Home

Star Wars Celebration III

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Star Wars Celebration III :clap2:

http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/swchome.aspx?file=swc

Scheduled to appear are:

Amy Allen, Aayla Secura, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith

Kenny Baker, credited as R2-D2 in all 6 films of the saga: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.

David Barclay, Jabba Puppeteer, Return of the Jedi.

Caroline Blakiston, Mon Mothma, Return of the Jedi.

Jerome Blake, Mos Amedda, Orn Free Taa, Rune Haako, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.

Paul Blake, Greedo, A New Hope.

Michonne Bourriague, Aurra Sing, The Phantom Menace.

Ralph Brown, Ric Olié, The Phantom Menace.

Jeremy Bulloch, Boba Fett, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the

Jedi. Captain Colton, Revenge of the Sith.

Sean Crawford, Yakface and mime artist, Return of the Jedi.

Sandi Finlay, Sly Moore, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Garrick Hagon, Biggs Darklighter, A New Hope.

Christine Hewitt, Brea Tonnika (One of the Tonnika twins), A New Hope.

Gerald Home, Tessek (Squid Head), Return of the Jedi.

Jesse Jensen, Saesee Tiin, Attack of the Clones.

Zach Jensen, Kit Fisto, Attack of the Clones.

Michael Kingma, Tarfful, Revenge of the Sith.

Nalini Krishan, Barriss Offee, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.

Jay Laga'aia, Captain Typho, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones

Richard Le Parmentier, Admiral Motti, A New Hope.

Bai Ling, Senator Bana Breemu, Revenge of the Sith.

Ian Liston, Wes Janson, The Empire Strikes Back.

Daniel Logan, young Boba Fett, Attack of the Clones.

Jake Lloyd, Anakin Skywalker, The Phantom Menace

Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Revenge of the Sith.

Shannon McRandle, Mara Jade, Star Wars trading card game.

Temuera Morrison, Jango Fett, Attack of the Clones; Commander Cody and miscellaneous clones, Revenge of the Sith.

Rena Owen, Taun We, Attack of the Clones, and Senator Nee Alavar, Revenge of the Sith.

Mary Oyaya, Luminara Unduli, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith.

Ray Park, Darth Maul, The Phantom Menace.

Toby Philpott, Jabba Puppeteer, Return of the Jedi.

David Prowse, original trilogy Darth Vader, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

Mike Quinn, Nien Nunb, Return of the Jedi.

Tim Rose, Admiral Ackbar, Return of the Jedi.

Alan Ruscoe, Plo Koon, Lott Dod, Daultay Dofine The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

Michael Sheard, Admiral Ozzel, The Empire Strikes Back.

Orli Shoshan, Shaak Ti, Attack of the Clones and i>Revenge of the Sith.

Bodie "Tihoi" Taylor, Clone Trooper, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Femi Taylor, Oola, Return of the Jedi and Return of the Jedi: Special Edition.

Leeanna Walsman, Zam Wesell, Attack of the Clones.

Billy Dee Williams, Lando Calrissian, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Simon Williamson, Max Rebo, Gamorrean Guard, Mon Calamari Officer, Return of the Jedi.

Matthew Wood, General Grievous, Revenge of the Sith; Dug Taxi Driver, Attack of the Clones; Bib Fortuna, The Phantom Menace.

Oh, and the writer and director of the Star Wars movies will be there, George something....

this is a story for the Jedi Archives.

My brother and his good friend went to Celebration III in Indiana, getting halfway thru Ohio, his car decides to crap out on him. He calls his wife and she drives out to the place he is at and him and his friend rent a mini-van. She gets the car back to New York and it needs a couple hundred dollars to fix it.

My brother and his friend go on their way to Indiana. After a few days they call and say that they will meet his wife at the Mall in Mentor, Ohio. She enlists my help to read directions and provide company on the ride out. So I go and we sit in the car for about and hour and a half waiting for them to arrive. While we were waiting, a mall security guy rolls up along side our car and asks us what we are doing and we tell him that we are waiting for my brother to arrive. He says ok and leaves. We forget about the window that dont work, which happens to be my side of the car, and it gets stuck half way down. We fiddle with the window for about 20 minutes and its snowing and cold. Finally the window goes up but while fiddling with the window, we forgot about gas and we were running low. So we barely make it to a gas station and fill the car up.

