v1.6 released (9/27/06)

- Eliminated need for tlbinf32.dll to be present on computer

- Made 2da writing much faster

v1.5 (add-in) released (9/22/05)

- ThisWorkbook changed to ActiveWorkbook

- Distributed as .xla

http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

Instructions

1. Unzip the .xla file to wherever you like. Open Excel. Choose Tools: Add-Ins.

xla1.jpg

2. Browse to the .xla file.

xla2.jpg

3. Make sure the new Add-In is checked and click OK.

xla3.jpg

4. You can now Read 2DA and Write 2DA files using the File menu.

xla4.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee, I had no idea so many people would use this. I made it just to see if I could since I've been programming Excel macros lately. :p

Darkkender, I think it should work with Excel 97 and later.

The Write function, you'll notice, is significantly slower than KotOR Tool, so if anyone can come up with some optimizations to the macro code, feel free to post them.

I am recieving an error when trying to run the write function macro as follows:

Microsoft Visual Basic:

------------------------

Run-Time error '53':

File not found: TLBINF32

------------------------

I am using Microsoft office 2000 Premium (Excel) with SR-1. I can open the .2DA files but when I try to write them I recieve the error as mentioned above. My Sys Specs:

Win XP Home SP2

AMD Athalon 2200+ 1.8 GHz

512 MB DDR SDRAM

ATI 9550 128 bit 256 MB (Bios flashed to 9600 Pro 256 MB)

SB Audigy 2 LE 24 bit sound

All Latest updates for all.

I would love to be able to use this tool, yet I do not know why I am experiencing this. Any ideas, suggestions?

Edit*BTW great work on the tool, and thanks. Other than above it is superb.

TLBINF32.dll is normally found in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder. Do a search for that file.

If you find it, try this

(from your taskbar)

Start: Run: regsvr32 tlbinf32.dll

If you're getting the error, I wouldn't expect the .2da file to be written correctly.

Originally posted by tk102

Darkkender, I think it should work with Excel 97 and later.

:elephant: :elephant: How did you know that was the version I used.:p

I personally like this for 2da's as I've started taking an interest in NWN modding or more in particular getting the hang of how they mod around some of the hardcoded elements. I'm starting to think with the proper usage of scripting we can write our own include files that provide the ability to use custom 2da files. Also I would be interested in figuring out how the game would recognize ".HAK" files and having them in the proper overide system. If we can do this it may take KOTOR I & II modding to a whole new level.

Originally posted by Darkkender

I'm starting to think with the proper usage of scripting we can write our own include files that provide the ability to use custom 2da files.

I doubt this is possible in KotOR beyond altering the 2DA files already used by some scripting functions. Unfortunately the Get2DAString() function in NWN NWScript is not present in the KotOR variant. NWScript has undergone a fair number of changes in the NWN --> KotOR transition.

Originally posted by Darkkender

Also I would be interested in figuring out how the game would recognize ".HAK" files and having them in the proper overide system. If we can do this it may take KOTOR I & II modding to a whole new level.

Unless you are making your own modules, using hakpaks would be of limited use, since they need to be specified for each module that use the content within them.

The hakpak filename has to be set in the Mod_Hak field in the module.ifo file for all modules using it. They don't work on the global scope like the Override folder does.

Provided that the hakpak functionality still remains available in the KotOR engine, that is. I haven't tested it.

(Hakpaks are the preferred means in NWN of storing custom content (models, tilesets etc) associated with specific individual modules. They are essentially just ERF files with a .hak suffix placed in the "hak" folder.)

• 2 weeks later...

v1.1

Made some small tweaks to the macro to get it to write appearance.2da without crashing. (Thanks for bringing that to my attention Achilles.) It's still takes my PC about 100 seconds to write the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Also added a little progress notification in the status bar of Excel during writing, and a Freeze Panes (for column and row headers) after a Read.

Originally posted by tk102

It's still takes my PC about 100 seconds to write the whole thing. :rolleyes:

I wonder if that's due to the fact that it's a macro, or because it's Visual Basic?

I don't have Excel on this rig, so I can't give it a spin, but I've been working on my own, automatic 2da merger, and it's pretty fast when writing (well, about the same speed as Fred's 2da editor), so I guess it's macro thing.

Archived