Home

The New Pope

ShadowTemplar

... has one saving grace: He is old and will hopefully die soon.

Previously known as the Panzer-Cardinal, Ratzinger was, until his appointment to Pope, the leader of the Inquisition.

His track record includes attempting to suppress reformist South American priests, openly supporting Bush in the last election and fabricating slander and outright lies about various birth control measures as part of the Church's official 'won't see, won't hear' stance on AIDS, women's rights and family planning.

Hopefully his appointment will serve as a reminder that the Church is not a friend of humanity and should be denied at every turn.

I've seen him in some interviews last night, obviously he's not the dumb kind of man. In fact, from the church's point of view he's kind of a "genius" (well not really but.. you know).

What i found interresting is that he obviously knows about the "conflict" between the church's values and the time we live in, and that he has some argueable thoughts about it.

The crazy thing is, he said something like "protestant church is not a church" and such, considering that he's pretty much some kind of a hardliner..

He's also responsible for the decision that the "german" catholics church does not support any kinds of antenatal classes (?) because those are necessary to take if a woman considers abortion. But besides that these have mainly a supportive or informative task. I think it is wrong to leave pregnant women alone without any help, wether they consider abortion or are just unsure what they have to expect or want to know where to go for pregnancy-gymnastics.

So after touching that topic, again, I just add I cannot really imagine that any other possible pope would do any "better". It's the Catholic Church, after all.

Its possible he may change his tune now he is pope, like a lot of public figures do when they change roles....

but on the whole he is a very disappointing choice from both a compassion and a modern world standpoint. sigh.

I felt I should contribute with some sources:

For:

A Ratzinger fan club. Unfortunately, my browser fails to connect to it, giving me a "connection timed out" error.

Amicidi de Josef Ratzinger. This page I could link to, but unfortunately it is in Italian or Spanish.

Against:

Could not find any.

Unbiased:

BBC News' biography of Ratzinger, from which I quote:

The new Pope has been chosen from what could be termed the traditional side of the Catholic Church. To some, he heralds intellectual salvation during a time of confusion and compromise. To others, his record as Pope John Paul II's prefect of doctrine showed the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger to be an intimidating "Enforcer", punishing liberal thinkers, and keeping the Church in the Middle Ages.

While many theologians strive for a Catholic Church that is more open and in touch with the world around it, the new Pope's mission has in the past seemed to entailing stamping out dissent, and curbing the "wild excesses" of this more tolerant era.

Promising:rolleyes:.

A compilation of articles on Ratzinger.

I find it sad that a fundamentalist is now in charge of the Catholic Church.

Hopefully his appointment will serve as a reminder that the Church is not a friend of humanity and should be denied at every turn.

That is a pretty harsh statemet there, and I expect you to take a good deal of 37mm flak for it from the religious right;). The Church has arguably done a lot of good things, too, and you have to admit it gives strenght and a feeling of community to many people, the troubled and the happy alike. But their stance against other religions (of course, the Christians aren't the only ones with such problems), homosexuality, contraceptives, and having children outside of marriage bothers me more than a little bit.

Originally written by Cardinal Ratzinger

"Rock" . . . is the expression of elemental passions, and at rock festivals it assumes a cultic character, a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship. People are, so to speak, released from themselves by the experience of being part of a crowd and by the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects. However, in the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down, the participants sink, as it were, beneath the elemental force of the universe.

In other words, according to Ratzinger, rock music equals devil worship.

And don't even get me started on his inhumane views on homosexuality and abortion.

I believe the Catholic Church is digging their own grave. Cruel medieval beliefs have no place in a modern world.

(...) a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship. People are, so to speak, released from themselves by the experience of being part of a crowd and by the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects. However, in the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down, the participants sink, as it were, beneath the elemental force of the universe.

Sounds like a Catholic sermon to me:D.

With the talk of the Da Vinci Code going on, added with the new pope election, I feel I should recommend Dan Brown's book "Angels and Demons". No claiming that the Holy Grail is Magdalena's private organ, just an informative read about the Vatican, including detailed accounts on the Swiss Guard, how the Pope is elected, what national treasures reside in the Vatican, and which attractions it offers. In fact, when I saw the news broadcasts about voting for a new pope, I thought "wow, it's just like in Angels and Demons";).

Click

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle For:

A Ratzinger fan club.[/b]

People who spell 'truth' with a capital 't' should have their heads examined.

That is a pretty harsh statemet there,

Actually, I think not. Every hour...

- 600 humans contract HIV. Most are young, half are women.

- 2400 women recieve an abortion under hazardous conditions

- 11000 women are impregnated against their will.

Source: Politiken

And that's every hour. A year has 365.25 x 24 hours. You do the math.

The Papacy is the single biggest factor in this abomination. So, actually I'm being kinda moderate...

I heard from one person I know that Ratzinger used to be in the hitler youth corp. I don't know if that's true or not. But if it is then my religion is very screwed.

I wasn't that suprised by his election though. On a whole. conservatism has been on the upswing. I just wonder how long it will be before power swings in favor the other side.