We head back to the mall in Mentor, and call my brother to see where he is and he says that they hit some bad weather including rain/snow, about a foot of slush on the roads. So they make it to the mall about 10 minutes after the call. They tell us to follow them to the Enterprise car rental place. We went up and down the main stretch of the road about three times before finding this place. So we start referencing the National Lampoon's European Vacation, when they get stuck in the round about. "Look kids, it's Big Ben." We find the place and finally get started on the trip home.

We left at about 3pm to Ohio and we were supposed to be home at around 9-10ish at night. We didnt get home until about 1:30 am.

And thats how my weekend went.

Originally posted by Darth Tepe

Waah! :(

Damn you Yankees! Why can't these conventions be in Finland sometimes...

...What Sivy said... :p

Because George Lucas lives in America? :p It probably has the biggest fan base too, but don't quote me on that. ;)

I wanna see Ray Park.

Darth Maul rocks.

The original Vader, Mara Jade, Lando, would be pretty cool to see.

I just don't want to be one of those people at conventions as shown in Robot Chicken

[Crowd around Leonard Nimoy, anxiously waiting for him to throw the symbol]

*sighs and does symbol*

WOOO WOOO! WOOOO! -- Is he... is he going to do it again?

• 3 weeks later...

This forum has a limit on the number of images per post, so I will have to break this up into multiple posts.

Sorry for the delay, here is my belated report from Star Wars Celebration III:

THURSDAY

They had two lines to let people in: a Star Wars Fan Club line that had doors that opened an hour early, and a line for everyone else. I joined the stupid fan club just to get in an hour earlier.

I got to the Indiana Convention Center at 11:30 AM. The Fan Club Line door opened at noon, and the non-Fan Club line door opened at 1 PM. I saw a huge line but I was relieved to discover it was the non-Fan Club line. Some volunteers dressed as Stormtroopers directed me to the Fan Club line.

The Fan Club line started at a different door, went down the street, around the corner, down the side of the building, and up some stairs to the back of the building. Then they had one of those mazes that folded the line back and forth, like at an amusement park. Then more line, then a second maze. Then more line and a third maze. Then the line continued, doubled back, went down some stairs, then wrapped around the RCA Dome.

Here is a shot after I had been standing in line for about an hour, at the point where the line doubles back. There are still the three mazes and thousands of people ahead of me.

FirstDayLine.jpg

I got in around 2 PM, two hours after the Fan Club door opened, and an hour after the non-Fan Club line door opened. They had tens of thousands of people entering through only two doors.

Inside, there was another line leading towards the souvenir store. Shortly after I got inside, they closed the line for the store. Oh well I thought, I can always go there tomorrow. I went to see the booths where people were selling things, and talked to some nice people at the LucasArts booth and saw a demo of Battlefront II.

Lots of people dressed up in impressive costumes, including a dead ringer for Episode III Anakin, Chewbacca with a broken-up C-3P0 on his back, and this frequently-photographed couple as Han and Leia

(notice that Han is getting his gun out as some guy is getting too friendly with Leia)

han_and_leia.JPG

FRIDAY

Friday morning started like Thursday, except it was raining. So after standing in the rain for over an hour, I got in. I went to the souvenir store line, but again they announced the line was "capped" and then the store was closed to more customers for the rest of the day (it was around 10 AM). It would take the rest of the day just to handle the people who were already in line.

I went over to the Lucasfilms archive exhibit where they had props and costumes from the movies. At first they wouldn't let people get in line because the fire marshall said that the line was too long, but eventually I got in line and then got in.

vader.jpg

vader_head.jpg

vader_chest.jpg

anakin.JPG

anakin_hand.JPG

padme.JPG

obi_wan.JPG

There was a room where people who build droids for fun showed off their projects. They also had the real R2D2 from Episodes I, II, and III there.

r2d2_0.jpg

r2d2_1.JPG

r2d2_2.JPG

r2d2_3.JPG

They showed the latest of a funny trilogy of fan films "The Return of Pink Five". You can see the first two episodes here http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/pink5 and here http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/content/pink5_strikes

Later that afternoon, I headed over to the ballroom where Ray Park (Darth Maul) was making an appearance. Of course, there was a line wrapping around the ballroom. Eventually they started letting people in. When there were around 15 people ahead of me, they stopped our line and starting feeding people in from some other line across from us. Dozens, then hundreds of people were herded in. Then they finally stopped that line, and the guy herding people told us "Cross lines!" We were directed to run across the the entrance of the ballroom, around the corner, then double back through one of those mazes so we ended up at the back of the other line that had been feeding in. Of course, when there were about 20 people left ahead of me they closed the doors and announced that the ballroom was full, no one else would be let in.

