Home

I can't decide!

Okay, the time has come... Psychonauts is here... But I can't decide which version to get! Xbox or PC?

I'm not concerned about money, I'll pay whatever to get the best. I have a gamepad for my PC, and the demo runs really great on my PC, with just a few slowdowns in some larger areas.

Are there any special reasons why one version would be better than another? I'm only getting one, and I want the best.

I'd go with the PC. It has smaller loading times, higher resolution textures, and will also benefit from the ability to be patched easily should any bugs pop up. Not only that, but it's easier to preserve your memories with screenshots on the PC, as well as make use of the various utilities which I'm sure will become available for the game. Heck, the demo's barely out and Benny's already created a sound ripper. :)

It depends on the capabilities of your computer.

Well, my computer's pretty fast. I can run the demo on 800x600 resolution, with all the settings activated except for the Anti-aliasing (there's just something about it I don't like), and it runs really great, with just some minor slowdowns, such as when I'm looking at the entire campground, it slows down a bit. I think I'll probably get the PC version, but I'm still open to persuasion.

I think you should go with the PC version, think about this:

Rumours say that xbox2 isn't backwards compatible. So, if this is indeed true -> if something happens to your xbox1 -> u can't play psychonauts anymore!

PC doesn't have this problem. I'm still playing games like Grim Fandango here...

Ahh, that's a good point. And PCs are only gonna get better as time goes on. Hell, do you know what I played yesterday? Day of the Tentacle, and then the Psychonauts demo!

Still... the Xbox version was always the planned version, and the one that Double Fine intended... and PCs are more likely to screw up than consoles. Whenever my computer is screwed up and I can't play games (like what happened a few days ago) I had to rely on my consoles for gaming sustainance. What I wouldn't have given for Psychonauts on Xbox then.

Oh, and if you want backwards-compatibility with the Xbox 360, you have to buy the better version of the console. The bog-standard version doesn't have it. Still, what's the harm of keeping the normal Xbox around? My N64 is still sitting above my TV, next to my GameCube.

What version am I getting though? The PC version. Why? Because I don't know whether the Xbox US version will be region-free, and I can run the demo perfectly.

Hope that helps.

:amidala:

Well, Gamespot's review scores are debatable but they're pretty good when it comes to comparing platform versions. It sounds like the differences are mostly the expected stuff. PC has better textures, faster load times, whatever. Apparently (You can judge for yourself from the demo, I found this to be true) mouse and keyboard, while passable, just don't control nearly as well as a gamepad. And even if you use a USB gamepad the camera is ocassionaly an issue on PC, wheras it isn't on Xbox. Also, the PC apparently had some audio bugs, which will presumably be fixed with a patch.

My Xbox broke so I pre-ordered PC.

Archived