Originally posted by JediLiberator

I heard from one person I know that Ratzinger used to be in the hitler youth corp. I don't know if that's true or not. But if it is then my religion is very screwed.

I wasn't that suprised by his election though. On a whole. conservatism has been on the upswing. I just wonder how long it will be before power swings in favor the other side.

I wouldn't count on it. The church is becoming more conservative because the number of catholics is tanking in the western world, but shooting up in more conservative africa.

A conservative pope will just cause the numbers to nose dive even further in europe, america etc... leading to a church that is entirely conservative in membership.

WASHINGTON -- German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, played an indirect role in the 2004 U.S. campaign when he directed Catholic bishops to deny Communion to abortion rights supporters such as Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

But Kerry, a lifelong Catholic and former altar boy, declined to criticize the new pontiff Wednesday.

"The election of a new pope is a great moment of hope, renewal and possibility for the Catholic Church," Kerry said in a statement.

Ratzinger, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote a letter last June to U.S. bishops stating that Catholics who support abortion rights are guilty of a "grave sin" and are unworthy of Communion.

Although he did not mention Kerry or any other person by name, it was widely viewed that he was referring to Kerry when he said the sacrament should be denied in "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws."

Further, his letter said any Catholic who votes for such a candidate is likewise "unworthy."

However, "Not all moral issues have the same moral weight as abortion and euthanasia," Ratzinger wrote. Disagreeing with the pope "on the application of capital punishment or on the decision to wage war" would not make someone unworthy to receive Communion.

He was forced to be a Nazi. Not all Nazis were bad, you know, just because you were a German soldier at the time of Hitler's rule doesn't mean you were some evil person.

Although this doesn't mean that I disagree with your last sentence. ;)

Just because he was member of the Hitler youth, doesn't mean he actually was or still is a Nazi. Like said before, there was not really a choice, you had to join. Many Germans were frightened in those times.

And I don't think anything that supports Nazis (to use a common term) could be "kinda cool".

I've read that as well. And in a fairly trustworthy paper too. Of course, he deserted towards the end of the war, but - frankly - bailing out after '43 shows nothing about his political or ethical views, only that he wasn't a complete idiot.

Still, the vast majority of all German children during those years were in the Hitler-Jugend. It was if not compulsory then... recommended to enroll your children. Failure to do so could be... unhealthy.

So, on balance, I wouldn't hold that against him.

Counting consentual sex that's not planned to lead to pregnancy?

Amongst other things, yes. However, 'consentual' on part of the woman is a bad joke in most cultures.

However, "Not all moral issues have the same moral weight as abortion and euthanasia," Ratzinger wrote. Disagreeing with the pope "on the application of capital punishment or on the decision to wage war" would not make someone unworthy to receive Communion.

Interesting... Where did you get that snippit?

- 11 000 women are impregnated against their will.
Amongst other things, yes. However, 'consentual' on part of the woman is a bad joke in most cultures.

Hrm, sounds like a bit of a skewing of your figures there. ;)

Reminds me of the old ultra-feminist self-fulfilling adage that "all sex is rape, therefore all men are rapists and all women will be raped at least once during their lives".

Originally posted by Spider AL

Hrm, sounds like a bit of a skewing of your figures there. ;)

Reminds me of the old ultra-feminist self-fulfilling adage that "all sex is rape, therefore all men are rapists and all women will be raped at least once during their lives".

Well, that kinda is the situation south of the Sahara...

Originally posted by ShadowTemplar

Still, the vast majority of all German children during those years were in the Hitler-Jugend. It was if not compulsory then... recommended to enroll your children. Failure to do so could be... unhealthy.

He was installed as pope the day after Hitler's birthday.... Not that this is really significant to anyone with critical thinking skills, but the conspiracy-theory nutters have got to be going bonkers! :cool:

"Say five heil Mary's and five our fuhrer's".

[align=center]--- Ratzinger in confession[/align] :D

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/2439745

By WENN

New Pope Benedict XVI has blasted J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books for "undermining the soul of Christianity".

Nicknamed 'God's Rottweiler', Pope Benedict is set to confuse Catholics across the world because his predecessor John Paul II praised the multi-millionaire for her Christian lifestyle.

Benedict, formerly Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is grateful to Harry Potter: Good or Bad author Gabriele Kuby for revealing the hidden agendas behind the popular children's books.

He says, "It is good that you explain the facts of Harry Potter, because this is a subtle seduction, which has deeply unnoticed and direct effects in undermining the soul of Christianity before it can really grow properly."

Leading Christian theologian Uta Ranke-Heinemann, 77, comments, "The Vatican feels it has the copyright on what is good and what is evil and it does not want anyone else infringing its right to this monopoly.

"It will condemn anyone who tries to enter this territory without its permission."

He says, "It is good that you explain the facts of Harry Potter, because this is a subtle seduction, which has deeply unnoticed and direct effects in undermining the soul of Christianity before it can really grow properly."

Better ban the Q'uran, too;). It disagrees with Christianity on several points, you know.

Archived