Home

Legacy of the Force

Shok_Tinoktin

Celebration 3 has brought our first look at the 9-part post-NJO series, Legacy of the Force.

...The books will feature conflict stemming from "planetary interests that threaten peace" and Luke will be plagued by visions of "approaching darkness". Much of it will take place in the Outlands. ... Returning characters will include all the majors plus Tenel Ka, Wedge, Saba, and the female Sith from the Marvel comics. Hobbie, Tycho, and Corran Horn will also have roles. It was also hinted that Anakin may return as a Force ghost. The biggest surprise was that Boba Fett and the new Mandalorians will play a major role in the series. ... Also look for the mystery of Vergere to be resolved and a "cicrle" with the prequel era.

It's sounding pretty good to me, so far!

Lumiya, of course. Not that I've read that series, but I do recall that much. You'd be surprised how much you pick up reading through the lit boards over at TF.N... :p

I would guess that, given the immense popularity of the KotOR games and the new trend toward including game characters (ie Kyle Katarn) in the regular EU, the ideas of the games will get a mention. I don't know how they could skip KotOR II's twist on galactic history... :D

I've this scary feeling that Luke's visions of approaching darkness could mean pure awesomeness. I read a quote from Sue Rostoni, who often posts on the SW.com threads, a tag from one of the later books in Legacy of the Force, apparently, indicating that Luke will demonstrate once and for all in a "lighting display of skill" (or something to that effect) why he is the greatest Jedi Master of all time. Though I'm not sure I buy his being greater than Obi-Wan... waits till Ep. III to decide.

c'mon, how can Luke be the greatest Jedi Master of all time !!... if it wasnt for anakin, Luke would be DEAD...

greatest jedi master = yoda... the only jedi to survive the jedi purge... considering who he will have fought and survived, he's an awesome little muppet ! :D

mtfbwya

I don't know... Luke single-handedly rebuilt the Jedi order from the ruins of the Empire. No, seriously, I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that statement... it's Sue Rostoni's quote, not mine. :D Course, I'm going to disagree with you on Anakin's saving of him being proof.

After all, the general consensus is that Luke had had some roughly 3.5 to 4 weeks of real training by the time he faced the Emperor and Vader? While Anakin had trained as a Jedi for some 12-13 years and spent another 2 decades as the right-hand henchman of the greatest Dark Lord of the Sith in the history of the modern Sith. The fact that Luke even had a chance against Vader is a pretty strong case for him...

Now, don't get me wrong, I've a lot of respect for Yoda. But he didn't so much "survive" the purge as hide it out in a place where the Emperor couldn't find him. And it was Luke, not Yoda, who defeated the Empire. But I'll give you the "Awesome Muppet" part...

yoda obviously has problems dealing with sidious.... but part of it may be due to the fact that he was on his last legs... if he was younger, Im sure he could have done more...perhaps..

Luke cant surely have been stronger than anakin, even fully trained. Anakin was (supposeldy) created by the midichlorians, whereas Lukes mother was a mere mortal :)

now Ben Skywalker, being the progeny of two of the most powerful jedi in the galaxy is likely to be pretty awesome... I just hope his character is interesting and well written by the time he matures...

mtfbwya

Meh, perhaps. It depends on how he's written. Honestly, I've got a bad feeling about his character, but I coudl be pleasantly surprised. I hope I am, but I'm not counting on it - I'm already having visions of yet more whiny Skywalker-ness.

Luke's mother may have been a "mere mortal" but you know as well as I what any guy on this board thinks of that "mere mortal," Astro.

I don't know that Yoda could have ever defeated Sidious, unless perhaps on the dark side himself. But you've got to give Luke credit - he took on 2 Sith Lords with a grand total of 4 weeks of training. And he beat one of them, and resisted the other quite a long time. Not bad for a practically untrained brat. The fact that he eventually "lost" doesn't diminish that at all; in fact, his moral victory "No, your majesty. I'm a Jedi, llke my father before me," lightsaber tossed away shows a strength that even Yoda and Ben never saw coming - they only saw him killing the Emperor and Vader, never overcoming through peace. I think that by the time of the Legacy series (trying to stay at least a little bit on topic here, I am) he could easily rival any of the old Jedi Masters for skill and wisdom. Think of everything he's been through. He survived going to the dark side, marrying Mara Jade (can you imagine?:p), the Yuuzhan Vong (including getting stabbed by super-amphistaff Shimrra), etc.

I'll agree with you about Luke and Anakin to a certain extent: that is, Anakin had more pure potential (though I think it can be argued that it's not by a ton). But Luke is, by the end of the NJO, far more powerful than Anakin ever was, because he has much more experience, training (if a little rough at times), has overcome much more, and is far more centered. I think it's hard to argue with the Master who recreated an order murdered by his father and father's master.

I'll be curious to see how Jacen's growing ability plays into the "great Jedi" group, too. And how we'll change our minds about Obi-Wan's abilities after Ep. III... :D *is counting down the days* I have tickets for the 21st, and I'm stoked... midnight showings were, of course, sold out before I got out of my classes the day they went on sale, and I didn't have a credit card handy to buy them online... yargh.

c'mon keralys, the fact that padme(natalie portman) is easy on the eyes doesnt mean she is any more or less stronger in the force !! In fact, she doesnt really do as much a$$kickin as Leia did in the OT :D

I belong to teh school of thought that Vader *let* luke win....he submits to Luke, watch carefully !

mtfbwya

Archived