Home

Xbox-to-USB converter?

So, I wasn't sure which version of Psychonauts to get. Then my Xbox's DVD drive died, and that made the decision a lot easier. So I pre-ordered the PC version. I just found out how to replace my Xbox's DVD drive but it's a bit late for that. Apparently you really want a USB pad to control this game, and being unable to find any reccomendations for good PC USB pads, I figured and Xbox-to-PC USB converter would do the trick. But there seem to be a fair amount on the market. Anyone have reccomendations for the best/most reliable one? Or other gamepads?

I believe that the Xbox controller connectors are effectively just misshapen USB connectors, so it's basically a straight-through connection as long as you know the pinout, so I think just about any one you buy should be okay. I just bought a cheap one on ebay and used some drivers from the web, and it works great.

I'm sure it's easy to solder if you have basic technical know-how, but I can't draw a straight line on paper, much less solder wires and drill things, I'd just injure myself somehow. So yeah, think I'll buy one.

The drivers mentioned at the soldering link said that the trigger buttons and thumbstick buttons (clicking in the thumbsticks) wouldn't work. Is this true for all drivers? The thumbstick buttons aren't a big deal but trigger buttons are kind of important.

I've played using tabacco's xbox controller on a PC (using a retail adapter, not a homemade one) and all the buttons worked. At least that I noticed (including L and R triggers). I don't remember clicking down on the sticks one way or the other though.

I've already got a Logitech xbox controller and usb and xbox extension cords in the mail.

What I really want is to play the PC version of Psychonauts with the button graphics of the X-Box version. I'm pretty sure said graphics aren't on the CD (they weren't on the demo's data files), so I think i'll email Double Fine about it. When I get the game next month, that is.

If anyone has the game already and managed to display said graphics, please let me know.

Oh man, that would be incredible. I'm using a Playstation 2 controller with the PC right now. It works fantastic, but it would be even better if I had the graphics for the PS2 buttons. I'll try and e-mail DoubleFine today, but if anybody hear's anything about how to do this, pass it on.

~dzobel

Archived