Home

Bioware or Obsidian

Bioware captured the feel of Star Wars best, they also kept the existing mythos and milieu.

Obsidian made gameplay improvements but their choice of storyline and execution... left a lot to be desired and let's not forget the complete unrewarding, contradicting and basically pointless experience of the end-game.

So I definitely vote Bioware on this one (if nothing else, because Bioware has grown so big now as they can stand up to LucasArts and get away with it).

personally, i don't care as long as LA doesn't push the release date backwards on us.

IMHO, both OE and Bioware did a fantastic job on both games. still, i wouldn't mind seeing the engine Bioware used in Jade Empire implemented in KotorIII. that would be very nice.

other engines i wouldn't mind seeing implemented:

Source engine (Valve)

Doom3 engine (Id Software)

Crytek engine (Crytek)

Unreal3 engine (Epic Games) ((still in development))

anyways, those are some of my thoughts. :)

boiware deffinetly cuz they went more into character development than obsidian did and the storyline and ending made alot more since than TSL did tough I'd like to see boiware and obsidain KOTOR 3 as a joint project cuz boiware has more RPG's under their belt than Obsidian does but yeah they should use the Jade empire engine on it

I would also have to vote for Bioware. I enjoyed TSL immensely, but replayed KOTOR 1 multiple times because the story and the execution of it felt better done. In KOTOR 1 you were dropped into the middle of the Jedi Civil War. in TSL, you're a wandering exile who is dragged into the fight against who knows what. KotOR 1 was just more enjoyable to me personally.

I liked both K1 and K2, but I would go with OE all the way. They added some great vibes to the whole game that I just loved.

Also, they added a more cinimatic feel to the whole game (hyperspace sequences, Atton's planetary introductions, cutscenes when you board the Ebon Hawk, etc.) that to me was a vast improvment over the previous party banter in-game with K1.

True, the game ending was awful, but that was because they didn't have time to finish it. I've looked over the original endings, and they were awesome. I think that, given a nice long time to finish up, OE would make a masterful K3.

Obsidian.

I've stated this 1,000's of times but o well.

I really preferred the way OE did the story when compared to Bio. The whole, having to figure things out - not having it spoon fed to the player thing. If OE had stood their ground to LA & MS about pushing the release date up, & said it's done when it's done, I'd be alot happier. But for a company to ship a game as massive as TSL in one year (granted the pre-existing engine, etc.), I'd love to see what they'd be capable of without MS & LA breathing down their necks for an early release.

Just my opinion....

Originally posted by Derc

I also said Bioware in this thread, though that one was asking more specifically about TSL.

Correct. I started that thread a long time back (In fact it was my first thread *Wipes an imaginary tear from his eye *). It doesn't matter though, since it was mostly based on TSL.

No matter, I still feel that Bioware was much better. It knows how to make games (Have any of you tried Jade Empire lately? That game rocks!!).

Originally posted by THE MANDALORE

No matter, I still feel that Bioware was much better. It knows how to make games (Have any of you tried Jade Empire lately? That game rocks!!). [/b]

nope waiting for the pc version plus i don't have an x-box

Originally posted by THE MANDALORE

No matter, I still feel that Bioware was much better. It knows how to make games (Have any of you tried Jade Empire lately? That game rocks!!).

i'd be very careful about saying that. last time i checked, OE is made up of a bunch of guys that have been in the gaming industry for a long time.
from Gamespot.com in their TSL preview:

"Who the heck is Obsidian Entertainment, and how are they going to fill BioWare's size 24 shoes?" While the notion of handing the keys to the KOTOR van to an unknown developer may seem to be a pretty daring thing for LucasArts to do, fortunately, Obsidian isn't just another small startup. Though the company may be new, its members bring an impressive amount of experience to the table. Despite the fact that the names Feargus Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Chris Avellone, and Chris Jones may not be immediately recognizable to some gamers, some of their works probably are easily recognized. The quintet's collective resume includes work on an impressive array of well-known games, such as Fallout, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance, and Planescape: Torment. All totaled, the circle of men brings to the table a little more than 40 years of experience making games.

source: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371.html

so to say that Bioware knows how to make games, you imply that OE doesn't. however, that's not the case. get your facts straight before you assume anything. :)

Originally posted by stingerhs

so to say that Bioware knows how to make games, you imply that OE doesn't. however, that's not the case. get your facts straight before you assume anything. :) [/b]

but boiware makes RPG's for the most part and have people that have been around doesn't mean that they can work good together and as far as most people are conserened they are an unproven company

^^^^

so your saying that Kotor II wasn't enough to justify OE as a repuatable developer??

also, to say that OE needs rpg experience is ignorance on your part. every game mentioned in the my previous citation is a highly acclaimed rpg. and don't forget that Kotor II is also a highly acclaimed rpg, despite what you seem to be implying in your post.

again, assumptions aren't going to get you anywhere. facts will. :dozey:

and if i sound harsh, its because you need to make sure what you're posting is factual information. otherwise, you wouldn't have a problem. ;)

Both companys did a great job with the game. I have to say that K1 was a much better game, but Obsidian did a great job with furthering the story in K2. If they had time, imagine how great it would have been. They also made a few gameplay improvements and added a few nice intricacies to that end.

Obsidian is a great company. They just don't have the clout of Bioware to say, "when it's done."

(edited a typo)

Archived