the console versions anyway, so why not use that extra cash to get a console -> PC controller converter, or just a controller?

But yeah, I've seen far more negative points in other games' reviews, even though they've scored in the 9.x range. This just further proves my belief in that game scores should be totally eradicated from existence. All they do is encourage lazy purchasing decisions, and misinform people.

I'm a game reviewer, and sometimes a game can be presented extremely well, but just lacks fun. While it seems unlikely, maybe this reviewer didn't find the game fun, even though the graphics, dialogue, music etc were all great.

Sometimes it's hard to put a final score on a game. For example, I gave Children of the Nile (a strategy game) 82% which is quite a good score, even though the presentation was a bit on the poor side, there were graphical errors, bugs and more. Why? Because I really enjoyed it! So even though the review was pretty negative the whole way through, it got a good mark in the end. It's hard to articulate how something can be good even though most of it is bad.

I suspect the reviewer went through the categories breaking down the graphics, sound etc and giving it a good review, but when he sat back and really took in the game as a whole, he felt it only deserved 88%. Or maybe there was another reason. Who knows.

When I get the game, if its as funny and original as the demo (and press preview they sent me) it'll get at least 95%.

Originally posted by XandraX

I'm a game reviewer, and sometimes a game can be presented extremely well, but just lacks fun. While it seems unlikely, maybe this reviewer didn't find the game fun, even though the graphics, dialogue, music etc were all great.

I suspect the reviewer went through the categories breaking down the graphics, sound etc and giving it a good review, but when he sat back and really took in the game as a whole, he felt it only deserved 88%. Or maybe there was another reason. Who knows.

When I get the game, if its as funny and original as the demo (and press preview they sent me) it'll get at least 95%.

I doubt the reviewer didn't find the game fun. If you watch the video review, he constantly mentions that the game doesn't have a dull moment, and that you constantly feel like you're doing something new.

Also, if you check out the various scores he gave it, you'll notice he tiltet the final score up by giving it 10/10 in Tilt.

The reason for the "low" (I'm not saying it's a bad score, though) score is that he only gave it 7/10 in value for some reason.

Originally posted by James Isaac

Wow, good review, 10/10 for 'Tilt' is great :). Not sure why it got 7/10 for value though... I thought it was a big game with lots of variety.

As the reviewer pointed out, you can complete the game in 15 hours if you skip all the optional stuff. I guess that in the eyes of game reviewers means the game has less value. Of course it can take up to like 40 hours if you go and talk to everyone and complete the optional stuff...

I'm not sure why people play platformers if all they want to do is finish it as quickly as possible.

I like the exploration and enjoy finding every nook and cranny the creators have put in there. Erm, of course, I'm thinking more of platformers like Banjo-Kazooie or Banjo-Tooie, and not Donkey Kong 64.

I am a reviewer also, and I think they have not done an excellent job motivating why they've knocked off 1.2 points. In the video review, he even says, explicitly, that "you're going to enjoy every minute of it".

Every! Minute! :D

I have only played the demo so in no way am I suggesting that the game is actually perfect or anything, I'm just saying, they're not really telling us what is bad about it. Unless it is all the shortness...?

Archived