Home

Which mod to use - specifics?

mythren

Alright, so I've been out of the JK thing for quite a while. I played JK2 relegiously online though...so I may or may not (the latter, probably :) ) be recognized :).

Anyway, picked up JA, and want to run a little LAN game similair to what I used to in JK...

It was a Jedi V Merc server, but giving the mercs little advantages such as jetpacks and grappling hooks (I'd prefer jetpack, seeing as grappling an unreachable spot for sabers and sniping is a favorite of mercs). Also, fun little things like Dual-wielding pistols or a Flamethrower (these are just things I've read as being in mods...correct me if I'm wrong) advantages would also be nice.

I've got both Jedi Plus and the OJP mods...and of the two I like the OJP more for what I'm trying to accomplish, but can't find a jetpack or grappling hook anywhere in the cvars (which I don't know how to navigate very well, so I may be wrong)...and with the Jedi Plus mod, there was a mappable key option for JPs and Hooks, but I couldn't find out how to activate the JP, and the hook was available to everyone, Jedi included.

Anyway - if it can be done with either of these mods, excellent...could someone point out how? And if not - is there one out there that does, or am I stuck with rebuilding a JK2 server?

Thanks in advance!

I know two mods you would love:

ForceMod III http://fm.mt-wudan.com/

and

Movie Battles II http://www.moviebattles.com/

They are perfect for LAN games. Far more sophisticated than Jedi vs. Merc, both are class-based mods.

ForceMod III has 29 different classes, each with specific weapons and special capabilities. Movie Battles II combines class-based warfare with Siege-type objectives.

Check out both and use both. Make sure you get the 1.01 patch for ForceMod III, and the latest version of Movie Battles II.

for mod things,

if you really want to make a real enhanced jedi vs merc with a extended class system, i suggest FM3 more than movie battle...

FM3 is a real mod with a lot of coding whereas movie battle is very poor in code enhancement and is mainly some pretty nice siege maps....

now as a coder, i prefer FM3 because i am more interested in coding feature than siege map...

now it is just a question of point view....

PS : this is not the mod 's name "jedi plus" but JA+....

JA+ has also a jedi vs merc extention but not class system as you have in FM3

I'm absolutely loving FM3...has *exactly* what I was looking for.

The guys who wanted to play hardcore mercs are all playing Mandalorians, and being the saber-loving guy I am, I'm playing a Jedi Aurorian (sp?) and it's working out awesomely...one guy has taken up the Ancient One class, using no real weaponry (well, melee) and all force powers...and he's getting pretty good with it.

Only issue now is that we're a little bored with stock maps, is there a mappack with extraoridinarily good maps that someone could point me in the direction of, or maybe just a list (urls would be handy too...but I'm not so lazy as to not go find them myself if I have to :p ) of good maps?

Thanks again! This mod is really breathing new life into the JA scene for me!

For anyone interested the latest beta (17) of moviebattles is up for download from the official site, http://www.moviebattles.com

i think you would find some original coding in there, and im not talking about admin commands that make players sink into the ground or some other balls :rolleyes:

i wish you would play MBII for a moment slider, instead of looking at pretty screenshots, however demanding that may be for you, you might realise MB has completely remade the whole game hence its "Total Conversion" status.

pretty nice to hear

because the lastest time i play MB2 it was mainly siege map with very few code enhancement (i mean C/C++ things)....

i was thinking MB2 would make what Battlefront made...but in JKA....

it would be nice

when i have more time i will perhaps come to play on MB2....

i am sorry if i hurted you saying MB2 does not have a lot of code enhancement as i didn't play on the lastest version of MB2...

So sorry if i hurted you it was not what i wanted to do....

sorry for my english, i don't always find the good words to express myself and somtimes other misunderstand me....

thats np, its just when you starts "flaming" the mod we all work so hard on, it puts a lot of people off it without them even looking at it

you must of played MB2 during one of the very early beta versions, i think if you played it now you would get a pleasent suprise;)

yea i just came on your website to see all the readme

and this is true that you just put some nice code enhancement inside the lastest version

so sorry to say thing without coming to see the lastest mod......

i just acted like choosen one pretending jA+ is an admin mod while admin mod things are 5% of the whole code inside jA+....

so let me excuse me for what i said....

so let me excuse me for what i said....

No worries Slider :)

I've seen the latest preview video of JA+, and gotta say, looks like you've got some nice new stuff in there. Congrats. And I like the new direction your trying to take with the mod as a whole...

Let me assure you that MB2 also has plenty of code modification. Lots and lots of it. The only thing is a lot of it is in the gameplay, which you can't really see straight away from screenshots, so you'd really have to try it out to see the extent of it...

...we are NOT just a bunch of siege maps ;)

...and I'm actually good mates with Azymn (when I see him around that is). We've shared code and ideas on many occasions. I've always been impressed with his work, and I think if you were to ask him, he'd tell you your first comment on MB2 in this thread wasn't accurate ;)

P.S. Razor, the 'source' code' will be on your way shortly, probably tonight...

Originally posted by mythren

Only issue now is that we're a little bored with stock maps, is there a mappack with extraoridinarily good maps that someone could point me in the direction of, or maybe just a list (urls would be handy too...but I'm not so lazy as to not go find them myself if I have to :p ) of good maps?

There is no "Greatest Hits" map pack, but I suggest:

1. Start with the JA Bonus Maps and Siege Star Destroyer Map from Raven Software.

2. Go to http://www.pcgamemods.com/5/ On the left side of the page are the "Staff Picks" for mods, including maps. That's a good place to start. Any "Staff Picked" map there is worth looking at.

3. Go to http://jediknight2.filefront.com/files/Jedi_Knight_III/Maps;2951 and sort each category by Downloads, Descending to see which maps are most popular. However, popular doesn't mean good, and fewer downloads doesn't mean bad. Look at the screenshots, read the reviews, and judge for yourself.

4. Go to http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=reviews&game=JA to see maps reviewed by other mappers. They tend to judge maps based upon design and aesthetics, rather than gameplay, but there are lots of good leads there.

Archived