Home

Excel Add-In to Read/Write 2da files v1.6

There's probably some tricky technique of creating a hash table in Visual Basic for Applications to determine if values have already been written, but I haven't figured it out yet. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

v1.3

Astrisks are expanded by Excel's Find function, which was resulting in bad writes if the first value wasn't "****".

A potential for bad writing exists if cells contain astrisks (other than "****" which is handled specially). See macro text for details.

• 3 months later...
v1.4 released (8/25/05)

Wow! It's a release from the future! That's absolutely amazing, man!

In all seriousness, this macro kicks major ass. KOTOR Tool is horrible for editing 2DAs in any major way, and being able to edit them in Excel is amazingly useful.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I did have to make one slight fix though. I put the routine into my personal.xls file, so that it's always available. So then the "ThisWorkbook" that you used to write the file gave me errors. I just changed that to "ActiveWorkbook" though, and it ran perfectly. I even gave it custom buttons on my toolbar to run it. You might think about doing all that and package it as an xla add-in (I'd tell you how if I could remember).

Edit tk102: Thanks for the fix and good idea about the .xla -- now I'll have to see how that works. :)

• 1 month later...

v1.5 Released (Excel Add-In)

- Now uses ActiveWorkbook rather ThisWorkbook in macro (as per above)

- Distributed as an Excel Add-In (.xla) rather than a Module (.bas) file.

Instructions

1. Unzip the .xla file to wherever you like. Open Excel. Choose Tools: Add-Ins.

xla1.jpg

2. Browse to the .xla file.

xla2.jpg

3. Make sure the new Add-In is checked and click OK.

xla3.jpg

4. You can now Read 2DA and Write 2DA files using the File menu.

xla4.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep! I had a quick question about this add-in, is there any chance that it would be compatible with OpenOffice Calc? I guess I could just use the GFF<->XML conversion utilities (as far as I remember, .2da are gff files, aren't they?) and then open the .xml with OpenOffice... Anyway, I'm wondering.

<edit />Nope, it seems the GFF<->XML tool won't work with .2da. Well, now I hope somebody will come up with an answer "^^

2da files are 2da files. 2da stands for "Two Dimensional Array". GFF files are a generic file format that handle a variety of different ingame objects such as characters, doors, waypoints, items, placeables, encounters, & more. GFF stands for "Generic File Format". This macro download simply converts the 2da file into an excel spreadsheet since a 2da is a simple spreadsheet. Meanwhile your GFF files are a more complex structure based file with nodes and subnodes withing the structures.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived