Home

does life exist on other planets

RevanA4

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dragonball Fan

Or we could be the first intelligent life in he universe. We have found bacteria on Mars, showing that at one time it probably had some higher form of life also.

Are you sure? If so, I would greatly appreciate a link if you have one, considering bacteria is life, and that would be positive proof that life (in at least some form) exists outside of Earth. My understanding was that we hadn't found any yet.

I would be very, very, very surprised if in all the vastness of space, this was the only place to find life.

I believe there is. Mars point taken on that.

I don't believe its anywhere NEAR us though. I think the odds of another race even remotely close to us isn't prob. I think if there were they would have interacted with us either by accident or otherwise. As was said wouldn't it be something if there was an ancient race on Mars or Earth at one point that history does not mention. The whole Atlantis thing and all. Since near that period some of the most amazing structures were built and architects still have no solid idea how they were constructed. Joints that should have been physically impossible for the day. I say there's evidence to support it. -- That's my two cents.

ok I was waiting for this thread to take off before saying this but the scientific community has a document that states what will take place at the point of first contact I read about it in a popular science magazine once a while ago so they must think it is out there

I too believe that Life is nowhere near us, but there may be thousands of diffrent species that have evolved to their own surroundings. I mean, how much of the universe have we seen? The Solar System. That is like, 2-3% of the Milky Way. Milky Way itself is like, less than 1% of the entire universe. And if we conclude that there cannot possibly be life anywhere, we'll be branded as intergalactic fools.

Exactly. :)

We could be at the end of a monstrously large "badlands" area for the entire universe. Maybe the next 20 galaxies over in every direction is horridly bad areas that all would avoid (even if they were advanced enough to have space travel). There really is no way of knowing until we venture out I think.

If we devoted our planetary effort to solving global issues such as warming and planetary weather control or other advancements in humankind. Think of what the "planet earth" could accomplish! There would be no need to "send help" to africa. The newly installed weather control satallite system would simply engage to produce steady rain to bring fertility back to the soil.

Aaah the possibilities :D

Originally posted by Sabretooth

I too believe that Life is nowhere near us, but there may be thousands of diffrent species that have evolved to their own surroundings. I mean, how much of the universe have we seen? The Solar System. That is like, 2-3% of the Milky Way. Milky Way itself is like, less than 1% of the entire galaxy. And if we conclude that there cannot possibly be life anywhere, we'll be branded as intergalactic fools.

dude the milky way is our galaxy i think you ment the universe cuz using the hubble tellascope we have discovered 3 more galaxies besides ours and the fact is that there beinging no life any where esle is astronomically low

Originally posted by Darth Melignous

If we devoted our planetary effort to solving global issues such as warming and planetary weather control or other advancements in humankind. Think of what the "planet earth" could accomplish! There would be no need to "send help" to africa. The newly installed weather control satallite system would simply engage to produce steady rain to bring fertility back to the soil.

then you would probably wipe out the ecosystem that's living there. major parts of Africa are in drier and more arid places. bringing in a lot of rain would probably have a much more adverse effect on the local ecosystem than it would good.

again, solving man's problems is not always the best solution. personally, i think that there's enough wealth right here in the US to provide enough food and relief to those nations in Africa that actually need help. and that's something we can do right now instead of having to wait for some intelligent scientist to discover how to control the weather. :dozey:

to get back on topic, i think that its possible that life exists elsewhere in the universe. and as interesting of subject matter that it is for sci-fi, it would probably be even more interesting in real life.

but, even if it is possible, i still don't believe that life exists on other worlds. i just simply haven't seen any proof of its existance.

that's not the point. a lot of ecosystems rely on very delicate balances. shift any one of the balances, and the ecosystem is likely to collapse into a new ecosystem. at the same time, you kill off a lot of the former life that thrived within the old ecosystem. if you believe in evolution, then this doesn't really matter much since the strongest will adapt to the situation and eventually master the situation as a new species. and that change, as well as the new species, would be the direct result of man changing weather patterns in order to 'help' the local inhabitants.

of course, its not like that hasn't ever been done before.... :dozey:

and so you're aware: the average US citizen will eat more in a day than most Africans will eat within a week. at the same time, the US is the richest nation in the world. telling me that we don't have the money or resources to help Africa is a bunch of crap. the reason why we don't help Africa is quite simply because most Americans are either ignorant to Africa's plight, or they simply don't care.

Originally posted by Darth Melignous

where's there is water there is life ;) Surely we don't have it all?