I ran into people who were finally getting out of the souvenir store, and asked them how long they waited in line. Seven hours was a typical answer.

George Lucas was scheduled to make a brief appearance Saturday morning. People were planning on getting in line at midnight, and it was still raining and there was a thunderstorm that night. There was no way I was going to camp out in the rain. And with the long waits just to get into the building, and after the Ray Park fiasco, I gave up hope of getting into the ballroom to see George Lucas. Maybe I could finally get into the souvenir store line while everyone else was trying to see George Lucas. But people told me they expected Saturday to be worse because all the people who couldn't get off of work Thursday and Friday would be coming Saturday and Sunday.

SATURDAY

Fortunately, the rain stoppped. I didn't bother trying to get to the Convention Center early, I just arrived at the time the doors were supposed to open. Amazingly, the line was much shorter and moved fairly quickly. As soon as I got into the building, someone was calling out "If you want to see George Lucas, get your armband here!". I grabbed an armband and ran over to the ballroom, and went right in! It had already started and George Lucas was taking questions from the audience.

george.JPG

He talked about things you may have already heard about: the possible Star Wars TV series, possible new Indiana Jones movie, etc. He said that R2D2 was the true hero of the saga because he always saved everyone every time they were in peril.

As soon as they herded us out of the ballroom I headed over to the souvenir store line. As usual, someone who worked for the convention company was there saying that the line was "capped" and there was no hope of getting in if you weren't already in line. But since the convention was so poorly run I had no reason to believe them, so I stood in line anyway.

storeline1.JPG

Slowly, in spasms, the line moved from time to time.

storeline2.JPG

After two hours, I finally made it inside the store area! Then people were herded into one of three maze-like lines that went back and forth. It took about 1 hour to advance a row in the zig-zag line.

storeline3.JPG

During that time, they announced the latest items they were sold out of. Even though it was only Saturday and the convention was barely half over, they were sold out of almost everything. There were thousands of people inside the store area with money to spend, and the people running the convention didn't bring enough stuff to sell. They missed out on dozens of thousands of dollars in lost sales.

It was also obvious why things moved so slowly. They had only a dozen or so cashiers to service the 7,000 people inside the store. Not enough merchandise and not enough cashiers. Even though there was little to buy, people didn't want to walk out empty-handed after wasting most of the day standing in line for a chance to buy something. People were delirious by the time they got to a counter and just bought whatever they had left. I spent a total of seven hours standing in line to get into and out of the souvenir store.

After that I caught the last part of an appearance by Jake Lloyd (young Anakin). Then they had a panel with (left to right) Jesse Jensen (Saesee Tiin), Mary Oyaya (Luminara Unduli), Orli Shoshan (Shaak Ti), Amy Allen (Aayla Secura),and Zach Jensen (Kit Fisto).

jedi1.jpg

The MC, Warwick Davis from Willow asked them a bunch of Jedi trivia, of which they knew next to nothing. Then he asked them to demonstrate various lightsaber forms and moves, of which they knew even less

jedi2.jpg

SUNDAY

Sunday was a short day. I checked out the various exhibits and went back to the vendor area. I stood in line to see exclusive footage from Episode III. It was so good I stood in line again to watch it again. It truly was stunning footage, surpassing anything in the last two movies.

That gave me just a little time before everything closed to go to the autograph area. Most of the big names had already left, but because you guys specifically mentioned Orli Shoshan and Amy Allen, I made a special effort to get their pictures literally at closing time.

Orli Shoshan (Shaak Ti)

Orli_Shoshan_1.jpg

Orli_Shoshan_2.jpg

Amy Allen (Aayla Secura)

Amy_Allen_3.jpg

Amy_Allen_5.jpg

Amy_Allen_6.jpg

More pictures are available at http://www.landofthephotos.com/index.php?category_id=56 and http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/f20050419/ , click on "Celebration III Picture Viewer".

Archived