Water does not necessarily equate to life. First off, if there is life elsewhere, then we don't know how much it might differ from life here. That said, there are three necessary things for life as we know it: water, energy, and organic molecules. Also, having those does not mean that there is absolutely life, it just means that without it, life as we know it would not exist. Interesting thing is, there are places that we suspect have all three of these components, namely the icy moons of Jupiter (Callisto, Europa, and Ganymede). We haven't done nearly enough exploring there to know one way or the other, but if there is other life in our solar system, it is most likely there (although most likely in the form of primitive life, such as single celled organisms or jellies). There is a plan in the works to study this, but best case senario is we know something in about a decade.

Yep, we sure could send all of our stuff all over the world while we have starving homeless here in the USA. ;)

We can't help everyone.

And I seem to remember when our buildings were collapsing into rubble killing our innocent civs. nary a country had a "save the poor USA fund" for us. :)

Let a storm wipe out a coastline of a country and we come running with aide out the money, and all sorts of goodie shows to raise it. :rolleyes:

I can't think of a nation that has lifted a finger for the most part to aid us in anything to help us??

England was one of our only allies when this "War on Terrorists" began.

ANYWHO:

Well the water thing was meant for other planets NOT here on earth. I was stating that if there was other life somewhere with water or a frozen planet would be a good place to start. The lives of the Africans is a tragedy but not what I was talking about with the water thing...guess that was misleading maybe.

Besides life could be carbon based, or another form of life that we didn't even think was possible. :D It could even exist here with us already just beyond our understanding just out of phase with subspace or the like. It's all possible and it's all good :cool:

Originally posted by jedigoku

dude the milky way is our galaxy i think you ment the universe cuz using the hubble tellascope we have discovered 3 more galaxies besides ours and the fact is that there beinging no life any where esle is astronomically low

Yeah, I meant the universe. A little confusion mistake.

You don't need to start a thread, of course there is life on other planets. There is a lot of evidence, like:

Have you noticed that when looking a picture of our galaxy and see the Sun in our galaxy:

Picture

That the stars nearer to the core are more red, and the ones farther from it are blue?

But the ones as far as our Sun are yellow? It seems like that stars on the same length from the core as the Sun are yellow, with planets, most likely HABBITABLE!!!!:D

Life can vary from attributes of life to evolution, so it doesn't mean that there is no life on non-habbitable planets for us.

I'll give more evidence later.:D

^^^^

umm, you do realize how incredibly delicate it is among all the different systems on our planet that lets life exist??

just because our sun is a fairly medium sized star is only one very small part of the requirements neccessary for life to exist on our planet. this is why i tend to doubt that life exists elsewhere since the requirements for life on our own planet are so incredibly complex.

if you give me a couple hours to get my classes out of the way, i would be more than happy to provide you with multiple sources that show how complex the requirements for life actually are. ;)

dude you do know that I asked people what they thought on the subject since it is widely debated amoung many people and the fact is that our situation here on earth is just perfict to sustane life when many many factor figure into it like the gravitational pull of the sun and other planets around us, the atmosphere and many more

@Vladimir-Vlada I've talked to lots of people and this subject is a very debate able one and I opened the thread to see what others thought

Originally posted by Prime

There is life out there.

I've already been "probed."

:lol: :lol:

While I myself have not been "probed".. I'd have to agree with Prime...

This Universe is far too large to think that we are the only living thing out there...

Perhaps moreso I think, is this subject has too many "broad" interpretations added to the mix.

What's your definition of life? Are we talking microbial or "human-esque"...

In either case, who's to say that life can't live beyond the 'environment' of Earth's seemingly perfect mix. Many microbial forms of life have been discovered in very 'hostile environments' and to think that we are the only 'living' thing in the cosmos is human arrogance/ignorance.

Please, I don't mean "arrogance/ignorance" in an insulting manner, but as a Human condition and way of thinking that Man as a species is the "end-all-be-all" evolutionary step. Ignorance in the fact that we as a species simply "don't know" what can and can't survive in anything other than Earth's chemical soup.

Until we discover something that defies our pre-conceived laws of physics point of view unfortunately, IMO I don't think many people will supportive to the theory of "Life Out There". Because of our conceptions of Science and Physics... maybe we're just looking in the wrong place??

ie - Yeah, the Sun is hot... but who's to say something isn't living in it... (our textbooks, that's what)... Well, that and the fact that we tend to "melt" if we get too close.. hehehe..

I myself think there has to be something out there.. be it a microbial bacteria.. or a ittle green man evolved from Super-Science ;)

I just hope they still have their phonographs/turntables to play our golden record we sent decades ago :rolleyes:

Archived